Automotive

How do you save on gas? Any good points cards or credit cards?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2017 1:56 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9537 posts
3185 upvotes
` ANything you could do with gas price, loyaly cards etc pales in comparison to how you choose to drive. People have a fit about a few cents per litre, then volutntariy use 30+% with how they choose to drive. Gerneally not getting anywhere any faster then if they drove for fuel economy
If you aren't willing to take small losses, then you will take big losses. This is my guarantee. -
Mark Minervini
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
If you live near border, fill up at US. Easily save 20-30 cents a litre, even more if your car takes premium.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
Superstore

7c/L off (equivalent in pts)
+
3% return on PC MC WE (in pts)

can be used for anything at SS, and they generally have the cheapest prices, at least for groceries in my area, so always going there for something.

My local costco is pretty useless as they are generally never cheaper than 4c/L and my Cap1 mastercard only gives 2% back. Also, all other gas stations have the same identical price with superstore.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26012 posts
211310 upvotes
GTA
If you have an RBC credit card, you can save 2c/L at Petro stations.
Mar 8, 2017
74 posts
9 upvotes
Yesterday checked Costco- it was 10 cents cheaper that on other gas stations + costco master card gives 2% back
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26012 posts
211310 upvotes
GTA
Focus wrote: Drive at speed limit will give you the best saving especially on hwy, also turn off you AC. Other things like CC rebate, AM cash miles, gas saving card....etc. Also don't drive it like an on/off switch, if you see a red infront roll it there.

If you're a car guy then 0w oil, UDP, catback, lower suspension also help.

Oh, learn to drive a stick.
In the age of 8 and 9-speed and CVT transmissions, manuals don't really compete in the fuel economy department anymore.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2004
1782 posts
740 upvotes
Richmond Hill
toguy wrote: In the age of 8 and 9-speed and CVT transmissions, manuals don't really compete in the fuel economy department anymore.
There isn't a lot of manual car left to offer but I did a quick look anyway at Honda, ford, audi, VW, Hyundai and mazda. the different between manual and auto/CVT are usually +1mpg adv to auto/CVT - a few +2, one +3, one - and one -2, so last call it +1. Most skilled manual driver can beat estimate by 10-15%, I can beat estimate by up to 20% in the summer. My car rated at 20mpg combine and I am usually at 24ish mpg during summer and I drive reasonable speed like under 70km on 60limit and under 120km on hwy.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1293 posts
952 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
We're to assume that those using a cc for gas savings are paying off their balance diligently each month.

I never understand how some drivers incl taxi drivers, who you think would know better, race along a road to an intersection where it's clearly visible the light is red or about to turn red because the Pedestrian crossing light has been flashing "dont walk" umpteen times from a block away.. Sure you don't want to annoyingly slow to catch the green if you have plenty of traffic around you but I'm talking on streets that have light to little traffic. A lot of intersections without countdown timer ped crossing lights, use the same number of flashes before the light turns yellow then red.. Here it's 13 flashes so if you're watching the lights of an upcoming intersection gives you a good idea if you're gonna make it through or should you just coast.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2010
2564 posts
992 upvotes
Buy CT gift cards when 10% off. With a 4% credit card, ideally.

Use the tellcdntiregas coupon for 2c/l off.

Use gift card, and get CT eMoney as well.

Works out to ~17% discount all in all.
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
614 posts
239 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Buy an EV or just don't stomp on the gas

Get gas from Costco