Cell Phones

How do you use NFC?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2019 12:39 am
Tags:

Poll: Do you use NFC?

• Total votes: 58. You have voted on this poll.
Yes, my phone has it and it is useful

55%
No, my phone has it but it is not useful

26%
No, I wish my phone had it

2%
No, I don't care about it

17%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2269 posts
750 upvotes
North York

How do you use NFC?

Is NFC an important phone feature to you? How often do you use it and what for?

Have you been able to use NFC for payment through your phone? Has it resulted in much savings through early adopter promos?

I am considering buying a new phone without NFC because I still want a headphone jack. With TTC talking about allowing payment through NFC now, I'm getting the sense that NFC might be increasingly useful to me.

What are your thoughts: Is NFC just a novelty feature or does it provide you a lot of convenience and even save you money?
48 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1472 posts
631 upvotes
Calgary
I pay quite often with Samsung Pay - especially when they do their promos. Outside of that, not really. Also, fun fact - you can use Samsung Pay without turning NFC on - it'll automatically do so when needed. Not sure with Google Pay though.

I know some people have NFC tags set up that will do different things (like set a sound profile when tapping an NFC tag by the front door) but I'm not one of them. Bixby routines on my S10 handles that.
Aug 29, 2017
437 posts
1285 upvotes
I use it regularly now, but I toggle it on/off every time I want to use it. This way it should really only work when I want it to work.
“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do."― John Ruskin
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17700 posts
1769 upvotes
Woodbridge
Apple and Samsung pay.

I love it. Isn't paying with your phone secure enough that they should at least increase the maximum to $200?

I can understand tapping your debit or credit. It should be maxed out at $100.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3927 posts
1100 upvotes
GTA
Samsung Pay and Google Pay are the only things I ever use NFC for. I do use it on a daily basis though. If I took public transportation more often and Presto incorporates phone NFC use instead of the card, I'd use it for that too.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3927 posts
1100 upvotes
GTA
bembol wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 11:09 am
Apple and Samsung pay.

I love it. Isn't paying with your phone secure enough that they should at least increase the maximum to $200?

I can understand tapping your debit or credit. It should be maxed out at $100.
Technically, paying with your phone shouldn't have any limit because you're authenticating the transaction when you unlock the phone. IIRC, the issue is that our POS terminals don't support CDCVM

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202527
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17700 posts
1769 upvotes
Woodbridge
Dave98 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 11:23 am
Technically, paying with your phone shouldn't have any limit because you're authenticating the transaction when you unlock the phone. IIRC, the issue is that our POS terminals don't support CDCVM

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202527
I thought it was just our banks set these limits.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25188 posts
10615 upvotes
Devhux wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 9:45 am
I know some people have NFC tags set up that will do different things (like set a sound profile when tapping an NFC tag by the front door) but I'm not one of them.
I use this type of thing more than I use things like mobile payments. I was debating on using my device for access controls, but NFC support hasn't quite taken off for all devices. My current tablet doesn't have it so I'm back to RFID cards or fobs.

Personally I don't understand why mobile payments is a thing.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1774 posts
1340 upvotes
Bay Area
I never use NFC because Samsung Pay's MST is way superior. ;)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6199 posts
2559 upvotes
Alberta
hvwozq wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 4:33 pm
That's the biggest reason I'd get a Samsung phone, but Android sucks.
That's why we went to Samsung phones. IPhone and iOS sucks way more. You Apple fanboys can have them.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1434 posts
621 upvotes
Haven't need to use NFC yet, but if anything like in the future where I can pay presto fare via phone why not.

I haven't really caught on the whole mobile payment thing, since I only carry a small card holder type wallet.
Plus all my store cards & what not are on my phone already.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1472 posts
631 upvotes
Calgary
arkane wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 4:25 pm
I never use NFC because Samsung Pay's MST is way superior. ;)
I just wish MST worked with debit cards - at least with my CIBC cards I can only do that with the Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1774 posts
1340 upvotes
Bay Area
hvwozq wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 4:33 pm
That's the biggest reason I'd get a Samsung phone, but Android sucks.
Yeah unfortunately not everybody is tech savvy enough to make full use of Android.