Careers

How far will you drive for an interview?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2016 3:00 pm
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
Depends on context. I wasn't working for 6 months before I started looking for a job. At the time I spent the entire summer at the cottage, so my drive for an interview was 2-3 hours. Would I commute that? No.

Anyway, interviews are great practice. I did have an interview for a job I didn't get (actually 4 in that set) and then a couple of interviews with headhunters...it was great practice for my final set of 7 interviews...I was far more comfortable and impressive for that final set.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
nalababe wrote: Depends on context. I wasn't working for 6 months before I started looking for a job. At the time I spent the entire summer at the cottage, so my drive for an interview was 2-3 hours. Would I commute that? No.

Anyway, interviews are great practice. I did have an interview for a job I didn't get (actually 4 in that set) and then a couple of interviews with headhunters...it was great practice for my final set of 7 interviews...I was far more comfortable and impressive for that final set.
Wait you had to do 7 interviews for one position?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
2065 posts
355 upvotes
Ottawa
I drove about 2 hours for interviews (4 hours round trip) - Petawawa to Ottawa. Once I was offered a position, I moved to Ottawa (2010). I did this a number of times for various positions, tests, interviews, etc...
RFD 15 73H 1337
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
I remember taking 4 hours round trip to go from Toronto to Oakville. Also remember taking a 3.5 hour trip from one end of Toronto to the other end.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2166 posts
710 upvotes
Depends on how bad you want it. Some policing applicants are willing to travel nation-wide if there is a force that's ready to take them.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
2050 posts
925 upvotes
HK
Drive: nothing outside the downtown core.

Although I've flown down to a few interviews. I gauge how well the firms treat their companies based on hiw they treat applicants.

Skype would be much more convenient.
Apr 29, 2016
176 posts
48 upvotes
I drove 18 hours each way once for a job interview... I got the job on the spot. So that's 36 hours.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
raichu1 wrote: Wait you had to do 7 interviews for one position?
Phone Interview with Hiring Consultant
In Person Interview with SVP (Hiring Manager) and also met HR
Call Back for Interviews with SVP, 2xDirector of Sales, Modality Director, HR Senior Manager
Call Back for Interview with CEO
Each was 60-90 minutes
Apr 29, 2016
176 posts
48 upvotes
nalababe wrote: Phone Interview with Hiring Consultant
In Person Interview with SVP (Hiring Manager) and also met HR
Call Back for Interviews with SVP, 2xDirector of Sales, Modality Director, HR Senior Manager
Call Back for Interview with CEO
Each was 60-90 minutes
Crazy, what industry?
Jul 21, 2016
171 posts
8 upvotes
I'd be willing to drive as far North as Alaska, and as far south as Tierra del Fuego.....
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
WOWMAN wrote: Crazy, what industry?
Healthcare major multinational...for a Director Level position. That being said, it is very typical to meet with HR, Hiring Manager, Manager's Boss and one or two peers for most non-entry level jobs.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
I was interviewed on the phone by a headhunting company. Interview lasted about an hour. A few days later they called me back and asked if I would be willing to drive to the work location for an interview, about 6 to 6.5 hours.
I got there the day before, stayed with friends overnight and then went in for the interview. It went well until they asked me my age.
WTF. You can't do that.
I told them my age, then did my best to wind down the interview as quick as possible and left. 6.5 hours later I was home, with no plans to leave.

When they called me a couple of days later, company name showed up on call display, I didn't even bother to answer. They left a message asking me to call back. I never did. F__k em.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2010
1215 posts
437 upvotes
Ottawa
poleman wrote: I was interviewed on the phone by a headhunting company. Interview lasted about an hour. A few days later they called me back and asked if I would be willing to drive to the work location for an interview, about 6 to 6.5 hours.
I got there the day before, stayed with friends overnight and then went in for the interview. It went well until they asked me my age.
WTF. You can't do that.
I told them my age, then did my best to wind down the interview as quick as possible and left. 6.5 hours later I was home, with no plans to leave.

When they called me a couple of days later, company name showed up on call display, I didn't even bother to answer. They left a message asking me to call back. I never did. F__k em.
I know they shouldn't ask you your age. but maybe it doesn't matter to them, otherwise they won't call you back. maybe it's harmless on their part?

So you think they call you back to just reject you? maybe it is possible they want to offer you the job? I don't know, maybe I am a very naive person...please clarify.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
1000islands wrote: I know they shouldn't ask you your age. but maybe it doesn't matter to them, otherwise they won't call you back. maybe it's harmless on their part?

So you think they call you back to just reject you? maybe it is possible they want to offer you the job? I don't know, maybe I am a very naive person...please clarify.
Yeah, a little clarification is needed.

Driving up for the interview, I was torn a bit between accepting the position if it was offered, and living in this particular city. I had reached the point that I just might flip a coin if it was offered. This was a mill town, the industry I was in, and it definitely would not give me the quality of life I wanted.
So when they asked me my age, I got my back up up a bit, and on the drive home it really bugged me. So I called up a friend that worked for the same company but in a different division.
He stated that they paid well, in this case just over $80,000 annual, but the general manager was a bit of a pr!ck and turnover was higher than normal.
So asking me my age was the deciding factor. It told me a lot about the GM.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)