Computers & Electronics

How do you map an entire nas drive in file manager?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 4:10 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
3264 posts
732 upvotes

How do you map an entire nas drive in file manager?

I can only do individual folders but that becomes exhausting when there are many folders. I would like to do it with the entire drive but there are no easy instructions I can find for that. Thanks.
6 replies
Jun 12, 2018
21 posts
21 upvotes
vivibaby wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 5:57 pm
I can only do individual folders but that becomes exhausting when there are many folders. I would like to do it with the entire drive but there are no easy instructions I can find for that. Thanks.
https://superuser.com/questions/506360/ ... t-a-folder

With that said, there's no reason you can't just make a folder called ext_drive and then move everythig into that folder before mapping it. Because it's not a copy command, it's just moving the pointers and should only take a few seconds.

Generally on file shares, you want to map the folders though as you can pass through different permissions depending on the folder.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1043 posts
494 upvotes
Barrie ON
The idea of a NAS is that you can limit who is allowed to access specific folders.

For example you may have a bunch of movies you want your children to be able to see, and then a number of movies you don't want them to see. To do this you would create a folder called "Kids Movies" and make it accessible to everyone in the family. You would create another folder called "Adult Movies" and only give access to mom and dad. You may also have a folder where you keep your Quickbooks database, and you want to make sure that absolutely nobody can get access and accidentally mess things up, so you only give access to yourself.

Because every shared folder on a NAS has specific security restrictions, you might want to think of them as individual private drives. As such you cannot map the entire NAS drive to a single drive on a Windows workstation.

If you really want everything on the drive to be accessed with a single mapped drive in Windows, then just create a single shared folder ( for example ext_drive as n3twork suggested). Then copy all the folders you currently have, to become sub-folders of the ext_drive folder. This is no different than the way you access everything below the root folder of your Windows C: drive right now. The problem with this method is that if you give your family access to the ext_drive folder, you can no longer keep your kids from accessing the Adult Movies.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11116 posts
1077 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Can you create a master directory on the NAS, and in this directory, you have shortcuts to all the other directories that you want access to? Then all you have to do would be to map the master directory.

Originally, I thought of making symbolic links in the master directory, but I'm not sure if that would work, either.
Jun 12, 2018
21 posts
21 upvotes
rabbit wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 2:01 am
Can you create a master directory on the NAS, and in this directory, you have shortcuts to all the other directories that you want access to? Then all you have to do would be to map the master directory.

Originally, I thought of making symbolic links in the master directory, but I'm not sure if that would work, either.
Samba, which I'm assuming you're referencing based on the use of "symbolic links" rather than "shortcuts" allows for symbolic links with some minor changes to smb.conf -- Again though, it's probably just easiest to move the folders into that master directory if you can. The only time I'll use symbolic links is if the following happens.

You have two one 1TB drives. You have 1.5TB of... lets say, movies.

drive one: /media/drive_one/Movies
drive_two: /media/drive_two/Movies

Symlink for share and plex and stuff in drive one:

/media/drive_one/Movies/drive_two/ links to --> /media/drive_two/Movies

So when you browse into drive one, you have access to drive two and you don't have to add different libraries or folder shares.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11116 posts
1077 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
n3twork wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 8:38 am
Again though, it's probably just easiest to move the folders into that master directory if you can.
Yeah, thinking about this again, if there's not that many user groups and there isn't a lot of overlap, it might be easiest to just make separate master directories (eg. \Adult , \Family). Maybe not the most elegant solution, but it might cut down on the number of shares to a manageable number.