Shopping Discussion

How does Shoppers Drug Mart have so many customers? Awful prices on everything.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2018 7:07 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
3219 posts
1555 upvotes
A true rfder looks over the Rfd Bible for SDM

The new testament says your must ONLY buy if it meets the five RFD commandments
1. The one day/weekend sale...pop, chips, toilet paper, kleenex etc, detergent, tide. Specific loss leader idems
2. Only purchasing everyday loss leader items such as eggs, milk on Sdm/ pc optimum card program 20x points days or bonus app deals
3. Cashing in the points on bonus redemption day
4. Only paying regular price for higher end items that rarely go on sale. Ex electronics, perfume/Cologne
5. Wheel in a senior to cash in on 20% off Thursday senior day. (Thanks to hdom)

These are the RFD commandments
Failure to do so will lead to a ban
Last edited by witenite on Feb 13th, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1240 posts
367 upvotes
Despite the 6 year bump, I got to Shoppers every once in a while, mostly because the lines are small, they have the stuff I would need (cold medicines, milk), and it's main attraction is the location. In the last 4 places I have lived since I was like 14.....I have always lived next to a Shoppers. I could drive to Walmart...but then i got to line up in their stupid lines, deal with stupid people, all to save like $2....which would be burned off for my wasted time and extra gas. No thanks.

I shop at Superstore for all my groceries, but if I ran out of milk, I will drop by shoppers and pick it up. Don't do any real shopping there, except when they clearance out the candy after Christmas :D
Oct 14, 2017
580 posts
329 upvotes
GTA
eblend wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 11:55 pm
Despite the 6 year bump, I got to Shoppers every once in a while, mostly because the lines are small, they have the stuff I would need (cold medicines, milk), and it's main attraction is the location. In the last 4 places I have lived since I was like 14.....I have always lived next to a Shoppers. I could drive to Walmart...but then i got to line up in their stupid lines, deal with stupid people, all to save like $2....which would be burned off for my wasted time and extra gas. No thanks.

I shop at Superstore for all my groceries, but if I ran out of milk, I will drop by shoppers and pick it up. Don't do any real shopping there, except when they clearance out the candy after Christmas :D
It's possible to save a lot of money at Shoppers, even compared to Walmart and the discount grocery chains, but doing so requires making the effort to shop selectively by learning how to work the loyalty program rather than relying on sweeping generalizations like the one in this thread's title or the one you've just made that there's only one time in the year when it's worth shopping there.

It's your prerogative to decide the savings aren't worth the effort, but if you do so on the presumption that you can't save much there, that's a false premise unless you have a rather unusual buying pattern.
Nov 29, 2017
896 posts
656 upvotes
When they sell video game consoles at or below the competitors plus you can collect pc optimum points! Bonus $2.99 for 6pk boxes of tissues
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4268 posts
1574 upvotes
Toronto
Congrats on being the Necromancer of the Week
FoMoHotDeals wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 11:05 pm
If You play the game right ...you can earn points on top of points

Shop only on 20x points day and buy things that are on sale only.(tip- think in advance and buy gift items that you might need to gift in the near future)

Redeem points only on extra $$ redemptions day. Buy something expensive like camera/electronic

Return the item and they will give you the balance in gift card.

Use gift card to buy things on sale on 20x points day.

Do you get where I’m going with this???
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Nov 13, 2017
8 posts
6 upvotes
Omakase wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 6:18 am
When they sell video game consoles at or below the competitors plus you can collect pc optimum points! Bonus $2.99 for 6pk boxes of tissues
Can you earn PC Optimum points on games? Nintendo Switch games are partake in 20x the points days?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4805 posts
2601 upvotes
Kennedy099 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 9:15 am
Can you earn PC Optimum points on games? Nintendo Switch games are partake in 20x the points days?
I see you are a newbie to RFD, so here’s a tip...

Don’t multi post the same thing in various places. It annoys people who otherwise are here to help.

You’ve posted it as you should have in the PC Optimum Points Program Thread, so that’s enough. Someone will answer your points inquiry there
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7264 posts
1225 upvotes
Would add bring a senior on Senior Day and get 20% off on those higher end items, you spoke off.
witenite wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 11:36 pm
A true rfder looks over the Rfd Bible for SDM

The new testament says your must ONLY buy if it meets the four RFD commandments
1. The one day/weekend sale...pop, chips, toilet paper, kleenex etc, detergent, tide. Specific loss leader idems
2. Only purchasings everyday items eggs, milk on Sdm/ pc optimum card program 20x points days or bonus app deals
3. Cashing in the points on bonus redemption day
4. Only paying regular price for higher end items that rarely go on sale. Ex electronics, perfume/cologme

These are the RFD commandments
Failure to do so will.lead to a ban
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Oct 14, 2017
580 posts
329 upvotes
GTA
hdom wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 9:46 am
Would add bring a senior on Senior Day and get 20% off on those higher end items, you spoke off.
Non-seniors have reported getting the senior day discount by bringing a senior with them, even when the senior isn't the actual purchaser. There may be some chance YMMV, but I suspect the odds are solidly against being denied.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1662 posts
511 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Wheeled in my 85 year old grandpa into SDM. Came out with a box of condoms with seniors discount.
Nov 29, 2017
896 posts
656 upvotes
Kennedy099 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 9:15 am
Yes and on 20x points days make sure you meet the minimum purchase requirement
Sep 8, 2006
574 posts
306 upvotes
Edmonton
Is Superstore trying to kill off SDM? I no longer get the 20x points milk coupon which brought them foot traffic. I don't have coupons for point bonuses for a specific amount of purchases. Without coupons it makes no sense to shop at SDM. Everything is cheaper elsewhere and there would be more selection if I wanted food items.
Oct 14, 2017
580 posts
329 upvotes
GTA
Simby wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 11:58 am
Is Superstore trying to kill off SDM? I no longer get the 20x points milk coupon which brought them foot traffic. I don't have coupons for point bonuses for a specific amount of purchases. Without coupons it makes no sense to shop at SDM. Everything is cheaper elsewhere and there would be more selection if I wanted food items.
It seems very likely that the offer generation element of PCO isn't yet working completely as it's supposed to. Furthermore, it's worse for some accounts than for others. There's no solid basis to feel there are ulterior motives at play.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4389 posts
927 upvotes
Alberta
stovetop wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 11:14 am
Wheeled in my 85 year old grandpa into SDM. Came out with a box of condoms with seniors discount.
For him or yourself? lol
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4389 posts
927 upvotes
Alberta
Simby wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 11:58 am
We got and used the 20x milk and the 20x base points 2 weeks ago and haven't seen it since.