Parenting & Family

How do you monitor your kids on internet and control their time?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2017 12:21 pm
Jan 2, 2015
974 posts
364 upvotes
webshark wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 12:05 am
I actually physically go and check on them and tell them no more. No need to set restrictions on all the gizmos.
I used to do this to because my kids are pretty good about their technology. However, I do recommend controls,
To all parents, my oldest was googling some school information, and ended up with a whole bunch of smut. She was pretty upset. Just remember once they see something, they can't unsee it Disappointed Face. U less you are sitting there almost the whole time some controls some times are needed. Mind you this is for younger kids. Now my kids are older, I have different controls,
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
[OP]
Mar 11, 2017
171 posts
21 upvotes
BC
Macx2mommy wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:20 am
I used to do this to because my kids are pretty good about their technology. However, I do recommend controls,
To all parents, my oldest was googling some school information, and ended up with a whole bunch of smut. She was pretty upset. Just remember once they see something, they can't unsee it Disappointed Face. U less you are sitting there almost the whole time some controls some times are needed. Mind you this is for younger kids. Now my kids are older, I have different controls,
My son was googling and Youtubing and came across some inappropriate contents for his age (13). I see that he didn't spend much time watching but it makes me nervous.
Jan 2, 2015
974 posts
364 upvotes
syphonefly wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 1:24 pm
My son was googling and Youtubing and came across some inappropriate contents for his age (13). I see that he didn't spend much time watching but it makes me nervous.
My kids are pretty good at closing down things when they are not sure, but it came up quite innocently. We have really good controls and filters on the laptops, but the iPads and phones are more difficult to filter. We have set the the accounts that any time there is a download, it goes to the family account for permission. NEVER ALLOW SNAPCHAT if they are young. We have stronger filters on the laptops. We encourage the kids to use the laptop instead. All ip addresses and sites are logged if they go through our wifi, and can not deleted unless by the administrator aka dad.

Technology is not allowed on the bedrooms and wifi auto shuts off at certain times.
All emails have a copy sent to the adult accounts. We don't read them unless there is some suspicious .

We do talk about a lot of the stuff they see, security, viruses, phases, etc. When we see a spam or phishing email we show the kids and tell them what to look for.

It's challenging to balance letting the kids have some fun and filtering out all the crap out there.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2007
3184 posts
510 upvotes
DinnerTime Plus is monitoring app that doesn't prevent kids to see inappropriate content. Yes, activities are logged, but parent's cannot un see what kids already saw online. Alternative: physical control.

OpenDNS (part of Cisco now) - when request submitted to translate name (eg www.redflagdeals.com) to an IP address, OpenDNS decides if this is allowed (filters all known adult content). Works for all home devices, no installation necessary, easy to configure. Doesn't work inside apps (eg youtube, unless external link).
After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: it never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It was always my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight!
Jul 27, 2017
489 posts
138 upvotes
GTA
I find this topic interesting, especially post# 2, 3 & 5 good responses. Of course being seniors not having to deal with 'technology at home as well as not having grandchildren, all I can say is good luck with it & that one day you won't have to be concerned about it.

Reflections sitting in my armchair, whether it's today or back when I was a kid in the 1950's to when most of you posting here were kids, kids are smarter than you think, devious when it comes to finding ways around the impossible obstacle .

On the 'devices & services' the kid has that are paid by a parent, you know, those 'smart devices' phones, computers, internet & the kicking & screaming when a parent puts up a fuss around 'too much time spent' to who are you talking/texting or what are you looking at on the internet at home or in the confines of their own space.

As a senior I'm old fashioned/backward (dinosaur) when it comes to technology of the fact that kids as well as mostly adults are so attached to their personal technology devices, the world around them would be in a turmoil without them.

Makes you wonder how many parents/adults are connected 24/7?

Of course many will say 'this is the world today - get over it'

To the parents that make these devices available to their children, don't get upset when your "kid" starts a temper tantrum 'just because' - after all it's parents that make it the 'way that it is'

As for the kids, if it's not available at/from home, then it's 'resort to other available resources'
Mar 24, 2015
576 posts
125 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
porticoman wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 11:11 am
I find this topic interesting, especially post# 2, 3 & 5 good responses. Of course being seniors not having to deal with 'technology at home as well as not having grandchildren, all I can say is good luck with it & that one day you won't have to be concerned about it.

Reflections sitting in my armchair, whether it's today or back when I was a kid in the 1950's to when most of you posting here were kids, kids are smarter than you think, devious when it comes to finding ways around the impossible obstacle .

On the 'devices & services' the kid has that are paid by a parent, you know, those 'smart devices' phones, computers, internet & the kicking & screaming when a parent puts up a fuss around 'too much time spent' to who are you talking/texting or what are you looking at on the internet at home or in the confines of their own space.

As a senior I'm old fashioned/backward (dinosaur) when it comes to technology of the fact that kids as well as mostly adults are so attached to their personal technology devices, the world around them would be in a turmoil without them.

