Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
246 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto

how to find a therapist

I've recently discovered reddit after a rather interesting story in the relationships section was shared on facebook. I actually find it quite fascinating.

I've noticed a common theme in there though, pretty much every advice asking post has a number of people suggesting they get therapy. I'm not sure if this is because therapy is actually effective or just because they cant think of what else to say. My guess would be the latter.

I've actually seen a shrink a few times in my life. I'm in my 30s now, I saw on at 14, one in university around 22, and once in my late 20s. I've always found them quite useless. With the second one at least she was pleasant enough despite my not getting any value out of it, but the other 2 were just irritating.

Now I understand there's different types as well. I've heard of psychiatrist, psychologist, psychotherapist, therapists who do CBT, etc. How does one possibly choose out of these? Well at the moment I dont have health insurance, just OHIP, so if I was to goto one I'd only go to one that's covered, which I believe is psychiatrists. But is that correct or am I misinformed? Either way I think its important to know for future which ones are the most effective. I've heard, though I dont know for sure, that psychiatrists are allowed to prescribe medicine and so that's their specialty; I believe that implied that they're not as skilled at actually solving these issues in your life.

I'd be grateful for your thoughts. If there are any doctor recommendations that'd be great as well. Ideally someone on the subway and available outside of the typical M-F 9-5 when everyone who has a job cant make it!
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
4064 posts
399 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Psychotherapists are generally covered as well because they are usually MDs. Psychologists aren't covered. There are social workers that do therapy with CBT etc... If you want therapy (aka CBT) psychiatrists generally don't do that are they are more into diagnosing and prescribing medication.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12684 posts
1990 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Ask your primary care physician for a referral.
De gustibus non est disputandum
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
246 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
I last posted here in Nov asking about how to find a therapist. I've had *some* luck since then but not much.

I discovered this site for graduate therapists in relational therapy [http://www.tirp-lowcost-therapy.ca/graduate-therapists] who all charge $40/hr. These are all psychotherapists. So that was pretty reasonable. But I'm not finding any real value here in the one I'm seeing. Plus there's no rating system for Psychotherapists it seems, while with Psychiatrists there's sites like ratemds.com, so I'd like to try that out. I just asked my family doctor for a recommendation though and he wasn't willing to do that. Said that in order to give a recommendation one needs to know what the issue is, and if he gives a referral without a legitimate issue it makes him look bad, as the therapist would just push back on him and say did you try xyz. Now with me there's no huge issue like depression or, well whatever other extreme issues exist that would cause someone to need to be medicated. I'm just unhappy with certain parts of my life, career, social, etc and want to see if I can find a solution.

Is there an alternative anyone can recommend?

I should add I'm not working right now and dont have benefits. I suppose you could still give those options that are dependent on benefits and I could look into those in the future. But in the meantime I'd like an solution for now. The good thing about not working is I have some free time so would like to do this stuff now. I find most doctors like to work in the day times during work hours so its pretty hard to meet up with them then.

Thanks!
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12684 posts
1990 upvotes
City of Vancouver
bigdan wrote:
Apr 21st, 2015 5:55 pm
...I'm just unhappy with certain parts of my life, career, social, etc and want to see if I can find a solution.

Is there an alternative anyone can recommend? ...
Life coach.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7774 posts
1384 upvotes
im so sleepy i read the title as "how to find the rapist" lol :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4098 posts
105 upvotes
Tahsis
Psychiatrists will only really do medication. Maybe some small suggestions here and there, but not much else. If you need counselling or CBT or whatever, they'll tell you to go elsewhere (counselor, psychologist, etc) for that.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree, unless there is an underlying issue that makes you predisposed to being unsatisfied. A lot of people are unfulfilled (myself to some extent) but it's not a medical issue in most cases. My issue is that my profession is kind of dead end, and I have 20 years to go. However I'm paid pretty well and have great security and benefits, so I'd be crazy to walk away to seek fulfillment. I'm working on refocusing on my personal life and trying to find my fulfillment there. While a counselor might give you a push in the right direction, a lot of it has to come from you.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
246 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
rommelrommel wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2015 3:35 am
Psychiatrists will only really do medication. Maybe some small suggestions here and there, but not much else. If you need counselling or CBT or whatever, they'll tell you to go elsewhere (counselor, psychologist, etc) for that.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree, unless there is an underlying issue that makes you predisposed to being unsatisfied. A lot of people are unfulfilled (myself to some extent) but it's not a medical issue in most cases. My issue is that my profession is kind of dead end, and I have 20 years to go. However I'm paid pretty well and have great security and benefits, so I'd be crazy to walk away to seek fulfillment. I'm working on refocusing on my personal life and trying to find my fulfillment there. While a counselor might give you a push in the right direction, a lot of it has to come from you.
I wasnt looking for medication. Is that pretty much what a psychiatrist is? I know that's one of the big things they do, but I was always unclear if that's all they do or that's just part of it. Ie is the difference between a psychiatrist and say a psychologist/psychotherapist is just that a psychiatrist is able to provide drugs and they cant? Basically I want to know who has the better training for, well, non-medical issues.

