Shopping Discussion

How does Shoppers Drug Mart have so many customers? Awful prices on everything.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2018 7:07 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Nov 12, 2008
807 posts
19 upvotes
Not everyone is cheap. I don't mind paying a little bit more money for a decent shopping experience and good selection.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1195 posts
93 upvotes
sandikosh wrote:
Feb 11th, 2012 9:58 pm
Milk is cheaper.

While this is generally true, I've been hooked on the 4L bags of $3.99 Lactancia from Freshco lately.
Jul 13, 2009
289 posts
229 upvotes
My friends usually just go there to shop for High-End Cosmetics and Perfumes. These prices are set, so its basically the same everywhere.
They never go on sale, but when you have 20x Point Weekends its like getting ~20% off, which is better then Sephora, or other places.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2009
1925 posts
80 upvotes
I don't understand with those who post with "butter is cheaper"?

So what, you're going to do all your shopping at Walmart but just drop in at Shoppers for the Butter? Doesnt make any sense to me. The "few" items you see at lower prices doesn't justify the incentive to go shop there, if that were the case then every time I do my shopping I would have to split my 30 item grocery list between 6 different stores!

When an item goes on sale, it's only worth it to buy alot of that item like say 12 case of water or 2L pop. But Butter? lol
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10128 posts
460 upvotes
Brampton
yao416 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2012 9:38 pm
I'm happy with their $.59 tissue boxes

Yea thats Cheap approved :D
dragon_drift wrote:
Feb 11th, 2012 9:44 pm
They're open 24/7 and they have...condoms ;)
lol!
sandikosh wrote:
Feb 11th, 2012 9:58 pm
Milk is cheaper.

Yep!

I also find that they always have everything in stock, and they are located in convenient locations. I don't shop there a lot, cause the prices are a rip.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Sep 17, 2009
494 posts
64 upvotes
I don't use condoms, they're extremely toxic.
[removed for signature violation]
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14553 posts
1579 upvotes
Toronto
You guys should see my bill at Shoppers.
It's filled with items that are on sale or have a standard price across various stores.

And by sale, I don't mean 50 cents off so I'm buying it. I mean the BEST price for ANY store over the past 3 months. I wait and I wait and I wait and then I buy it at Shoppers. If Wal-Mart had it, I'd go there. If Food Basics had it, I'd go there.
I don't have a hate on for Shoppers so I'm willing to go through their flyer and find things that are good for me.

Everyone shops differently. I pretty much buy things that are on sale only, because I can at this point in my life (feeding 1, not 5). Shoppers has a lot of sales.

P.S. There are select items that are regularly cheaper at SDM than other stores, such as facial tissues, bathroom tissue (sale), ice cream (sale), milk, butter, eggs, bread, etc ... I catch those regularly.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19762 posts
3585 upvotes
Poormond Hill
vaportrails wrote:
Feb 12th, 2012 12:41 am
While this is generally true, I've been hooked on the 4L bags of $3.99 Lactancia from Freshco lately.

Where I live a Freshco is 6km from me. But within that 6km, there are 6 shoppers.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13281 posts
715 upvotes
I won't differentiate phara plus vs shoppers. Same arguments can be made for both.

Why do i shop at either?

No Costco close...also don't need stupid big sizes or volumes.
No Walmart in the neighbourhod...plus hate the store
In both instances I hate the parking, lines, amount of peope at the big box stores. It just makes me angry.

Pharmaplusandxhoppers are local. Easier to get to..and in the end not much more expensive for what I buy there.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2007
2228 posts
81 upvotes
They often have $1.99 per dozen eggs for sale, I don't see that anywhere (wal-mart, no frill, food basic...you name it)
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
3521 posts
1216 upvotes
Halifax
Nettles wrote:
Feb 11th, 2012 11:03 pm
It's basically another example of a Canadian company which doesn't provide the best value for the customer but getting a large share of the market because of market conditions created by the gov't similar to Bell or Rogers.
Could you clarify what role the government has in Shoppers getting so big?

Bell and Rogers got big because they are a monopoly on some of the services they provide and an oligopoly in others. I have no clue how Shoppers is similar to this in any way.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
3521 posts
1216 upvotes
Halifax
eldiablo wrote:
Feb 11th, 2012 11:11 pm
I don't see them being around in 5 years or so. I get all my prescriptions filled at a small pharmacy simply because they are cheaper and have better service.
Many provincial governments are cutting the maximum prices allowable on generic drugs and preventing manufactures from giving the pharmacies kickbacks on generic drugs.

This is going to hurt the bottom line of all pharmacies, but there is good reason to believe that the larger chains are going to be able to survive better than the smaller independent stores. The items other than prescription drugs is a quite sizeable portion of total income for the larger stores.

Smaller independent stores tend to rely more on the income from dispensing fees and kickbacks, than they do on the other items in the store. If the kickbacks are eliminated or severely curtailed they may have a lot of trouble surviving.
Aug 8, 2011
700 posts
40 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Shoppers Drug Mart is opposite to Rexall and No Frills where I live so hence I do not go to Shoppers Drug Mart all together. I scan their flyers and compare with other flyers if its significantly cheaper then I go there.

Shoppers Drug Mart
- convenient
- points especially 50x points, movie tickets
- post office, some have medical labs within
- Passport Photos

are some of the reasons why people go to shoppers frequently

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)