Personal Finance

How does this organisation Great Canadian Rebates make money?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2011 9:31 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2739 posts
194 upvotes
Canadia

How does this organisation Great Canadian Rebates make money?

Just curious about how they stay profitable with all these apparent cashbacks they do.
18 replies
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
37899 posts
824 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The companies themselves give GCR $$, of course. Say, they pay you $60 for applying to MBNA mastercard. MBNA probably pays them $80, and they earn $20. Plus ads, of course.
*BRAND NEW* 2016 Model Dyson Big Ball Canister Multi-Floor Only **$430**
(Reg. $499+tax=$560+) Save > $130!
Silver Coins | Dyson Big Ball Canister Multi-Floor
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2005
3415 posts
29 upvotes
Coquitlam
They are simply the middleman. Without people like you signing up products and services through their website, they will not make money.
Aug 18, 2008
183 posts
2 upvotes
I used great canadian rebates twice now. The first time I didn't get any cashback and the second time the cashback was inaccurate. Has anyone else experienced this?
Apr 6, 2007
386 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga
Bebevmkb wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2010 11:14 pm
I used great canadian rebates twice now. The first time I didn't get any cashback and the second time the cashback was inaccurate. Has anyone else experienced this?
I've been using their service for almost a year, already earned $236 cash back and never noticed any variance from the expected return.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
3334 posts
248 upvotes
sklm wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2010 6:47 am
I've been using their service for almost a year, already earned $236 cash back and never noticed any variance from the expected return.
Likewise, between my wife and I, we probably got close to $300 from GCR as well. Can't complaint, free money I otherwise don't get if I don't buy/apply thru it.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18501 posts
930 upvotes
It's simple, they only rebate you *some* of their click-through revenue.

IE - Say RFD links to Dell.ca, and dell kicks back 3% for that purchase. RFD keeps that whole 3%. GCR, on the other hand, makes no bones about the fact that you are clicking through them- and in return, they only keep 2%, and kick back 1% to you as a reward.

I have put into the RFD suggestion box a few times now, that RFD should be offering GCR style kickbacks. If they did this then MANY more people would click-through their ads instead of going through the competition. FatWallet.com in the US, an RFD-style shopping site, does this, and my impression is they are far larger and make a lot more money than RFD.

GCR and DG are great for their rebates, but their forums and community are poor compared to RFD> If RFD would implement the rebate kickbacks it would be the best of all worlds and you would not have to leave the site to get the best deals.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5038 posts
1277 upvotes
Perhaps some changes coming since YPG acquired RFD. Only been a few weeks, those large corporations take a while to implement changes. We'll see.

But, yeah as explained the concept is very simple in fact. The hardest part is getting the word out there that you exist and getting enough business to be sustainable. Say you get an average 3% back, you gave half of it to the buyer, you,re left with 1.5%. Well, you better sell at least 300k a month to get 4,500$. Even then, that's only a very average salary, and that's not counting the operating costs, whether you have employees, etc. Of course running an online business has less operating costs but you still have to pay for domain registration, web host/programer, etc.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2002
4954 posts
61 upvotes
I don't think it should be too difficult to implement. SC (RFD's competitor site) is much smaller in scale, implemented this, and it worked well for awhile. Then that site's owner decided to scam everyone by keeping all of the profits to himself, but that's beside the point.

I think there's enough volume and buying power here to make it sustainable.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6109 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
brunes wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2010 3:17 pm
It's simple, they only rebate you *some* of their click-through revenue.

IE - Say RFD links to Dell.ca, and dell kicks back 3% for that purchase. RFD keeps that whole 3%. GCR, on the other hand, makes no bones about the fact that you are clicking through them- and in return, they only keep 2%, and kick back 1% to you as a reward.

I have put into the RFD suggestion box a few times now, that RFD should be offering GCR style kickbacks. If they did this then MANY more people would click-through their ads instead of going through the competition. FatWallet.com in the US, an RFD-style shopping site, does this, and my impression is they are far larger and make a lot more money than RFD.

GCR and DG are great for their rebates, but their forums and community are poor compared to RFD> If RFD would implement the rebate kickbacks it would be the best of all worlds and you would not have to leave the site to get the best deals.

Thanx for the info Brunes, what is DG? also are there any sites out there CDN or US that offer 3% or moe in rebates? I know GCR offers rebates bonuses on occassion. I staced up $150 in 1 yr and its great that you can request a cheque or paypal.
Ne0's items:Finito
♠ G@mer & t3<h [onnoisseur ♠ Spitting t3<hy lingo since the 80's

Send PM's HERE♠ eBay|600+ ♠ | XB360 GT:Ask? ♠ PSN ID:ILLmatic_KINGPIN
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2005
2661 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
HighFlyer wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2010 5:58 pm
I don't think it should be too difficult to implement. SC (RFD's competitor site) is much smaller in scale, implemented this, and it worked well for awhile. Then that site's owner decided to scam everyone by keeping all of the profits to himself, but that's beside the point.

I think there's enough volume and buying power here to make it sustainable.
I know someone that works at SC. Please do not make allegations about 'scams' unless you can back them up with proof.
[QUOTE]there's no such thing as a stupid question unless it's a really stupid question - me[/QUOTE]
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18501 posts
930 upvotes
Neovingian wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2010 8:15 pm

Thanx for the info Brunes, what is DG?
Pm'ed it to you since RFD censors their competitors (something that drives me nuts)
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Oct 24, 2005
622 posts
61 upvotes
after all these years on RFDs, there was actually a way to get better deals via other sites?!?! oh man...
× < >