Automotive

How does the Acura TSX traction & stability control compare to that of BMW 3 Series?

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2006 8:59 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
32615 posts
5530 upvotes

How does the Acura TSX traction & stability control compare to that of BMW 3 Series?

Hi,

How does the Honda Accord V6 or Acura TSX's traction and stability control compare to that of a BMW 3 Series and is there a marked difference?

I read an article in National Post a couple of months back (winter season I believe) and they tested a BMW 3 in one of the Nordic countries where BMW has a test site. With the traction and stability set on, and I believe with no winter tires, they couldn't even let the car spin around. That is really impressive.

Which other car models have excellent traction and stability systems on icy and slippery road conditions?

It was mentioned in the news just a day or two ago that in the US, traction and stability control may become a de facto standard a few years down around. That's actual when I am getting a 2nd car and any insight on the pros and cons of various stability control systems is appreciated.

Thanks.
New Dell PowerEdge T20 Mini Tower Server Pentium G3220 4GB 4Bay Win10Pro $250
new-dell-poweredge-t20-mini-tower-serve ... #p26754499
25 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 18, 2004
2769 posts
52 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote:Hi,

How does the Honda Accord V6 or Acura TSX's traction and stability control compare to that of a BMW 3 Series and is there a marked difference?

I read an article a couple of months back (winter I believe) and they tested a BMW 3 in one of the Nordic countries where BMW has a test site. With the traction and stability set on, and I believe with no winter tires, they couldn't even let the car spin around.

Which other car models have excellent traction and stability systems on icy and slippery road conditions?

It was mentioned in the news that in the US, traction and stability control may become a standard a few years down around and that's actual when I am getting a 2nd car.

Thanks.
Honda & Toyota all have test sites where BMW, Jaguar, GM have theirs. I forgot the name of the contry / town. But the whole town's economy is driven by these test facilities.

I believe they are more or less the same, but keep in mind that you shouldn't drive a BMW w/o winter tires, and it really needs traction and stability control for winter driving since it's rear wheel drive.

Rear wheel drive actually do not perform as well as front wheel drive in winter conditions. So, I think the TSX will actually perform better.

But if it's winter driving you are looking for, then you should get an AWD car.
Member
User avatar
Nov 27, 2003
245 posts
3 upvotes
London
I have a TSX and I had no problems in the winter (London in the snow belt). 1st year with the stock tires (Michelins really don't like the winter) and 2nd year with winter Hankooks on 16" steel rims. Much, much, much (did I say much?) better.

I have a friend with a Mazda 6 and I got to work on a particularly bad day and he couldn't. I don't know anyone with a BMW (well besides a guy with a K1200) so I can't comment on that.

I found the traction control on the TSX certainly helped me accelerate faster than a lot of other cars. My car has the 6spd manual too, so I can control the power delivery a little better than the auto.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
3296 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
front wheel drive cars perform better than rear wheel drives in winter because in rear wheel drive cars, the wheels are free to do whatever they want in the front, therefore, the TSX should do better
Ask me anything about Auto, Home, Business, Commercial or Life Insurance. Or anything about annuities/segregated funds! :D
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 25, 2003
8806 posts
112 upvotes
Sprite_TM wrote:front wheel drive cars perform better than rear wheel drives in winter because in rear wheel drive cars, the wheels are free to do whatever they want in the front, therefore, the TSX should do better
Don't you mean, FWD cars perform better, because more of the weight bias in front engine mounted cars, have it on more of the front wheels, than the rear? I don't understand what you're trying to say when you say that "the wheels are free to do whatever they want in the front" Stability control causes the front wheels, or even rear wheels to BRAKE whenever the system senses something that may cause the car to do a 360.

Some, if not most RWD drivers throw sand bags in their trunk, during the winter season..
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 26, 2004
27000 posts
4210 upvotes
Traction and stability control is pretty much standard fair on almost all entry-level luxury cars, but the they can only do so much in trying to get the driver out of hairy situations. Car control eventually comes down to driver skill, experience and judgement.

That said, any AWD Subaru would make a good winter car.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 18, 2004
2769 posts
52 upvotes
B0000rt wrote:Don't you mean, FWD cars perform better, because more of the weight bias in front engine mounted cars, have it on more of the front wheels, than the rear? I don't understand what you're trying to say when you say that "the wheels are free to do whatever they want in the front" Stability control causes the front wheels, or even rear wheels to BRAKE whenever the system senses something that may cause the car to do a 360.

Some, if not most RWD drivers throw sand bags in their trunk, during the winter season..

I think he meant, RWD give the car more control. RWD cars are known for good handling, but being so "free" makes it hard to drive in the winter?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
3296 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
i said front wheel drive have better control in the "winter" , keyword "winter"

Rear wheel drive is where the wheels at the back are doing the work while front wheel drive is where the wheels in the front are doing the work. u see, when the wheels are doing the work in the back, the front wheels are free to do what they do best, turn, corner which is why it gives better handling. don't u understand that is the reason why RWD cars "drift"?

front wheel drive cars have better control in the winter because the front wheels are doing the work, it doesnt slip as easily. if u ever have driven at rear wheel drive BMW in the winter, u'll understand what i mean, and even though it has DSC, the car can still "slip" in the winter at times because of its rear wheel drive setup.


B0000rt wrote:Don't you mean, FWD cars perform better, because more of the weight bias in front engine mounted cars, have it on more of the front wheels, than the rear? I don't understand what you're trying to say when you say that "the wheels are free to do whatever they want in the front" Stability control causes the front wheels, or even rear wheels to BRAKE whenever the system senses something that may cause the car to do a 360.

Some, if not most RWD drivers throw sand bags in their trunk, during the winter season..
Ask me anything about Auto, Home, Business, Commercial or Life Insurance. Or anything about annuities/segregated funds! :D
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
22 upvotes
It's true. BMW owner here and it feels like your ass is wiggling uncontrollably without snow tires. Sand bags won't help anything when the rear wheels can't grip the pavement properly. It's not hard to spin out making a right turn without snows on...I've been caught out by putting them on too late and it snowed. TC isn't a sham but it's no replacement for cheaping out and not buying snows.
In Every Heart Red Strength, Our Hearts Are Many, Our Strength Your Envy
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
3296 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
guys, if u ever driven a rear wheel drive car before, u'll understand that the car at times, "slips" during the winter even with DSC.

rear wheel drive cars don't have much "grip" on the road as front wheel drive cars during the winter because rear wheel drive cars don't have as much control because the wheels at the back are "pushing" the car forward
chickenbones wrote:I think he meant, RWD give the car more control. RWD cars are known for good handling, but being so "free" makes it hard to drive in the winter?
Ask me anything about Auto, Home, Business, Commercial or Life Insurance. Or anything about annuities/segregated funds! :D
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
3296 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
yah , the bimmer wobbles around even with DSC and these guys are telling me rear wheel drive cars have better control during the winter. its because the wheels are free to do whatever they like in the front and the wheels at the back are pushing it forward!!!!
Anessa wrote:It's true. BMW owner here and it feels like your ass is wiggling uncontrollably without snow tires. Sand bags won't help anything when the rear wheels can't grip the pavement properly. It's not hard to spin out making a right turn without snows on...I've been caught out by putting them on too late and it snowed.
Ask me anything about Auto, Home, Business, Commercial or Life Insurance. Or anything about annuities/segregated funds! :D
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 18, 2004
2769 posts
52 upvotes
Sprite_TM wrote:yah , the bimmer wobbles around even with DSC and these guys are telling me rear wheel drive cars have better control during the winter. its because the wheels are free to do whatever they like in the front and the wheels at the back are pushing it forward!!!!
No one said RWD drives better in winter. If you read my post, I was just explaining what you meant by "free".

I was just thinking you meant RWD cars are good for handling ("free"), but because they are "so good" with handling, they are more likely to lose control when there's little grip.
chickenbones wrote:Rear wheel drive actually do not perform as well as front wheel drive in winter conditions. So, I think the TSX will actually perform better.

B0000rt wrote:Don't you mean, FWD cars perform better, because more of the weight bias in front engine mounted cars, have it on more of the front wheels, than the rear?


I think everyone was agreeing FWD perform better.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2005
3288 posts
123 upvotes
Thornhill
Just put on very good winter tires regardless of which car, rwd or fwd, cuz they make such a big difference compared to all seasons.

If you start to put more weight into the car (someone stated putting sandbags in the trunk) you begin to loose fuel economy and as everyone knows in the winter its already pretty ****** as it is.

You gotta learn how to handle your car in each weather and usually with practice it comes, rwd cars in the winter can't be gunned and expect the car to go straight where fwd may slip but eventually go straight.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 31, 2005
9916 posts
22 upvotes
RWD can be fun in winter if you have snow tires and common sense :) . Don't be thinking that you're the next Takumi because you'll just be another victim.
In Every Heart Red Strength, Our Hearts Are Many, Our Strength Your Envy
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 3, 2002
706 posts
122 upvotes
Edmonton
hah. .what a load of crap

FWD is better for accelerating from a standstill, other than that, it's not nearly as good as RWD in terms of handling.

Braking, Acceleration, Steering are all done on the front tires. Very easy to lose control. You can easily do weight transfer to take load off the front tires so that you can turn. Cannot do it as easily in FWD.

If you know how to properly handle the car, RWD is much better than FWD.

Sprite_TM makes no sense. all he says is free wheels and spinning, but gives no real explanation of what he's talking about. seems to me like he's spitting out what he was told.
× < >

Top