Cell Phones

How do you use NFC?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 25th, 2019 12:39 am
Tags:

Poll: Do you use NFC?

• Total votes: 57. You have voted on this poll.
Yes, my phone has it and it is useful

54%
No, my phone has it but it is not useful

26%
No, I wish my phone had it

2%
No, I don't care about it

18%
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5034 posts
2491 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 4:56 pm
That's why we went to Samsung phones. IPhone and iOS sucks way more. You Apple fanboys can have them.
arkane wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 5:52 pm
Yeah unfortunately not everybody is tech savvy enough to make full use of Android.
:rofl: You don't know me. I used to be a childish Android fanboy too, calling iPhone users sheep. I used the Galaxy Note series before it was cool to have big phones. Even bricked a few phones with some untested new things on XDA.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30326 posts
4928 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 4:22 pm
Personally I don't understand why mobile payments is a thing.
I don’t understand it either. I can whip out my credit card just as quick as my cell phone. A tap is easier on my credit card.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1278 posts
873 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
One word: tokenization.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3695 posts
895 upvotes
GTA
arkane wrote:
Mar 17th, 2019 4:25 pm
I never use NFC because Samsung Pay's MST is way superior. ;)
Just clarifying. You mean you do use NFC, you just think Samsung Pay is better since it uses both NFC and MST.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15914 posts
6036 upvotes
Oakville
Never use NFC. I'm fine paying with my credit card or debit card because 99.9% of the time I have my wallet on me. RBC doesn't support Android Pay on my Pixel, gotta use the RBC Wallet app, and I've never been able to get my credit card linked to it properly. I like the idea of using NFC tags for automation and stuff, but never got around to setting it up.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1147 posts
421 upvotes
Calgary
Gee wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 2:48 am
I don’t understand it either. I can whip out my credit card just as quick as my cell phone. A tap is easier on my credit card.
If someone grabbed your wallet before you realized they could start tapping your card. Sure, you'd likely be reimbursed but it would be an inconvenience. In order to pay via your phone, you typically have to use biometrics (fingerprint, for instance) to authorize. Someone grabbing your phone wouldn't matter as they wouldn't be able to authenticate.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30326 posts
4928 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Devhux wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 2:49 am
If someone grabbed your wallet before you realized they could start tapping your card. Sure, you'd likely be reimbursed but it would be an inconvenience. In order to pay via your phone, you typically have to use biometrics (fingerprint, for instance) to authorize. Someone grabbing your phone wouldn't matter as they wouldn't be able to authenticate.
That's a valid point. But I prefer not to have my credit info stored on a device
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1147 posts
421 upvotes
Calgary
Gee wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 9:55 am
That's a valid point. But I prefer not to have my credit info stored on a device
Technically it isn't. I actually walked through this with someone else who was quite skeptical of it as well. Once you add the card and go through the authorization process with your bank (either a text message or a phone call), a unique "virtual" card number is set up. That's what is stored on the phone.

Also, at least with modern Androids, data is encrypted so unless someone could log into the phone using your pattern or PIN, they wouldn't be getting the data off it.

That said, it's all personal preference - I'm just pointing out that quite a lot of people don't actually understand how the technology works.
Dec 18, 2017
362 posts
672 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I'd happily use Apple Pay and leave my cards at home. All my bank cards have apple pay, but the low tap limits make me nervous about being stranded without access to my cash when in need.

If these limits are increased (I don't think we have anything more secure than Apple/Samsung Pay as a payment method on the planet), and ABMs can grant you access via Apple Pay authentication (Yes, I read the news about RBC ABMs), I might ditch the wallet completely.

I already carry my Drivers Licence in a card pouch that is physically attached to the back of my phone. Ideally, if ID's can be added as express cards or something, that would be baller!

Other than that, I know there's some NFC play between the current gen Apple TVs, HomeKit products, the Watch etc., and how they're paired and exchange information, but it's all device-to-device and there's no features that support user interaction.
AT&T Group buy: 16GB/unlimited calls, texts anywhere in Canada, US and Mexico for USD24/month. -- 5 spots available.
Spotify Premium Group buy: CAD30/year for premium access. -- 1 spot available.

❗PM me to sign up.
Jan 29, 2013
744 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
Devhux wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 11:18 am
Technically it isn't. I actually walked through this with someone else who was quite skeptical of it as well. Once you add the card and go through the authorization process with your bank (either a text message or a phone call), a unique "virtual" card number is set up. That's what is stored on the phone.

Also, at least with modern Androids, data is encrypted so unless someone could log into the phone using your pattern or PIN, they wouldn't be getting the data off it.

That said, it's all personal preference - I'm just pointing out that quite a lot of people don't actually understand how the technology works.
You're also much less likely to be the victim of credit card skimming or duplication with mobile payments than you are with a physical card. Once again, due to the additional layer of authentication required whenever mobile payments are used.
Jan 29, 2013
744 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
vancityguy0 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 1:13 pm
I'd happily use Apple Pay and leave my cards at home. All my bank cards have apple pay, but the low tap limits make me nervous about being stranded without access to my cash when in need.

If these limits are increased (I don't think we have anything more secure than Apple/Samsung Pay as a payment method on the planet), and ABMs can grant you access via Apple Pay authentication (Yes, I read the news about RBC ABMs), I might ditch the wallet completely.
The limits point is interesting. That is obviously not something that is specific to mobile payments specifically, but rather tap payments in general. For example, I had absolutely no issues using mobile payment to purchase a phone (in my case, using Apple Pay via the apple store app), which is obviously way beyond the normal "tap limit".
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5034 posts
2491 upvotes
Devhux wrote:

That's BS. I used Apple Pay with Lyft, and yet Lyft still got the last 4 digits of my real card number.
Dec 18, 2017
362 posts
672 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Ok wow. That is news to me. I was not aware that you could do that. I guess I never tried to make a large purchase using my phone because I had somehow convinced myself of these 'restrictive' limits.

I'm going to try this from now on and still carry my cards around for backup.
AT&T Group buy: 16GB/unlimited calls, texts anywhere in Canada, US and Mexico for USD24/month. -- 5 spots available.
Spotify Premium Group buy: CAD30/year for premium access. -- 1 spot available.

❗PM me to sign up.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30326 posts
4928 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Devhux wrote:

I didn't know that.

Technically, a sub account is created on the phone with its own account number. It has its own limits.
hvwozq wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 1:37 pm
That's BS. I used Apple Pay with Lyft, and yet Lyft still got the last 4 digits of my real card number.
Now I am totally confused.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5034 posts
2491 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 3:49 pm
Now I am totally confused.
They might even have the full real card number, but the app and their email to me only show the last 4 digits. Some people might think that I am an amateur and I gave my card number to Lyft, but no, Lyft got it from Apple Pay.