Travel

How does Flight Delay Insurance / Trip Interruption Insurance How do they Work?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2013 7:08 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
1072 posts
67 upvotes
Vancouver

How does Flight Delay Insurance / Trip Interruption Insurance How do they Work?

Hi

Having a very bad day(guess Friday the 13th is to blame). Today I was in Halifax trying to get back To Vancouver(missed every connection flight....not my fault), Been to 4 different airports now in 4 different provinces, Delayed at one for 4 to 4 half hours just to get to Victoria to find out I missed the last flight out and was given a choice

a) Stay at a hotel and fly out tomorrow early in the morning

b) Take the Ferry home and taxi it and they(West Jet will reimburse both).

I choose "B" as I just want to get home and I am just sick of landing and taking off and going through airport security.

Anyways figured it would be a good time to learn more about my Capital One Aspire Cash benefits. I really only think at most I can claim like $10 but like I said maybe it is a good time to learn for future cases.

I always wondered when you can actually use these benefits as like in my case I was given $10 voucher for food(meal came out to $16 + bought a bottle of water later on...So basically $10 out of pocket). With Flight Delay insurance I can claim after 4 hours but what would be the claim amount be $6?

In the policy it says they cover stuff like hotels but won't the airline usually step up and pay for you? so really is the Card benefit more to cover the overflow for meals and maybe a magazine or 2?

I then was looking at travel interruption service but that kinda confused me as well. Like I am taking now alternative transportation(ferry and then long taxi ride home) now but West Jet will reimburse me so what situation would I use the travel interruption service for?

Finally in the policy it states(pg 21 of 44) this for flight delay insurance what kind of confused me.
This coverage is in excess of all
other applicable valid insurance,
indemnity, reimbursement or protection available to You in
respect of the claim. The Insurer
will be liable only for the amount
of loss or damage over the
amount covered under such
other insurance, indemnity,
reimbursement or protection and
for the amount of any applicable
deductible, only if all such other
coverage has been claimed under
and exhausted and subject to the
terms, exclusions and limits of
liability set out in this Certificate of
Insurance. This coverage will not
apply as contributing insurance,
notwithstanding any provision
in any other insurance, indemnity
or protection policies or contracts.
are they basically saying whatever the airline won't cover then it kicks in and they will cover?
9 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
20229 posts
1496 upvotes
xiaobao wrote:
Dec 14th, 2013 1:04 am
Hi

Having a very bad day(guess Friday the 13th is to blame). Today I was in Halifax trying to get back To Vancouver(missed every connection flight....not my fault), Been to 4 different airports now in 4 different provinces, Delayed at one for 4 to 4 half hours just to get to Victoria to find out I missed the last flight out and was given a choice

a) Stay at a hotel and fly out tomorrow early in the morning

b) Take the Ferry home and taxi it and they(West Jet will reimburse both).

I choose "B" as I just want to get home and I am just sick of landing and taking off and going through airport security.

Anyways figured it would be a good time to learn more about my Capital One Aspire Cash benefits. I really only think at most I can claim like $10 but like I said maybe it is a good time to learn for future cases.

I always wondered when you can actually use these benefits as like in my case I was given $10 voucher for food(meal came out to $16 + bought a bottle of water later on...So basically $10 out of pocket). With Flight Delay insurance I can claim after 4 hours but what would be the claim amount be $6?

In the policy it says they cover stuff like hotels but won't the airline usually step up and pay for you? so really is the Card benefit more to cover the overflow for meals and maybe a magazine or 2?

I then was looking at travel interruption service but that kinda confused me as well. Like I am taking now alternative transportation(ferry and then long taxi ride home) now but West Jet will reimburse me so what situation would I use the travel interruption service for?

Finally in the policy it states(pg 21 of 44) this for flight delay insurance what kind of confused me.

are they basically saying whatever the airline won't cover then it kicks in and they will cover?
They cover anything the airline does not. CC insurance is almost universally secondary to any other insurance/reimbursement options you have.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24879 posts
2465 upvotes
Ottawa
OP, you are correct in your last statement.
It’s not how far you fall that counts. It’s how high you bounce that counts! General G Patton
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
1072 posts
67 upvotes
Vancouver
Kasakato wrote:
Dec 14th, 2013 1:39 am
They cover anything the airline does not. CC insurance is almost universally secondary to any other insurance/reimbursement options you have.
So I guess that goes same for baggage loss(at this time WestJet has no clue where my luggage is)
Dec 14, 2012
60 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa
xiaobao wrote:
Dec 14th, 2013 9:13 pm
So I guess that goes same for baggage loss(at this time WestJet has no clue where my luggage is)
Not necessarily. Again, best thing to do is call them up. I do not have Capital One but have claimed with RBC Avion; my friend who has CIBC Aerogold has made claims with that card no problem.