As to your suggestion about it coming from within etc, I respecfully disagree. Well not really, I mean I know I'm the only one responsible for my life etc. But counsellors etc exist for a reason. For example marriage counsellors are recommended when there's problems in a marriage, you dont just tell one person or both to simply work it out. Obviously they both have to be willing, but that's not always enough.

In my life in general there's issues I need to deal with that I simply dont know how to. I dont know who it is I need to speak with to get guidance but I know that I'm living in one of the few countries with free healthcare and it would seem a waste to, well, waste it.
Apr 21, 2015
1 posts
Toronto, ON
Came across your thread while I was doing some research online. This is a topic that's quite meaningful for me, so I thought I would share what I know based on my experiences FWIW.

I operate from the belief that we, as human beings, are complex with a lot of constantly moving parts. There are countless ways and resources that individuals may use to get support and figure out some of the complexities. It's true that different things work for different people. Psychotherapy is just one of these resources and it so happens that it is one that worked and still works for me.

That said, if it's also something that you're trying, the fit you have with a therapist and his/her modality (approach, kind of therapy) is going to be crucial. The training is one thing, but an individual's aptitude isn't going to overcome the quality of training.

The TIRP graduate list is a good one, but there are also others in Toronto. But the Gestalt Institute and The Living Institute also provide student therapy options.

If limited finances is an issue, you can potentially consider one of the programs at CAMH or even another therapist on the list you mentioned. There are also many psychotherapists who provide a sliding scale. It might take some time and work to find someone who can provide a sliding scale with whom you would like to work, but it can also end up being really worth it.

The details of finding therapy is unfortunately an area that can require a bit of navigating, and it's crappy because it's a lot to sort through when someone is struggling and just wanting to get help.

Some psychiatrists DO provide therapy, but it's difficult to find them, get referrals for them and there is often an extended waiting list to see them. It's too bad that your GP won't help you out, but perhaps you can do some research online to find an MD that provides therapy (in which case, you can get in touch with them directly) or find a psychiatrist who provides therapy and try to get the referral from your GP again.

All this said, there was a time I was really struggling and therapy with a psychotherapist really, really helped. I met with a bunch of people before I found a person with whom I felt that fit I mentioned earlier.

Whatever route you decide to explore, best of luck!
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12684 posts
1990 upvotes
City of Vancouver
A free aporoach would be dialectics via the RFD forums!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
5906 posts
4119 upvotes
I agree with you, therapists are useless, especially for normal problems. I think it's kind of absurd that we now think the normal person needs a therapist when he just deals with life issues just like everyone else. A few decades ago no one had "therapists" and people were happied than today.

Therapy is based on subjective, unproven theories. The real reason people use them, and the real reason why most people feel so badly nowadays, is because people lack confidants. In that sense a therapist is like a crutch, someone is paid to listen to your feelings and to provide some form of emotional closeness. But anything fancier than that is rubbish. And it doesn't solve the problem, it is completely artificial and is doomed to be profoundly unsatisfying.

