Shopping Discussion

How does Shoppers Drug Mart have so many customers? Awful prices on everything.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2018 7:07 pm
Tags:
None
May 31, 2008
513 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
I love SDM.
Its nice, clean, organized, the aisles are (usually) spacious.

Have you seen the pharmacies in the US? Or in any other country? How many of them even have locations inside a mall like SDM does?

True, the prices tend to be on the higher side (more so over the last 2 years), but they do have some good deals ..some of which are not advertised in flyers etc.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
3706 posts
299 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Becks wrote:
Feb 13th, 2012 10:06 pm
Their Everyday Market condensed milk sometimes goes on sale for $.99 and tastes awesome in my coffee!

Condensed milk, or evaporated milk?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5267 posts
717 upvotes
Toronto
Their prices arent bad, their lineups are always bad at most locations. Im not waiting in a lineup 10+ deep for a few sale items when they have 1 till open when they have 4 others not in use.

I think some are passed the threshhold of larger store where they need an express line and/or a customer service desk.

I'd shop there more often if I didn't need to wait in line longer than it takes me to shop there.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
181 upvotes
Burnaby
submalst wrote:
Feb 20th, 2012 10:57 am
I love SDM.
Its nice, clean, organized, the aisles are (usually) spacious.

Have you seen the pharmacies in the US? Or in any other country? How many of them even have locations inside a mall like SDM does?.
Yah, funny you mention that actually . . . we're getting a lot of Americans moving up to Calgary these days (because up here they can actually still find decent jobs) and I walked into my local SDM some weeks ago behind two obvious American southerners (with the drawl, y'all?) And the one woman sez to the other as they're striding down the main aisle, "See what I mean? Now isn't this just the nicest drug store??" and the other gushes "yeah, it's so CLEAN looking!")
"I count as braver he who conquers his desires than he who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over the self." - Aristotle
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2007
3772 posts
1067 upvotes
Don't have time to go through all the pages but I ask many people the exact same question as the title since a long time ago. I notice seniors like shopping at SDM as they don't seem to care too much about the inflated prices. I do check their flyer every week and they do have items at reasonable price when on sale but Walmart is where I do my everyday shopping. The 10x or 20x events sound good but I don't know if they make up for the overpriced items you pay for.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
3812 posts
1132 upvotes
Montreal
I used to hate shopping at SDM.

I love it ever since I put my Math skill into it.

For example:
I bought a Giorgio Armani Acqua di Gioia eau de Parfum on Feb 10 (20x) for $88.53 ($77+$11.53tax)

It gave me 14630 pts + 20000 bonus pts (product itself) + 8000 bonus pts (their vib coupons) = 43400 pts

I used it on the next day bonus redemption (80000 pts for $200), it gave me $108.5 worth of purchases back.
I made $19.97 plus a free Parfum.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16358 posts
1406 upvotes
Space for rent
dragon_drift wrote:
Feb 11th, 2012 9:44 pm
They're open 24/7 and they have...condoms ;)

This is red land of virgins what for they need contraceptives for?

I go for prescriptions.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15375 posts
3240 upvotes
Toronto
Shoppers Drug Mart has one of the best loyalty programs out there with their optimum points card. They also have a loyal customer base too. Their 20X points promotions are quite successful.
Jan 4, 2008
773 posts
185 upvotes
Gatineau
Some people are not cheap, they will pay a little extra for a nice clean store
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1169 posts
95 upvotes
Shoppers downstairs from my work.
Shoppers across the road from my home.
3 more Shoppers between work and home.

That's why.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
181 upvotes
Burnaby
Astin wrote:
Feb 21st, 2012 2:31 pm
Shoppers downstairs from my work.
Shoppers across the road from my home.
3 more Shoppers between work and home.

That's why.
+1
I think there must be more SDMs than 7-Elevens in Calgary. (I was gonna say Starbucks, but no one would believe that.)
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
181 upvotes
Burnaby
There actually ARE more Shoppers Drug Marts than 7-Elevens in Calgary. 41 SDMs (not counting the Murales and outlying areas) versus 26 for the Slurpee vendor (according to their respective websites.)
Mar 7, 2009
56 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
Pros

- More convenient than Costco and Walmart
- Staff is friendlier and usually less of a wait.
- Optimum points (20x)
- Sales make item prices competitive
Dec 10, 2017
732 posts
410 upvotes
If You play the game right ...you can earn points on top of points

Shop only on 20x points day and buy things that are on sale only.(tip- think in advance and buy gift items that you might need to gift in the near future)

Redeem points only on extra $$ redemptions day. Buy something expensive like camera/electronic

Return the item and they will give you the balance in gift card.

Use gift card to buy things on sale on 20x points day.

Do you get where I’m going with this???
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5596 posts
3180 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
FoMoHotDeals wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 11:05 pm
If You play the game right ...you can earn points on top of points

Shop only on 20x points day and buy things that are on sale only.(tip- think in advance and buy gift items that you might need to gift in the near future)

Redeem points only on extra $$ redemptions day. Buy something expensive like camera/electronic

Return the item and they will give you the balance in gift card.

Use gift card to buy things on sale on 20x points day.

Do you get where I’m going with this???
Uhhhh... you do know that you WOKE UP a 6 year old thread right
:facepalm: