• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2006 11:13 am
Tags:
None
Nov 18, 2004
429 posts
3 upvotes

How do you grind flax seed?

What machine/method is the most efficient way of grinding flax seed into powder? (I know they sell ground flax seed at the bulk food stores, but it's not as effective as freshly ground ones).

I've tried pepper mill & food processor...didn't work.

Thanks.
19 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 30, 2002
12415 posts
1 upvote
31 Spooner St. NIFOC
Coffee grinder?
:hay:

[You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves, they wanna tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period.]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5428 posts
171 upvotes
BC
i use a coffee grinder... spice grinder works the same
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6210 posts
79 upvotes
You could use the food mill attachment that goes on the kitchen aid stand mixer... but that can get expensive.
Banned
Jul 25, 2005
395 posts
2 upvotes
Chilliwack, BC
I use a small little electric coffee bean grinder for mine, and it grinds it into a nice thin powder. The only question I have, is how do other people take their flax seed? I usually just mix a few spoons into a glass of milk, but since it doesn't dissolve, it's not easy to drink. Any other suggestions?

On a side note, I was using flax seeds to combat mild depression, but have since started taking fish oil pills, which has done wonders! Besides, it's also good for cholesterol.. so either way, you win.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
1931 posts
175 upvotes
kjvandenberg wrote:I use a small little electric coffee bean grinder for mine, and it grinds it into a nice thin powder. The only question I have, is how do other people take their flax seed? I usually just mix a few spoons into a glass of milk, but since it doesn't dissolve, it's not easy to drink. Any other suggestions?

On a side note, I was using flax seeds to combat mild depression, but have since started taking fish oil pills, which has done wonders! Besides, it's also good for cholesterol.. so either way, you win.
glad to hear about your solution to your depression.

I usually take flax seen with my protein shakes.
Nov 29, 2003
400 posts
kjvandenberg wrote:I use a small little electric coffee bean grinder for mine, and it grinds it into a nice thin powder. The only question I have, is how do other people take their flax seed? I usually just mix a few spoons into a glass of milk, but since it doesn't dissolve, it's not easy to drink. Any other suggestions?

I take it in orange juice... flax + milk just tastes so bad to me. Apple sauce works well too!
Jan 30, 2005
787 posts
The blender seems to work well for me. I do a large batch and store the rest in the refrigerator. When i do use it, (I often forget > :( ) I put a tablespoon in my oatmeal. Else i sprinkle some on my salad (gives it a nutty flavour). Or if I'm baking I try to put it in my baked goods too!

Drinking it doesn't sound too tasty.
A good friend will help you move.
A really good friend will help you move a body.
Dec 23, 2003
806 posts
10 upvotes
Newmarket
Top your cereal with a spoonful...my girlfriend thinks it tastes great.
[OP]
Nov 18, 2004
429 posts
3 upvotes
Thanks for all your inputs.
We will definitely try the coffee grinder suggestion.
We don't want to grind a big batch because they lose their advantages (lower cholesterol etc.) after 2 weeks.

Anymore suggestions?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
2126 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
spoon it in your mouth and flush it down with water. No mess, no mixing.
Banned
Feb 11, 2006
1976 posts
Coffe grinder definitely works, but you pretty much need a dedicated one - otherwise it tastes like coffee (surprise!). Still, they're only $15-20 nowadays for one of those last forever Braun units.

And it's definitely worth grinding your own, since the flax oil goes rancid quickly after grinding. Fresh is best, especially for flax's reputed medical benefits.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2058 posts
40 upvotes
Mississauga
Store the ground flax seed in the refrigerator. The cold prevents it from going bad.
Jan 16, 2006
704 posts
53 upvotes
I use my cheapo coffee grinder .. works great. You can store unground seeds in your pantry but your ground seeds should be stored in the refigerator for no more than 2 or 3 weeks.

I take my flax in the morning in my shake. Blend up some frozen fruit, soy milk and a couple tablespoons of flax .. makes for a nice smoothie plus it helps with the fruit intake .. if you're not big on eating fruits :lol:
× < >