Shopping Discussion

How do you pay Canada Post import tax/duties/etc?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2014 5:30 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 7, 2014
5 posts
Vancouver, BC

How do you pay Canada Post import tax/duties/etc?

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I just passed by this forum so I'm not really sure where everything is.

I want to get an item shipped over from another country, it'll be around CDN$140. I'm expecting handling fees, tax, and duty fees, but how exactly do we pay them? I've never had the need to pay these so I'd just like to clarify before I order. Do we take the E14 to a local post office, or do we have to mail in a cheque, or...? Thanks in advance for clearing it up for me.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2014
1154 posts
388 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
They deliver it to your door, you pay them with cash or a credit card. Or you can tell them you want to pick it up @ the post office and pay there.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Infinitez wrote: Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I just passed by this forum so I'm not really sure where everything is.

I want to get an item shipped over from another country, it'll be around CDN$140. I'm expecting handling fees, tax, and duty fees, but how exactly do we pay them? I've never had the need to pay these so I'd just like to clarify before I order. Do we take the E14 to a local post office, or do we have to mail in a cheque, or...? Thanks in advance for clearing it up for me.
When the package arrives you'll receive a notification, and will then pay at the point of pickup. Acceptable forms of payment will be listed on the notification.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Mar 5, 2013
497 posts
118 upvotes
Ottawa
If the Canadian Border Services Agency (aka customs) decides you need to pay taxes and fees when your package enters the country, it charges Canada Post to collect the fee, to which Canada will tack on an $9.95 handling fee. Canada Post will collect the total of those fees when they deliver the package. Most likely, CPC will leave a card in your mailbox to pick up the package at your nearest outlet. Not positive, but I think they write on the card that you owe money and what amount.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2008
1331 posts
1060 upvotes
Hamilton
You can pay the postman/postwoman by credit card.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2693 posts
240 upvotes
Markham
Cash or credit card. Credit card is preferred method of everybody as it's easier to use and Carriers don't carry money, so you get your change.
Be Happy
Dec 7, 2014
5 posts
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for all of your replies everyone, clears up my confusion. Much appreciated!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)