A good practice I have is when I call my cc to inform them of my travel plans, I go over the insurance with them so it's fresh in my mind. Case in point our trip to Portugal 2 years ago. Flight delays (greater than 4 hours), missed connections, and to top it off lost luggage. I claimed our breakfast at LHR (most expensive scramble egg breakie evar), our lunch, and the luggage replacement items. No way we were going to the beach without sandals, towels, sunscreen, etc. They got us out of LHR on last flight, otherwise I would have claimed the hotel with my cc. As previous poster said, cc insurance is secondary to any other insurance BUT sometimes you can fit some items into your claim. Personally, I find dealing with the cc insurance folk much better than the airline folk. My total claim from above was over $400. The RBC insurance people were quite helpful actually, and the cheque came quickly. A long story, but goes to show the insurance can be valuable under certain situations. In your case, I would definitely call and see what you can claim. Regardless of what you do, keep ALL receipts.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10067 posts
1640 upvotes
Kingston
When I'm going on any kind of trip that I might use CC insurance I always take a copy of the terms with me in my carry-on. If anything comes up you have the terms and phone numbers right there. Often you have to call them to inform them of the incident shortly after it happens. There is a number on the back of the card as well, but I like to have the terms handy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
1072 posts
67 upvotes
Vancouver
Well I arrived Friday and still no word from Westjet on what the heck is happening, kinda getting worried now it is lost and reading through my benefits book.

If I hear nothing back by tomorrow from Westjet...I guess I have to phone Capital one and starting figuring all this out. Right now all I have is a "Delayed Baggage Receipt" so my bag is not considered lost and since I arrived home I am not eligible for the "Baggage Delay" option.

Though I am kinda worried about all these restrictions on Lost Bagage capital one has.

For instance 90% of my clothing was work clothing but it says something like "any property pertaining to a business, professor or occupation" so don't know if they could turn around and go well that is for your occupation too bad, I then had my retainer in it as well and my electric raiser what they might reject as well since could be classified as false teeth or medical equipment and finally when I have to submit say something like

(iii) the original itemized sales receipts for replacement costs incurred"

I highly doubt I have any of the receipts of the original items anymore.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10067 posts
1640 upvotes
Kingston
I understand your concern but clothing is not the business stuff they are talking about. My experiences with CapOne's insurer have all been straightforward and ended with appropriate payments. I know some people contend that insurers will do everything to avoid payments but that hasn't been my experience.

Please re-read the section you quoted: (iii) the original itemized sales receipts for replacement costs incurred. You will have to buy replacement items and send them the receipts for those items. They only want to reimburse you for legit replacement of the lost items.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
1072 posts
67 upvotes
Vancouver
JWL wrote:
Dec 16th, 2013 9:12 am
I understand your concern but clothing is not the business stuff they are talking about. My experiences with CapOne's insurer have all been straightforward and ended with appropriate payments. I know some people contend that insurers will do everything to avoid payments but that hasn't been my experience.

Please re-read the section you quoted: (iii) the original itemized sales receipts for replacement costs incurred. You will have to buy replacement items and send them the receipts for those items. They only want to reimburse you for legit replacement of the lost items.
Ok, good because all my work clothing is expensive and not sure if West Jet will cover it all as half of my suit was in the luggage and highly doubtful I will be able to get only half of it replaced. In any case I will have to go to Moores and get a list of how much my stuff cost(I think they might still have record of it all) to get a better idea on how much it will cost all over all.

The only thing is that Westjet seems to not care, It says on the document that they will phone me every day for 5 days about my luggage, I have not gotten one call yet, the number they wrote down is some residential home which apparently gets lots of calls from Westjet customers.

I tried to phone call center but they could not help me and told me I have to go through the email system and wait. I asked how long till they declare it lost and she thinks it is 2 business weeks and I can't wait that long(probably more like 3 weeks with all the holidays) without a shaver( I had an electric shaver) and I need to start booking a dentist appointment for a new retainer as I should be wearing it every night(at one point I had a permant wire to stop it from moving but it caused too much grief for my regular dentist to clean that area so I was told I can just wear my retainer at night instead) or risk my teeth moving back and since with X-Mas coming up and New years might now take like a month and half to get an appointment(I think they close 2 weeks in December and then a huge back list in January) plus time till I get a new on.

Hope I get that email soon as they should at least give me a go ahead to get a few of these items.
× < >