• Mar 21st, 2017 9:45 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6981 posts
400 upvotes

How do you Recover?

Some days when I hit the gym (I only do classes) I am sore head to toe, sometimes in my glutes, or just shoulders.

And then of course when you hit the next class you are struggling. Outside of stretching regularly and perhaps having the occassional protein drink after working out, what else can be done?
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7477 posts
2414 upvotes
Toronto
Ice bath.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
2757 posts
230 upvotes
Ottawa
Glutamine seems to have a lot of fans. I add some to my whey protein right after working out, and take some more before bed.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4360 posts
206 upvotes
You're less likely to get DOMS if you do similar things more often. If you change things up quite often (whether it's volume, intensity, frequency, or exercise), you'll be prone to DOMS.

Have you tried some LISS? Going for a light walk could help with the soreness. Some claim an Epsom salt bath works. Adequate food and rest will help recovery too.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1353 posts
88 upvotes
Mississauga
I am continually stretching the muscle group I am working. Before I start, between every set, After final cool down, I do 10 minutes on the treadmill. Then finishing up with more stretching. (Still no taller. Lol)
However, I have been working out since the year Dot. Change my routine often to shock the body.
Yes, for beginners it is hard. Whilst the body is warm you do not feel how hard or soft you are pushing. The following day you will need to stretch the muscle group you have been working.
Eliminate the Lactic acid. In time it gets easier but you do need to stick to a program without punishing yourself. Then it will get the body used to working it.
As the poster above me states, all good recommendations. As most of the posters here have said.
Not a good idea to work the same group the following day. Muscles need to recuperate. You have altered the state of the muscle group worked. Like any injury , rest. When I say injured you have worked a certain muscle and damaged it and it needs to repaired. Stretching is good, genteelly.
There is so much science in working out now. When I started with running I would continually run into Dinosaurs. Lol, of course.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4360 posts
206 upvotes
redpattison wrote:
Mar 4th, 2017 12:22 pm
I am continually stretching the muscle group I am working. Before I start, between every set, After final cool down, I do 10 minutes on the treadmill. Then finishing up with more stretching. (Still no taller. Lol)
However, I have been working out since the year Dot. Change my routine often to shock the body.
Yes, for beginners it is hard. Whilst the body is warm you do not feel how hard or soft you are pushing. The following day you will need to stretch the muscle group you have been working.
Eliminate the Lactic acid. In time it gets easier but you do need to stick to a program without punishing yourself. Then it will get the body used to working it.
As the poster above me states, all good recommendations. As most of the posters here have said.
Not a good idea to work the same group the following day. Muscles need to recuperate. You have altered the state of the muscle group worked. Like any injury , rest. When I say injured you have worked a certain muscle and damaged it and it needs to repaired. Stretching is good, genteelly.
There is so much science in working out now. When I started with running I would continually run into Dinosaurs. Lol, of course.
You don't need to change your routine often to 'shock the body'. It doesn't work that way and that can lead to more DOMS, which is what the Op doesn't want.

You can certainly work a muscle group two days in a row, if your program is set up to accommodate it :) Stretching between sets may not be recommended, depending on your training/goals.
Last edited by amz155 on Mar 4th, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6981 posts
400 upvotes
Thank you all for the suggestions. I will try them out.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10820 posts
1463 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Voltaren
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1353 posts
88 upvotes
Mississauga
OP. You could always get a Trainer. Not just anybody. Somebody that has knowledge about the Anatomy and Physiology of the Human body. With the appropriate qualifications. There are lots of Trainers, Gym rats that know everything, yet they are short on real knowledge. I have witnessed Trainers or the like that are completely useless.

Before you get too involved, speak to your Doctor. None of us here know if you have any medical conditions and what can and cannot hurt you.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4360 posts
206 upvotes
redpattison wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 10:10 am
OP. You could always get a Trainer. Not just anybody. Somebody that has knowledge about the Anatomy and Physiology of the Human body. With the appropriate qualifications. There are lots of Trainers, Gym rats that know everything, yet they are short on real knowledge. I have witnessed Trainers or the like that are completely useless.

Before you get too involved, speak to your Doctor. None of us here know if you have any medical conditions and what can and cannot hurt you.
The issue with this is that the average person probably isn't even familiar with accrediting bodies and which accreditations to ask for. You can still get 'certified' PTs that will mislead clients by telling them things like muscles need to be confused or that they should stretch muscles between sets.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6981 posts
400 upvotes
redpattison wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 10:10 am

You may be right but this is more for just feeling sore after working out. I've been going to the gym since Aug 2015 and have amped up my routine a bit. Oddly enough, the back of my thighs were sore for 4 days up until I did my yoga class and after that, bam it was gone.