Makes you wonder how many parents/adults are connected 24/7?

Of course many will say 'this is the world today - get over it'

To the parents that make these devices available to their children, don't get upset when your "kid" starts a temper tantrum 'just because' - after all it's parents that make it the 'way that it is'

As for the kids, if it's not available at/from home, then it's 'resort to other available resources'
I agree with you and I'm not that old. Late 30s. and my husband too.
We have dinner together everyday and we don't allow cell phones at the table. I switch off the TV when we eat and we have conversations about the day, etc. When we go out for dinner, I see a lot of the parents always on their phone.

My 7yr old asked Santa for a cell phone. Hell no. The day he's old enough for a cell phone, he will get a cheap $50 phone (not a iphone) on a pay-as-you-go, just like the phone I'm using now. Till last year he was using my laptop who is next to my husband's laptop. We got him one because I work from home and doesn't want him to mess things up, but he has to share it with his brother. He wanted a TV in his bedroom too. Said no.

My son liked to watch the tablet in the car. I know it meant peace and quiet but when my second was born, we never gave him one. To this day he doesn't need one. He would happily look outside, listen to the music and talk to us. My older son doesn't need the tablet now. I tell him to chat with his brother.

Speaking of what's available, an example is this: In my husbands car, they like to choose the song they want to listen. They sometimes fight on what song to listen to next etc. That's because we gave them that option. In my car, there's only radio (old 2007 car). So they don't have a choice really and they are not fussy about songs. They just listen to whatever is on the radio.

I think the key is not to make them become dependent on the technologies. If there are other things to do, they won't miss it. We try to have them play outside or book activities for them after school so that when we are home, there isn't much time for laptop/tablet/TV.
Jan 16, 2007
620 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
With 20/20 hindsight, it was a huge mistake to give my kid the devices in the first place. She didn't even like them when she first started using them.

These devices are basically drugs for us and them and self control and discipline simply won't work for any kind of of addiction.

Now I control them with an iron fist and I can't let my guard down. I caught her installing and using Hotspot shield on her phone cause she says her online friends tells her it will bypass her schools banned sites.

Now I require the devices to be without passwords and I need to do random spot checks for apps and look at her browser history.

I never signed up to be her enforcement officer, but I am now for the foreseeable future.
Jun 23, 2016
28 posts
8 upvotes
Are you actually serious? You use a freaking APP to control your kids device time? Seriously? That is one of the saddest things I have ever heard.
Jan 2, 2015
974 posts
364 upvotes
I totally think one needs to fight technology with t chnolpgy. I use an app, my router, my spouses programming ability, and very other tool including supervision, discussions, education. At the end of the day, despite our constant supervision, we are not there all the time.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3616 posts
1056 upvotes
Toronto
Mindy82 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 1:40 pm
Are you actually serious? You use a freaking APP to control your kids device time? Seriously? That is one of the saddest things I have ever heard.
How do you manage it? (Frankly, I've heard considerably sadder things in my life that a parent trying to control their child's internet usage but whatevs... )

I know people who use apps and special routers built for the purpose and people who don't give their kids devices at all... to each their own. The OP asked how people monitor their kids time. Everyone's just trying to help out.
Jun 23, 2016
28 posts
8 upvotes
How do I manage it? Um, I tell them no devices. They listen. If they don't, take them away. It's pretty simple.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3616 posts
1056 upvotes
Toronto
Mindy82 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 7:12 am
How do I manage it? Um, I tell them no devices. They listen. If they don't, take them away. It's pretty simple.
Awesome - long may that continue for you :)
[OP]
Mar 11, 2017
171 posts
21 upvotes
BC
webshark wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 12:05 am
I actually physically go and check on them and tell them no more. No need to set restrictions on all the gizmos.
Only concern is that my son 'accidentally' gets to adult content (inappropriate) websites. Although I can see that he didn't spend any time there, It still happened a couple of times.
Jan 16, 2007
620 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
syphonefly wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 12:34 pm
Only concern is that my son 'accidentally' gets to adult content (inappropriate) websites. Although I can see that he didn't spend any time there, It still happened a couple of times.
It's not the inappropriate sites that the big issue here. I can actually live with the odd pron site popping up on browers, intentionally or not. The problem is the Instagrams/snapchats/kik apps where they contact/meet up with strangers and can get into all types of troubles. Tons of inappropriate content on Instagram alone. My daughter even admits to this fact.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3616 posts
1056 upvotes
Toronto
NubNub wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 12:55 pm
It's not the inappropriate sites that the big issue here. I can actually live with the odd pron site popping up on browers, intentionally or not. The problem is the Instagrams/snapchats/kik apps where they contact/meet up with strangers and can get into all types of troubles. Tons of inappropriate content on Instagram alone. My daughter even admits to this fact.
and the middle/highschool bullying. Not just from strangers. Also "friends" - we thankfully haven't dealt with this but we've got lots of friends who have (mostly parents of girls).