• May 17th, 2017 6:23 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 27, 2008
105 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga

How is Fanshawe college?

Been thinking about attending Fanshawe College, which is located in London Ontario. Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of information on this school, except for the KPI reports.

So here is a forum post hoping I would get some feedback from people who went or currently at Fanshawe to share their insights on how good/bad the school is.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1058 posts
49 upvotes
London ON
what would you like to know?

im taking the computer technology program
class sizes are decent (20-30 people)
most teachers try to give you 1 day a week for homework/questions

the school itself is easy to navigate once you've been there for a month or so
2 main bus stops with 3+ buses each
parking can get expensive at 3.25 per day :mad:

lots of food choices
the outback,pizza pizza, mr sub couple variety stores on campus and across the street theres a 2for1 pizza store + macs and down the road theres 10+ fast food chains
[OP]
Jun 27, 2008
105 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
jordanr1987 wrote:
Aug 31st, 2009 2:39 am
what would you like to know?

im taking the computer technology program
class sizes are decent (20-30 people)
most teachers try to give you 1 day a week for homework/questions

the school itself is easy to navigate once you've been there for a month or so
2 main bus stops with 3+ buses each
parking can get expensive at 3.25 per day :mad:

lots of food choices
the outback,pizza pizza, mr sub couple variety stores on campus and across the street theres a 2for1 pizza store + macs and down the road theres 10+ fast food chains
Interesting you bought that program up, since I'm thinking of taking the same thing. Do the professors do their job well and have good knowledge of the subject? Is there lots of hands-on learning or lots of lectures? Do you actually find the information to be useful? How do the laptops work "alongside" with the course? Is programming a big part of the course?

TL :D R - Do you regret your decision to attend there? :lol:
[OP]
Jun 27, 2008
105 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
Just wanted to bump this because I really need an answer soon. It's either this or Seneca college for Computer Technician/Technology class.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13230 posts
1149 upvotes
I graduated computer technician from Fanshawe.

The teachers were good overall.

The program itself was pretty poorly assembled. The Nortel certificate is about as valuable as toilet paper. They forced us to "rent" laptops first year, which ended up costing as much as a new laptop. The A+ and CCNA both need to be integrated with the program. After all, this is Fanshawe College. It wouldn't kill them to set something up with CompTIA and Cisco to make sure we leave the course with the proper certs. As a result, most people graduated without certifications and since they weren't stressed, it was completely up to you to get them. I didn't bother.

The co-op was a joke, as half the people who signed up didn't get placements.

They tried to bump all the students into the 3-year program through verbal consent, which was poorly documented. I actually had to opt out of the 3rd year and I wasn't sure why, since I'd only signed up for the 2-year diploma. This makes me think they were after another year of money.

Overall, I'd rate the experience 6/10. There were some really excellent instructors (Mike Costa, Norm Tiltman, Denise Seguin) that made up for the lack of course direction.
Jan 28, 2017
1 posts
Hi all, I'm a newbie here and also going to apply Fanshawe in Cyber Security major.However I'm confusing in comparision between this college and Computer network and investigation in Fleming. Could you share any information about this major, plz??
Looking forward...!!!!
Mar 6, 2015
133 posts
3 upvotes
Make this the thread for Fanshawe because there is none now?
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13230 posts
1149 upvotes
MarkyX wrote:
Aug 31st, 2009 11:17 pm
Interesting you bought that program up, since I'm thinking of taking the same thing. Do the professors do their job well and have good knowledge of the subject? Is there lots of hands-on learning or lots of lectures? Do you actually find the information to be useful? How do the laptops work "alongside" with the course? Is programming a big part of the course?

TL :D R - Do you regret your decision to attend there? :lol:
Some teachers are good, some aren't great. The material is fairly easy and straightforward. If you took 12U/M courses in high school, you will have absolutely no problem with the workload. The information is useful in a holistic way, but finding a direct application for it is up to you. Programming is not a very big part of the CTN/CTY streams,.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Mar 6, 2015
133 posts
3 upvotes
Syne wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2009 11:58 am
I graduated computer technician from Fanshawe. The teachers were good overall. It wouldn't kill them to set something up with CompTIA and Cisco to make sure we leave the course with the proper certs. As a result, most people graduated without certifications and since they weren't stressed, it was completely up to you to get them. I didn't bother. The co-op was a joke, as half the people who signed up didn't get placements. They tried to bump all the students into the 3-year program through verbal consent, which was poorly documented. I actually had to opt out of the 3rd year and I wasn't sure why, since I'd only signed up for the 2-year diploma. This makes me think they were after another year of money. Overall, I'd rate the experience 6/10. There were some really excellent instructors (Mike Costa, Norm Tiltman, Denise Seguin) that made up for the lack of course direction.
So if I have a choice to pick colleges for science and technologies program, other colleges will precede Fanshawe?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel