Automotive

How to fight parking ticket Richmond Hill?

• Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2015 2:19 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 9, 2007
27 posts

How to fight parking ticket Richmond Hill?

Does anyone know if it's possible to fight a parking ticket (fire route). I parked in a fire zone in front of a store, went in for 4 to 5 minutes, come back out and found the ticket. The ticket is $150 because it's a fire route. Bad judgement on my part thinking since I'd be really quick it wouldn't matter. Anyway just wondering if there's any defence worth pursuing?

L.
52 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1157 upvotes
Did you put your hazard lights on?
These folks have taken over RFD, so I'm done here.

Mutu qabla an tamutu
Dec 31, 1969
luv2buy wrote:
Feb 26th, 2008 11:42 pm
Does anyone know if it's possible to fight a parking ticket (fire route). I parked in a fire zone in front of a store, went in for 4 to 5 minutes, come back out and found the ticket. The ticket is $150 because it's a fire route. Bad judgement on my part thinking since I'd be really quick it wouldn't matter. Anyway just wondering if there's any defence worth pursuing?

L.
That sucks but you got caught...ya know. ;)

If you didn't park there for an emergency I can't see the courts being lenient on you. $150, ouch.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
116 upvotes
luv2buy wrote:
Feb 26th, 2008 11:45 pm
No, I didn't have my hazards on.
Too bad, hazards are a get out of jail free card. You parked in a fire lane, pay your ticket and learn your lesson!!
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2002
1027 posts
85 upvotes
go to 255 east beaver creek and pay the bill
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2850 posts
427 upvotes
luv2buy wrote:
Feb 26th, 2008 11:42 pm

L.
Unless you have a very good reason (ie: emergency) it's not even worth fighting because if the car was off and you weren't in the car, you're not likely to win. If parking there for 5 minutes or less was acceptable, as you had seemed to think at the time, the sign would say "Fire Zone - parking max 5 minutes", but it doesn't, does it?! By taking that risk parking in a fire zone, you are taking the risk of getting a ticket, or worse.
ex: photo of car whose driver thought it okay to park next to a hydrant:

I'm glad to see that you now realize it was "bad judgement". Please also consider that that fires are not planned events - they are unpredictable, and thus fire routes are marked as such and for good reason parking is not permitted there at any time for any reason.

Wouldn't it suck to be trapped inside a burning building only to have the firefighters show up on the scene and not be able to get their truck close enough to the fire because a car was blocking their route. And wouldn't it suck if that car was yours? :D
Apr 7, 2007
133 posts
sorry to bump such an old thread but i was searching around through google for the same situation and i ran into this topic.

My situation is somewhat similar but the car was running and there was 2 people in it. I was dropped off in front of a store so i can use the washroom then the driver switched place with me and had gone to the backseat while i was out. The parking officer thought i parked the car in a fire route while no one was present in the drivers seat. They were simply waiting for me to get out for not more than 4 minutes. He gave me a $250 ticket!! :mad:

How do i fight this? Do i have any chance? $250 is a huge ticket!
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1897 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Town of markham takes a picture of the car and area that the car was illegal parked in. Hope town of richmond hill doesn't do that.
Apr 7, 2007
133 posts
Oh, i completely missed the topic title mentioning Richmond Hill. I was actually within Toronto :D

i have never fought any parking tickets before so im not exactly sure how i should proceed with my situation.

i'm not the owner of the vehicle nor was the owner present at the time the ticket was issued. can i attend court in the owner's behalf or would they have to be present? i just dont want to trouble them since they were kind enough to lend me the car.

any kind of advice would be greatly appreciated. i really don't want to pay this $250.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2004
3168 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
ruph wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2009 10:30 pm
I was dropped off in front of a store so i can use the washroom then the driver switched place with me and had gone to the backseat while i was out.
Just tell the judge that you parked there because you want to use the washroom. If the judge didn't buy in then tell him there was a small fire in the washroom so your use of the fire lane is totally legal.

Also call your city counciller to complain. :lol:
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2005
2250 posts
260 upvotes
Turn the ticket over...
2016 Cadillac ATS-V, 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, 2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Premium, 2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6, 2016 Camaro SS, 2007 Cadillac SRX, 2015 Z06
Jan 5, 2004
581 posts
15 upvotes
Laval
I robbed a bank but it was only for 3-4 mins. How do I get out of jail?
Apr 7, 2007
133 posts
the officer sort of sneaked in on them i guess. he stayed in his car while writing the ticket. by the time they saw him, he was already on his way to give the ticket. i told him theres 2 drivers in the car. apparently, he didnt see anyone and walked away.

thanks, i'll check out the site.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
116 upvotes
ruph wrote:
Jan 4th, 2009 9:23 pm
the officer sort of sneaked in on them i guess. he stayed in his car while writing the ticket. by the time they saw him, he was already on his way to give the ticket. i told him theres 2 drivers in the car. apparently, he didnt see anyone and walked away.

thanks, i'll check out the site.
It doesn't matter if there were other drivers in the car; you were parked in a Fire Route. Maybe the other drivers should have kept driving the vehicle until you were ready to be picked up.
× < >