Shopping Discussion

How does someone make money selling on ebay?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2015 4:06 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 1, 2004
170 posts
43 upvotes
There's 2 type of people now selling on ebay : business and thrifters.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1572 posts
433 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
mkl38s wrote: I probably go back to kijiji for local pick up from now on
If I can't sell something on Kijiji, I either keep it, throw it away, or donate it to Goodwill. The only thing I use eBay for, is buying cheap stuff from China / Hong Kong that I am not in a rush for.

Recently, I've sold a few large furniture items on Kijiji. I kept my asking price low, and offered in town delivery at a fair rate. This has resulted in some very quick sales, while still yielding a profit that I judge to be "worth the trouble."
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
3983 posts
707 upvotes
I only sell items that are in high demand or collector type stuff as you will almost always get above what you were looking for and usually more than a local sale (at least locally for me). As the others have said you have to know your shipping costs, and charge more the it will cost to ship to cover all the fees.
Banned
Dec 17, 2015
3 posts
1 upvote
Edmonton, AB
I doubt any Canadians make money selling stuff on eBay. It's impossible to compete with Chinese with their $3 worldwide shipping and cheap items. Unless you have something rare and expensive that you can mark up in price high enough to absorb the fees and still make something, I wouldn't bother. You'd have been better off throwing it in the garbage.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1338 posts
397 upvotes
Ottawa
In Canada ebay has always been more or less just another online shopping store than a platform to sell stuff. The problem lies exactly where you have described: Canada Post. Canada Post just don't have any way to ship small domestic parcel economically.

You can ship a small parcel all the way from China to Ontario and it will cost you a few bucks. Shipping the same parcel from one address in Toronto to the another address in the same city will cost you 10 times more.
Aug 13, 2011
986 posts
213 upvotes
As a small tip to you or anyone who plans to sell on eBay, eBay has a deal with Canada Post and Fed Ex so you get discounted shipping when you ship through either of them. With Canada Post it's really easy: Once your item is sold go to My eBay and All Selling and click on "Print Shipping Label" next to the item that sold. It'll take you to PayPal where you fill in the details (weight and dimensions of package, what the item is, ect) and then it will give you a discounted shipping cost. For me it's always at least a couple dollars cheaper than Canada Post's website. Then you print out the label, sign it (if applicable) and then drop it off at the Post Office. Really simple and straight forward.

With Fed Ex you have to make a separate account with them and give them your credit card.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3324 posts
554 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
csi123 wrote: In Canada ebay has always been more or less just another online shopping store than a platform to sell stuff. The problem lies exactly where you have described: Canada Post. Canada Post just don't have any way to ship small domestic parcel economically.

You can ship a small parcel all the way from China to Ontario and it will cost you a few bucks. Shipping the same parcel from one address in Toronto to the another address in the same city will cost you 10 times more.
Shipped a parcel to bumf&*k Montana as part of a secret santa thing. $38. Meh whatevs. Sent a LIGHTER package from Toronto to Kingston $44. It made no sense. Also as an aside, I also had a deal to ship some legos to Alberta. Shipping added 150% to the price of the deal through Canada Post. Deal fell apart because of the shipping. :(
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1656 posts
1686 upvotes
Montreal
i still dont understand chineese selling on ebay with free shipping. sometimes the fixed price for an item is less than 1$. how do they make money??? or who makes money???for 1$
ebay makes 0.10$
paypal 0.07$
shipping?? $$
seller??? $$
❗ We buy things that we don't need, with money that we don't have, to impress people that we don't like. ❗
Jan 12, 2005
902 posts
303 upvotes
I've given up selling on ebay. Small ticket items are not worth the time to weigh it at the post office before you even list it. Canadian dollar is hurting right now so if you list it in the default USD, nobody will touch it.

Always select the shipping calculator and factory in ebay and paypall fees. There are FAQs on ebay's website
Aug 18, 2011
829 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
Bessem wrote: i still dont understand chineese selling on ebay with free shipping. sometimes the fixed price for an item is less than 1$. how do they make money??? or who makes money???for 1$
ebay makes 0.10$
paypal 0.07$
shipping?? $$
seller??? $$
Their system is different. Also most of those sellers only do it to get access to your email. Ever notice increase amounts of spam and wonder for the life of you what site you visited that started causing this? It was probably because you bought something from a China ebay seller.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
9270 posts
4365 upvotes
I've sold some CG coats on Ebay relatively quickly at a pretty decent return. If it's not in demand then don't even bother. There are just way too many costs from ebay and then with paypal.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10812 posts
1347 upvotes
Edmonton
rkjredflag wrote: If I can't sell something on Kijiji, I either keep it, throw it away, or donate it to Goodwill. The only thing I use eBay for, is buying cheap stuff from China / Hong Kong that I am not in a rush for.

Recently, I've sold a few large furniture items on Kijiji. I kept my asking price low, and offered in town delivery at a fair rate. This has resulted in some very quick sales, while still yielding a profit that I judge to be "worth the trouble."

Yup. EBay is a victim of its own fee structure and has become nothing more than an asian flea market.

Local selling is the only option for canadians due to high postal costs.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8886 posts
2345 upvotes
London
Shipping is the key to successful selling on Ebay. Knowing the cheapest way to ship, what the different methods and packaging options are, etc, make all the difference to making money. That said, we are a considerable disadvantages being in Canada. If you're near a border, shipping from the US can be very useful.

I usually use Facebook sales, Kijiji, and other online venues before I even think about Ebay... and I only Ebay high value items, or low value/easy to ship items. High value items easily support more expensive shipping methods. Low value items support cheap shipping w/o insurance or delivery confirmation; I'll take the hit if there's an issue with those without too much pain.