Tags:
None
Jul 19, 2003
686 posts
86 upvotes
Markham
cjottawa wrote:
Jul 4th, 2012 10:22 pm
100% agree with you there! Most people would be best served sticking with a basic index fund based portfolio such as those detailed by Canadian Couch Potato: http://canadiancouchpotato.com/model-portfolios/
(myself included)
Do you DRIP your index ETFs? Or constantly add your savings amounts to them?
Aug 1, 2006
949 posts
62 upvotes
"no fees"? Are you kidding, right? The management fees and other brokerage operations are hidden within MER itself. Also, even with their "fiduciary duty" (always good on paper only), they can always decrease the value of the units and steal a "bit" of money from there.

I don't trust the mutual funds here in Canda, even when advertising low MERs. In fact, Canada is starting more and more to look like a "financial crooks paradise" - white collar crimes which go unsanctioned by the government (see Conrad Black etc).
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3819 posts
1630 upvotes
smihaila wrote:
Jul 7th, 2012 9:11 am
"no fees"? Are you kidding, right? The management fees and other brokerage operations are hidden within MER itself. Also, even with their "fiduciary duty" (always good on paper only), they can always decrease the value of the units and steal a "bit" of money from there.

I don't trust the mutual funds here in Canda, even when advertising low MERs. In fact, Canada is starting more and more to look like a "financial crooks paradise" - white collar crimes which go unsanctioned by the government (see Conrad Black etc).
I dunno. I looked at TD e-Series Canadian fund over at Globefund, and after accounting for MER, this fund's tracking against the index looks fairly reasonable to me.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2003
2137 posts
22 upvotes
Paa
McPaul wrote:
Jul 5th, 2012 1:39 am
I pick a broken stock of a highly reputable company that is highly volatile. I usually only have a couple to four stocks at any one time and ALL my money is in there. I keep an eye on the stock and sell as soon as it's gained between 10-15%. sometimes I use limit sell orders. 12% seems like a nice round number. I do that repeatedly throughout the year and watch my money "compound" throughout the year. I'll do both: cycle through the same stock multiple times, or pick new stocks. sometimes it takes a couple of weeks to get to that range and sell, sometimes it takes several months. thus far this year I've completed 8 cycles. average of 1*1.12 8 times = 2.48 times my original investment. a decent return. Sometimes I catch a dividend, which helps. I invest 100% in the US through Waterhouse.

Perhaps sometime after Canada has a banking crisis and bank stocks get hammered and then start to recover, I'll start putting large amounts into Canadian bank stocks, but not yet.
How do you decide when to sell on the downside?
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19041 posts
1500 upvotes
Stryker wrote:
Jul 7th, 2012 3:50 pm
I dunno. I looked at TD e-Series Canadian fund over at Globefund, and after accounting for MER, this fund's tracking against the index looks fairly reasonable to me.
I am pretty sure the eSeries funds are totally automated to track the index. I don't think there is a person involved at all which is why they have such a low MER for a big bank.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3819 posts
1630 upvotes
brunes wrote:
Jul 10th, 2012 8:28 pm
I am pretty sure the eSeries funds are totally automated to track the index. I don't think there is a person involved at all which is why they have such a low MER for a big bank.
Brunes,

Rick Carrick of the G&M wrote an article just over a year ago, "TD's e-series funds: Easy to love, hard to buy"

"Tom Dyck knows the conspiracy theory about the well-loved but frustratingly elusive e-series of index funds he oversees as president of TD Mutual Funds."

" Mr. Dyck has a team of people working on the sales issue."

I myself, purchase TD e-Series funds along with broad based index ETF's through TD Waterhouse for the RRSP's. Easy enough to buy for me.
Oct 24, 2010
79 posts
4 upvotes
Before I even think about the holding part, the question is:
Do I even dare to pick stocks? Do I have any clue how to quantify a company? Do I even know how to look at their financial statements? How do i even value a business?