Careers

How do you stay positive when interviewing?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2019 3:16 pm
Mar 4, 2010
452 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
Hi op, it can be really tough. from the hiring companies perspective they are hiring one person for one role. For you, you are going to many interviews so it becomes very personal to you. I try to relate my payroll accountant this way:
when he gets a call from multiple staff in the same day, he gets frustrated and says 'why cant they figure this out', but to each of them, its individual issues so they dont see it as a grind on the payroll person.
It can be a grind and the goal post can move back, side to side, and forwards at any given moment. you may apply to 10 jobs that are the same, get all 10 interviews and not get a single job offer. Once again, this is not based on YOU but each company have slightly technical differences.
I'll use another example: the company i work for submits proposals to ongoing contracts from a municipality. The first one, they made it past the technical requirements, but turned down on the financials. Second time we didnt even pass technicals. Third time again we made it past technicals but lost out in the end. All of them had the same RFP and each time there was a different management team on the client side making the decisions.

Keep at it because when you do find that job and land that offer, it'll all be worth it.

Btw, million dollar question to ask during an interview:
"is there anything on my resume or during our discussion that would cast doubt on why i wouldn't be the top candidate for this role?" Boom, headshot right there.
May 22, 2013
151 posts
46 upvotes
Vancouver
i also had a rough day..
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1520 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
I know this is going to sound weird but for me, the less I want the job the more I usually get an offer. I'm often "head hunted" on LinkedIn and I interview for jobs I don't particularly want and so when I go into the interviews I'm straight up and real with them. I think if you act like you don't want it without being cocky it makes them want you that much more.

In one of my most recent interviews one of the hiring managers asked me a question which I think was to determine whether or not I'd fit in their organization and I straight up told him that based on the type of style he was looking for that I probably wasn't going to be a good fit and that I didn't want to sit there and spoon feed them an answer just to get the job. A day later they extended the offer to me but I declined it because I wasnt joking when I said it probably wouldn't be a good fit.

Confidence and being true to yourself are qualities that are attractive to employers. Try going in and just being totally natural.
Jul 1, 2017
232 posts
129 upvotes
mikolyyyy wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 10:55 am
With every rejection I get, it is really mentally draining. I did really well on some interviews, got to 2nd stage with reference calls and still not get the offer. I can generally tell if an interview went well and its discouraging to still fail even when I did well.

My references are dependable as I gotten job offers with them in past so thats not the issue.

I feel like im auditioning for a movie with some of these interviews, its ridiculous :(
You need to position the interview as a sales pitch for (1) what value you bring to the organization, (2) why you are better than everyone else, and (3) back everything up with story-telling.

I've interviewed a lot of people and gone through many interviews myself. Sometimes, failure can be as simple as the color of shirt you wore, or more intrinsic with your tone, how vague you responded to a question (even if all others were in significant detail).

What I've learned is to absorb every question and use the time to answer the question as an opportunity to tell a story of why you are great; in fact, the best candidate. People say STAR approach is mandatory; I disagree. I follow a 'from the heart' explanation, which allows for meaningful dialogue, sometimes debate, most of the time 'consulting', and I'll even try to use tools available to communicate myself: whiteboards, pen/paper illustration, hand-imagery, etc. While I'm talking about interviews for senior leadership, I think this approach would do wonders for anyone, interviewing for any position.

It all comes down to admitting your mistakes and learning from them. Every interview is an opportunity to get better at interviewing. This holds so much weight because when you start interviewing for +$100k roles, you won't make the cut if you don't interview as someone worth that range. It also holds weight on the other side of that paradigm; you will never feel confident when asking for +$100k if you can't interview like someone worth that range.

I'm currently in a horrible state of mind; but, when I'm able to talk to people about what I do and why I'm the best in my profession at it (that's how you need to convey yourself), the discouragement and/or disdain/defeat in your approach before the interview (which will destabilize the entire interview) disappears.

Also, nobody ever walks into an interview and aces it without practice. This doesn't mean use a script; rather, practice your pitch of why you are the best candidate in a mirror. This means, practice articulating your skill-set, your accomplishments, your failures, and your learning opportunities.

Feel free to PM me; I mentor a lot of people on interviewing and resume building.
Last edited by HelloWorld3 on Feb 9th, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1328 posts
169 upvotes
Markham, ON
gqbluez wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 3:42 pm
I know this is going to sound weird but for me, the less I want the job the more I usually get an offer. I'm often "head hunted" on LinkedIn and I interview for jobs I don't particularly want and so when I go into the interviews I'm straight up and real with them. I think if you act like you don't want it without being cocky it makes them want you that much more.

In one of my most recent interviews one of the hiring managers asked me a question which I think was to determine whether or not I'd fit in their organization and I straight up told him that based on the type of style he was looking for that I probably wasn't going to be a good fit and that I didn't want to sit there and spoon feed them an answer just to get the job. A day later they extended the offer to me but I declined it because I wasnt joking when I said it probably wouldn't be a good fit.

Confidence and being true to yourself are qualities that are attractive to employers. Try going in and just being totally natural.
I don't like head hunters and I definitely question the quality of their candidates.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2686 posts
500 upvotes
Poppwl wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 3:54 am
I don't like head hunters and I definitely question the quality of their candidates.
<---- Headhunter and my quality is fine.

I am one for a company though, a lot of organizations are going towards "active sourcing" as primary strategy versus "post and pray".