Parenting & Family

How do you monitor your kids on internet and control their time?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2017 12:21 pm
[OP]
Mar 11, 2017
171 posts
21 upvotes
BC

How do you monitor your kids on internet and control their time?

Hi all,

I wonder how do you effectively control your kids' internet time and monitor what they do while they are on internet from tablets and PCs.
I started looking for a program or device to monitor and control. I am using Norton Family, but it seems it is not enough. Heard about Koalasafe and Circle Disney. Not sure how easy and good they are.
Any suggestion?
34 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2428 posts
542 upvotes
Toronto
Over the summer, we took their devices away 10am-6pm no devices.

We also don't give them wifi passwords, so enter it in manually.
This works with a 11&13 year old who respect our consistent boundaries. The 11 yr old (boy!) will cry every so often, but oh well. As long as your very consistent, they get it. And it quickly becomes the norm.

We haven't found any of those timed apps/software easy to use, so we just went with the old fashioned methods (ie. removing access to cords, no access to passwords ect)
Aug 23, 2017
56 posts
41 upvotes
Quebec
For us all computers/tablets etc. must stay in common areas of the house, never in the bedroom (or bathroom!) We have a desktop PC in the main living area, the screen is visible to anyone walking past, so no hiding. Other than that, we don't use any software, we can review the browser logs and a password is required for all administrative access, so they can't install random stuff.

In short, physical control is much better than using parental-control programs.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
2787 posts
603 upvotes
BC
I use DinnerTime Plus app and it works really well.
Mar 24, 2015
577 posts
125 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Laptop is in the family room. Kids are not allowed to use laptop or tablet in their bedrooms.
Jul 13, 2008
47 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
You should be able to limit access through your router. My router is flashed with Tomato, and the menu options allows you to set access restrictions based on the individual MAC ID of your devices(Phone/tablet/etc). I created a rule to turn off the wireless at night for everything, as everyone should be asleep in our house :-)
[OP]
Mar 11, 2017
171 posts
21 upvotes
BC
Thanks for all your comments. I also found out that TELUS, through its advanced setting, supports individual down time by entering each MAC address. I will check DinnerTime Plus app too.
[OP]
Mar 11, 2017
171 posts
21 upvotes
BC
DinnerTime Plus:

"How many children’s devices can I manage from my parental phone?

You can link up to two children’s devices to your parental phone for the ‘DinnerTime Plus’.
You can unlink and delete a connected child's device at any time. This action will free up an available connection.
‘DinnerTime Plus’ comes with an optional one-time in-app purchase ($3.99) which unlocks a detailed usage reporting feature and enables you to link up to five kid’s devices."
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3624 posts
1071 upvotes
Toronto
It really has depended on age though. Right now (tween/teen) we restrict access through timed controls on our apple router (on all devices, plus the Xbox). In terms of monitoring, I occasionally check what they're doing online and have passwords for social media and phone access. I'm trying to instill self-regulation more than anything though.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15859 posts
4736 upvotes
Ottawa
Lead by example.
Everyone and not just the kids should be limited and that includes work related usage.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2004
1689 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 4:04 pm
Lead by example.
Everyone and not just the kids should be limited and that includes work related usage.
Exactly. My sister is the worst offender. Constantly tells her kids no phones allowed at the dinner table yet always checking hers every few minutes. Even my wife had to politely "remind" her to keep the phone in the other room to make it less distracting.
Jan 16, 2007
621 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
I've banned all handheld devices on the weekdays. I hand out the devices on the Friday after school and take back the devices Sunday night. Shared computer is in the family room and control access time to internet via router. No devices in bedroom ever.
That's it.
[OP]
Mar 11, 2017
171 posts
21 upvotes
BC
I am going to move my PC to the family room since he is using mine for his Youtube channel & videos. I gave him a laptop that I am not using but he says it is too slow for his gaming.

I gave them 3 days/week to choose as "no screen day." They can have 2 hours max on Monday and Friday, and little more on Saturday and Sunday.
Norton Family Premier came up as #1 parental software in my search. Will try it to see if that satisfies me since I am using Norton antivirus anyway.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3187 posts
512 upvotes
My biggest issue is to filter content (youtube, browsing, etc).
Kids watch youtube music/cartoons and occasionally content coming next is not age appropriate.
Is there software/proxy/dns solution that can do deep packet inspection on the fly to flag inappropriate stuff?
I was thinking of creating kids wifi with locked down content filtering - not device centric, but dedicated network for kids (supporting more than one device)
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
May 22, 2016
819 posts
136 upvotes
Ontario
I actually physically go and check on them and tell them no more. No need to set restrictions on all the gizmos.