Off Topic Archive

Locked: How do you take digital photos at night?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2007 8:02 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
8025 posts
248 upvotes

How do you take digital photos at night?

Got the camera SD 630, and I'm struggling to take pics at night. Or I guess, minimal lighting? They always have the "shaking" icon and it always turns out blurry. How do i do it? I put a high ISO (800). Thats all I can do. If i use flash, it darkens the pic so much. I take off flash, and its blurry. Any tips for a newb photographer? Shutter speed??
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Share:
26 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2006
2880 posts
Tripod is a must.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
8025 posts
248 upvotes
atforum wrote:
Jun 1st, 2007 2:38 am
Tripod is a must.
Forgot to add, I used a tripod for the night shots.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2004
5811 posts
30 upvotes
Try putting it on a timer or use a remote instead of pressing the button... it might be the actual pressing of the button that's blurring the shot if the camera chose a long exposure.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3321 posts
31 upvotes
Richmond
aquariaguy wrote:
Jun 1st, 2007 2:47 am
Forgot to add, I used a tripod for the night shots.
In that case the photos shouldn't be blurry at all, unless the tripod is the cheap-type that moves when you press the shutter. Use the self-timer to minimize the vibration from pressing the shutter.

Aside from that, try using a really long shutter speed (unless you're taking pics of people obviously)... you get really beautiful results with lots of range.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4385 posts
82 upvotes
Use the manual mode and set the shutter to open for longer and use the self timer instead of pressing the button and mount it on a tripod. Use the built in light meter to help with exposure.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3786 posts
719 upvotes
Vancouver
isn't there any digicam that takes care of this automatically without need for tripod?
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4385 posts
82 upvotes
importpsycho wrote:
Jun 1st, 2007 3:34 am
isn't there any digicam that takes care of this automatically without need for tripod?
The short answer is no. If your hands shake and your shutter speed is too slow (which it should be in low light settings) you'll get camera shake and blurry pictures.

The long answer is yes, there are such technologies in some cameras but it is not perfect and I don't think it works very well.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
3486 posts
162 upvotes
Pickering, ON
importpsycho wrote:
Jun 1st, 2007 3:34 am
Image stabilization?
But even that won't be perfect.

Tripod/put the camera on something and using the 2 sec timer are pretty much the only good solutions.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
1979 posts
7 upvotes
Kingston
i've always had this same problem.....i assumed my camera didn't do it automatically for some reason-heh....i guess none of them do :)

I'm surprised there isn't one that does-for newbs like me. All I want is a clear picture of my christmas lights one year without having to by a tripod! lol
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1282 posts
1 upvote
Montreal, QC
+1 for tripod plus timer and flash OFF
May 28, 2007
129 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
dolphie wrote:
Jun 1st, 2007 6:31 am
i've always had this same problem.....i assumed my camera didn't do it automatically for some reason-heh....i guess none of them do :)

I'm surprised there isn't one that does-for newbs like me. All I want is a clear picture of my christmas lights one year without having to by a tripod! lol
Just find some sort of table to set your camera on, use the timer mode, and take the picture. If the framing is inappropriate, you can always crop the picture. Also, if you put it on a table or tripod, then you should be free to put the ISO back to 100 (it'll just take longer to expose the pic, but at least it won't be grainy like 800). If you get a crisp picture after that, and it is too dark or too bright [bright lights, like xmas trees, can fool the camera's meter], then apply exposure compensation (+ for dark, - for bright)... your camera should have this... and then the picture will turn out perfectly.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
3682 posts
267 upvotes
Take the dark picture and fix it up afterwards. Even with normal windows picture viewer you can do a fair bit, if you've got photoshop you can make any picture the best picture you've ever taken.

You can't fix a blurry picture, but once you start playing around with it, a dark picture is relatively easy to bring everything out.
Everything in moderation... including moderation :twisted:
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
22815 posts
912 upvotes
Markham, ON
Bazooka Joe wrote:
Jun 1st, 2007 7:41 am
Take the dark picture and fix it up afterwards. Even with normal windows picture viewer you can do a fair bit, if you've got photoshop you can make any picture the best picture you've ever taken.

You can't fix a blurry picture, but once you start playing around with it, a dark picture is relatively easy to bring everything out.
...noise...
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2006
3812 posts
47 upvotes
Paging Korruption to settle this once and for all.
You're not funny.
× < >