• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2017 10:06 pm
Tags:
Feb 5, 2008
565 posts
133 upvotes
Jay-c wrote:
Apr 4th, 2017 9:36 am
Can't beat these scanners... Not cheap, but they just work. Love mine for document scanning.

I use a Neat scanner for my receipts - it's got pretty good recognition to grab the vendor name (it isn't always perfect the first time but once you correct it, subsequent scans will get it right!), can sort it and categorize.. then export into excel. It also allows to export an entire folder (multiple receipts) into a single PDF document, for easy archiving. This way you don't have to worry about having their software installed in future years in case you need to dig up anything.
I've never heard of or used any of these receipt scanners and finding real LEGIT, user reviews out there seem to be few and far between.

Which Neat scanner do you have? Would you highly recommend it?

Any reason why you wouldn't? Are there ever any issues when detecting items like GST amount?
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2004
1085 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
projectrs2 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 5:22 pm
I've never heard of or used any of these receipt scanners and finding real LEGIT, user reviews out there seem to be few and far between.

Which Neat scanner do you have? Would you highly recommend it?

Any reason why you wouldn't? Are there ever any issues when detecting items like GST amount?
Yes I'd recommend it. It's inexpensive, and it does what it is meant to do. If it is a new receipt that it has never seen before, it can read the date wrong, or the store name wrong, or not know where the GST line is etc... but once you correct it, it "learns" a bit and it will get it next time assuming the format of the receipt hasn't changed.

Is it perfect? no... but it works. There are subscription based ones that I've heard are good as well, take a picture with your phone and it does the same thing. I've never tried them but hear they're good. Would be handy to not have the extra equipment on your desk but for me it doesn't matter.

Also, the NEAT software allows direct import of PDFs as receipts that you may have gotten via email or through online banking. I assume this is the same with other services but again, never tried.

Hope that helps.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel