Parenting & Family

How does it feel now that they're not home...

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2007 8:43 am
Tags:
None
Dec 25, 2002
640 posts
204 upvotes
PCDawg wrote:
Sep 9th, 2007 7:07 am
Just consider it as full-time day care where both parents are away at work during the days.

Kids will interact and learn more from each other better that way.

My only one starts JK next week. Fulldays 2 days a week and alt fridays.
lol. I actually do consider it full time daycare - which is not an option for our family. We decided a long time ago that I would stay at home so that our children would not be placed in daycare. I would like to think my children can learn more from me than what they can learn from other 4 and 5 year olds.

Kelly
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2005
1191 posts
22 upvotes
In Alberta is depends on the area and district, most are still only 1/2 days for kinder. I know that there is only a handful of Calgary schools that offer full-day kinder and those schools are usually in lower-income areas where the kids typically need the enrichment.

We homeschool and we are starting this week. Looking forward to getting back into a routine.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1564 upvotes
They started offering it here the last couple of years. My last 2 have been in it and they don't seem any worse for wear. I finds it lets them interact with kids more than they would if they stayed at home. If one of us were home full time I think they still would in it full time, just so they get used to other kids, learn to play and share more,etc. Plus make friends. I still have friends to this day I made in kindergarten 30 years later
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10820 posts
1279 upvotes
Brampton
My 6 year old is full time in school now but my twins still need 1 more year before they start JK > :( :D

So 3 more years before they are all in school full day :lol: Can't wait :cheesygri
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
725 upvotes
Spidey wrote:
Sep 11th, 2007 4:59 pm
They started offering it here the last couple of years. My last 2 have been in it and they don't seem any worse for wear. I finds it lets them interact with kids more than they would if they stayed at home. If one of us were home full time I think they still would in it full time, just so they get used to other kids, learn to play and share more,etc. Plus make friends. I still have friends to this day I made in kindergarten 30 years later
That's the key....whether kindergarten, Day Care, Montessori ...these young years are there for socialization. And there is a tremendous difference between kids in and out of social environments....we've noticed it at the last two neighborhood birthday parties.
Dec 25, 2002
640 posts
204 upvotes
shoppingmama wrote:
Sep 10th, 2007 1:54 am
In Alberta is depends on the area and district, most are still only 1/2 days for kinder. I know that there is only a handful of Calgary schools that offer full-day kinder and those schools are usually in lower-income areas where the kids typically need the enrichment.

We homeschool and we are starting this week. Looking forward to getting back into a routine.
That is interesting.

Homeschooling is something we may consider in the future. I'm still a little nervous about taking that step though to be honest.

Kelly