Fashion & Beauty

How do you survive in a suit in this weather?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2018 12:35 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 6, 2014
541 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto

How do you survive in a suit in this weather?

I'm one of those poor souls who have to show up to work everyday in full suit and tie. I have a few wool and cashmere overcoats which are good enough for any weather above -10c.

However, this week has been well below 20c and overcoats just can't handle that type of weather. I can't wear my PJS/CG bomber with my suit (looks kinda stupid), but I don't think anything else will be able to keep me warm in this temperature.

Any suggestions of heavy coats that would keep me warm and fashionable when wear a suit?
34 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
8606 posts
3683 upvotes
I've seen people wear a thin bubble layer under an overcoat. doesn't look to bad.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1770 posts
455 upvotes
North York
No one's gonna judge you for wearing CG with a suit though a parka would've been a better choice.
Mar 9, 2014
812 posts
380 upvotes
Ottawa
I feel your pain. I started a thread because a bomber looked weird over a suit and invested in a parka. Although I'm sure no one would care I didn't want the bottom of the blazer to get any salt or extra creases on it because the jacket was too short.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/winter-j ... t-2140811/

For really cold days if I have to be outside for an extended time I layer on a sweater /cardigan under the suit jacket. Also never leave home without a scarf, toque and gloves.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
1498 posts
464 upvotes
Montreal, QC
that's when a parka comes in handy. leave your suit jacket at work. much easier if you only wear 2 colors, navy and grey/charcoal
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9586 posts
1268 upvotes
Wear a super warm jacket on top or wear a base layer underneath your dress clothes. Keeps you from sweating and regulates your temperature inside and outside office.

I've been wearing merino wool this entire week and has NEVER felt cold or hot in the office. Almost always perfect temperature.
Aug 30, 2017
217 posts
153 upvotes
GTA East - Durham
The footwear options are the weakest link.
Either destroy your shoes, dry clean your pants weekly and freeze or use rubbers, dry clean and freeze.
I threw in the towel and wear my Sorels and leave my shoes at work. Feet don't freeze and saves the pants.

I found even thin base layer bottoms too hot at work. So I bought some of those Costco thin base layer and had them cut and hemmed just above the knee - perfect solution for me.

I wear wool blend dress socks year round and in winter when it's really cold wear the above the calf length and when combined with the base layers leave only my knee caps exposed.

A pocket size beanie in fleece or merino is just the ticket.

One area I am still working on are the dress gloves.
I think I will go to black leather with a separate wool insert.

My wool over coat is three quarter length and with a nice scarf is good enough for upper body warmth.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9586 posts
1268 upvotes
Oh and perhaps wear wool dress pants?

Oddly enough dress pants I wear are way warmer than say jeans. On casual Fridays I rather wear dress pants than jeans lol.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4856 posts
796 upvotes
Just leave the jacket and dress shoes at work.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22884 posts
2701 upvotes
Montreal
Put your suit jacket in a bag. Wear a proper parka, and take it off at work and put on the jacket.
Jun 3, 2012
569 posts
218 upvotes
Scarborough
A good quality 100% wool overcoat should help you brave the cold. I got one a few years ago and surprisingly found it far superior in terms of keeping me warm in the extreme cold than my parka. I live in Ottawa where unfortunately -20 is normal. New 100% cashmere/wool coats are very expensive ($500+) but they are a staple if you wear suits and will last a lifetime. You can also try finding used ones on ebay that tend to run for under $200. A tailor will charge around $50 to adjust it.
Apr 26, 2010
696 posts
71 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Ditch the bomber and go for a parka, I went this route
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2007
2256 posts
93 upvotes
wear 2 layer of pants of course. A thermo underneath and dress pant on the outside
Jan 16, 2009
125 posts
34 upvotes
Also get some of those heat-tech undershirt/pants from Uniqlo. They aren't that cheap at around $20 each (regular price, but occasionally goes on sale), but given that I basically wear them everyday during the winter, it is easily a small price to pay for how much I get out of them.

They have some sort of "technology" that makes them better than cheaper ones (heat regulating, etc...). I had thermal underpants before but they weren't really comfortable and made my pants rise slightly. No issues at all with the Uniqlo ones.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11390 posts
6202 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Go Gung-Ho! Just the suit and nothing else, no jacket.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!