People need real friends and relatives that stand by them and whom they can trust, not "therapy". But it's easier to just say to "see a therapist" than to address real problems that are more uncomfortable and have to do with people's selfishness and superficiality that result in many broken people that are calously cast aside and shut out of anything good in society and any fulfilling social clique. It is easier to use people as scapegoats than to point out the broken families and the clique culture that are the true source of these issues in the first place.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2008
6964 posts
63 upvotes
Ottawa
Poutinesauce wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2015 5:18 pm
Therapy is based on subjective, unproven theories. The real reason people use them, and the real reason why most people feel so badly nowadays, is because people lack confidants. In that sense a therapist is like a crutch, someone is paid to listen to your feelings and to provide some form of emotional closeness. But anything fancier than that is rubbish. And it doesn't solve the problem, it is completely artificial and is doomed to be profoundly unsatisfying.

People need real friends and relatives that stand by them and whom they can trust, not "therapy". But it's easier to just say to "see a therapist" than to address real problems that are more uncomfortable and have to do with people's selfishness and superficiality that result in many broken people that are calously cast aside and shut out of anything good in society and any fulfilling social clique. It is easier to use people as scapegoats than to point out the broken families and the clique culture that are the true source of these issues in the first place.
The concept of therapy and the theories may be subjective, but the point is that you are supposed to get advice or observations and feedback given to you that are objective. This person doesn't owe your friends and family anything. If you talk about how they are treating you like crap, and make excuses for why, the therapist should be telling it to you as it is.

Friends and family aren't great for providing objective feedback. They may just tell you what they think you want to hear, or may go easy on you. Sometimes you need to hear the trust, and they may not want to hurt you, so they avoid telling you. Seeking help from friends and family is important, but they have a vested interest and may be biased. A therapist's job is to be as objective as possible.

They aren't supposed to tell you what to do. They are supposed to ask you tough questions, or get you to ask yourself tough questions and come to the answer and realization yourself. Maybe they will make a suggestion or give you an idea. But they aren't really there to solve all your problems. They are there to guide you so you can solve them yourself.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12684 posts
1990 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Poutinesauce wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2015 5:18 pm
...A few decades ago no one had "therapists"...
Instead of calling u a troll or asking u if u were born yesterday, I will just say that this is factually incorrect.
Nov 11, 2014
6 posts
Brampton, ON
bigdan wrote:
Apr 21st, 2015 5:55 pm
I last posted here in Nov asking about how to find a therapist. I've had *some* luck since then but not much.

I discovered this site for graduate therapists in relational therapy [http://www.tirp-lowcost-therapy.ca/graduate-therapists] who all charge $40/hr. These are all psychotherapists. So that was pretty reasonable. But I'm not finding any real value here in the one I'm seeing. Plus there's no rating system for Psychotherapists it seems, while with Psychiatrists there's sites like ratemds.com, so I'd like to try that out. I just asked my family doctor for a recommendation though and he wasn't willing to do that. Said that in order to give a recommendation one needs to know what the issue is, and if he gives a referral without a legitimate issue it makes him look bad, as the therapist would just push back on him and say did you try xyz. Now with me there's no huge issue like depression or, well whatever other extreme issues exist that would cause someone to need to be medicated. I'm just unhappy with certain parts of my life, career, social, etc and want to see if I can find a solution.

Is there an alternative anyone can recommend?

I should add I'm not working right now and dont have benefits. I suppose you could still give those options that are dependent on benefits and I could look into those in the future. But in the meantime I'd like an solution for now. The good thing about not working is I have some free time so would like to do this stuff now. I find most doctors like to work in the day times during work hours so its pretty hard to meet up with them then.

Thanks!

Hey Bigdan,

Little outdated post since the turn of the decade, but I know that life problems don't just leave for good. Life comes back and knocks you down, unfortunately.

I'm a pharmacist, so to disclose I have no training a Psychiatrist does, I've worked hand on hand with many at mental health units in hospitals. There are other options besides medication, and I would indeed recommend non-pharmacological means of getting help/guidance.

To answer your question for alternatives.
Here are a few that I found by a simple google search:
http://bettertoshare.com/ Free Trial $10/week
https://www.betterhelp.com/ No Free Trial $40-70/week
http://online-therapy.com/ No Free Trial and also pretty pricy

Wish you all the best, mental health problems are far too ignored in our society. Great to see you looking for solutions.