How to download FLV videos from CBC.ca?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2018 1:41 pm
Banned
Nov 7, 2012
12 posts
1 upvote
VICTORIA
Can't download any cbc olympic videos. Anyone else try yet? ffmpeg/streamlink/youtube-dl not working for me.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
lewisamalor wrote: Is someone able to download this video from CBC.ca? It's just a MarketPlace video about how some companies try to screw us.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/swf/UberPlayer. ... tplace.jpg

I've managed to filter the URL down to just this:
http://www.cbc.ca/video/swf/UberPlayer. ... 1354327087

but since CBC serves up an advertisement before the video, I am having difficulty capturing the FLV stream.

Is anybody able to provide guidance? I'm using Orbit Downloader to try to capture the stream.
All I have to do, is to type youtube-dl on the terminal of my Linuxmint. The computer will do the rest to download the video from cbc on companies scamming.
It is an mp4 file of 22.27 minute
Yes. I have skipped a lot of steps though. I search youtube on " cbc scam marketspace video "
Windows should be able to run that too
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
SteveBish wrote: Has anyone found any luck on how to download a video from CBC (not live streaming?) yet?

I'm trying to download this video: http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/b-c- ... n-1.420686

Thanks!
I searched " cbc ghost town youtube ". Then I typed , on my terminal of Linuxmint the command line, youtube-dl
After that I get a mp4 file of 5.48 min
That was a piece of cake
tyeeman wrote: Can't download any cbc olympic videos. Anyone else try yet? ffmpeg/streamlink/youtube-dl not working for me.
I think there is no problem for the last Olympic. Not the current one though
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43249 upvotes
ONTARIO
tyeeman wrote: Can't download any cbc olympic videos. Anyone else try yet? ffmpeg/streamlink/youtube-dl not working for me.
Check out Video DownloadHelper add-on for Firefox. Worked for me when I did a quick test just now.

Opened up the live stream on CBC.ca and then clicked the Video DownloadHelper icon, selected the best stream quality and let it run.
I let it run for 5 minutes and then stopped it since I have no interest in recording the entire thing.

Tested the mp4 it created on my HDD (~700MB) and it had roughly 26 minutes of video downloaded.
The stream is live, but it allows you to seek back to earlier, so it was recording from the very beginning (which is why ~26mins recorded in just 5 minutes).
It looks like the stream was already 6+ hours long, so it'll take up quite the amount of space if you want to record a live stream.

If you want the highest quality stream, select this one from the list:
Last edited by BobSagget on Feb 11th, 2018 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43249 upvotes
ONTARIO
I just checked out the non-live full event/condensed event replay sections and it has no problems downloading them either. So if you don't want to record the 6+ hour long live feed, you can just grab these event replays individually.

Grabbed one as another test.
Canada vs Switzerland Mix Doubles Curling 1280x720p. 28 minutes long and 741MB in size. Plays perfectly in my media player (MPC-HC)
Feb 10, 2018
2 posts
I used the Ant Video Downloader extension in firefox, it works for short videos, but I downloaded a video with more than 1 hour and at the end of the download said that it was not possible to do the conversion or something
Feb 10, 2018
2 posts
I had posted this extension and had not been able to download the video, only a part, thanks, I'm going to test for big videos

but I have a problem, the video gets a bit slow at times, as if the amount of fps decreased, how do I fix it?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4807 posts
1801 upvotes
Anyone know how to do this for discovery?
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43249 upvotes
ONTARIO
EEE2 wrote: Anyone know how to do this for discovery?
Do you means videos on Discovery.ca? Youtube-dl will work. I just tested it out on an episode of Daily Planet.
Banned
Nov 7, 2012
12 posts
1 upvote
VICTORIA
Thanks Bob! Found out last night my firewall was my problem! Now ffmpeg/streamlink/youtube-dl all work fine.