Shopping Discussion

How to find Cheap Car Rental Rates in Your Own City?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2019 11:48 am
[OP]
Nov 12, 2012
496 posts
211 upvotes
Port Moody

How to find Cheap Car Rental Rates in Your Own City?

I'm shopping around for the best car rental rates in Vancouver for a summer road trip and it's really slim pickins. Seems like the airports are the only locations that have enough inventory to make any discount codes come up with a good rate (This includes US locations). Even hotwire and similar sites have bad rates.

I seem to get some decent rates at Abbotsford airport but the reservation is marked that renters must be flying in order to rent. Not sure if that means you have to have out of town ID when you rent? Or show your flight info / boarding pass? Anyone experienced this before in their local city?
9 replies
Jul 28, 2014
146 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Expedia for TD, Amex and Emerald club are my go to's for this situation. Air miles seems to have some decent inventory for non-airport as well.

Another point to consider...this far out, the prices you see are rack rate. You'll probably get better prices closer to your trip date.
Oct 9, 2011
870 posts
374 upvotes
GTA
pokee99 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 1:21 pm
I'm shopping around for the best car rental rates in Vancouver for a summer road trip and it's really slim pickins. Seems like the airports are the only locations that have enough inventory to make any discount codes come up with a good rate (This includes US locations). Even hotwire and similar sites have bad rates.

I seem to get some decent rates at Abbotsford airport but the reservation is marked that renters must be flying in order to rent. Not sure if that means you have to have out of town ID when you rent? Or show your flight info / boarding pass? Anyone experienced this before in their local city?
Rental rates will go up and down and you have a lot of time.

What I do is make a reservation then keep watching it and rebook the cheaper rate when I find one and cancel the previous. Most times I end up paying about 50% less than the first reservation I made. Just make sure it’s not a reservation that requires you to put any money down.
1 x Zoomer Wireless $40.50 loyalty plan - 5 GB of data!
5 x Freedom Mobile plans
Ecobee 3 Lite courtesy of Green On (ie tax payers)
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1040 posts
648 upvotes
Vancouver
I used Discount Car rental for a summer road trip one time and it was a great experience. Decent rate and unlimited kilometres.
[OP]
Nov 12, 2012
496 posts
211 upvotes
Port Moody
Anyone used The Driving Force? I've never heard of them but they popped up on Priceline. Decent rates...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7630 posts
1513 upvotes
They are huge for commercial rental along with enterprise. If you work for or belongs to a professional organization, they may have discount codes that you can use for personal usage as well.

pokee99 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 3:36 am
Anyone used The Driving Force? I've never heard of them but they popped up on Priceline. Decent rates...
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
2078 posts
1021 upvotes
Ottawa
Gee wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 6:50 am
If you’re a member, use Costco. It’s the cheapest.
I just finished a week-long rental. Costco was the cheapest option - it was cheaper than Expedia by about $50. As well, a Costco rental should allow a spouse and an additional person to also drive the vehicle at no extra charge.

As an aside, I was shocked by the extent of the scammery by rental car operators in Google reviews. I was lucky that Alamo was the cheapest and didn't have any scam complaints at the location I used. Someone needs to disrupt this business and clean out the low-lifes.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30571 posts
5064 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Costco was over $100 cheaper for me. Free second driver and unlimited kilometers
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
6697 posts
3716 upvotes
Canada
pokee99 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 3:36 am
They seem to have older cars
Public Mobile, Koodo and Freedom Mobile customer