• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2006 12:07 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 1, 2005
55 posts
3 upvotes

how to fish Rj45 from one cable outlet to another

Hi. I am trying to fish a rj45 from a bedroom wall to the living room wall. Both have a cable outlet which I think is being shared, any special equipment or guide wires to run?
8 replies
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
45 upvotes
Kasakato wrote:A fishing cable?

Do you mind elaborating on that for the poster?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
1261 posts
5 upvotes
Actually I'm curious as well, but for me I need to fish cable from one floor to another but my floors are concrete. (stacked condo townhouse)

I emphatically do NOT want wireless as I prefer good old RELIABLE Cat5e cable.

I was thinking maybe the recycling vent or even the conduit for the central vacuum.
FS Items:
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2005
1913 posts
40 upvotes
kmltick wrote:Actually I'm curious as well, but for me I need to fish cable from one floor to another but my floors are concrete. (stacked condo townhouse)

I emphatically do NOT want wireless as I prefer good old RELIABLE Cat5e cable.

I was thinking maybe the recycling vent or even the conduit for the central vacuum.

if you use the conuit for central vac i would suggest protecting the cat5e cable somehow . or else anything u vacum might cut the wire or damage it . is both floors owned by you or are u sharing with a person upstairs if its owned by you u might be lucky and be able to open a exisiting outlet and see a black pvc tube that they run for power\networking .
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
1261 posts
5 upvotes
We're not sharing internet with another unit, the main living room is downstairs (I'd like to set up a Media PC, and my xbox is there)

Upstairs are the bedrooms but the computer(s) will probably be there and the media PC will most likely be downstairs.
FS Items:
May 5, 2005
735 posts
42 upvotes
Halifax
I bought a 50ft Fish tape from princess auto for $8.88 (60% off), I think it may be on sale again this week. haven't tried it yet so not sure how hard it is to use.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
478 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
I pull wire like this for a living.. so I have a million questions for you:

1) Is any of these on an exterior wall? Was your house built within the last 5-8 years? Exterior walls have a plastic vapour barrier and insulation behind the drywall. If you go poking holes in that you are potentially going to cause mould problems in the future. Think this through first.

2) The cable jacks that are there right now, are they in metal boxes? If so, this will make it difficult to feed wire into the box without removing some of the drywall surrounding the box.

3) First floor or second floor? First floor with an unfinished basement is quite easy, you can drill up from the basement into the inside of the wall, or depending on the existing box, down through the wall into the basement. Then use a fish stick to push the cable up.

4) Do the rooms share a wall? Also easy.. you can cut a hole between the walls and feed the cable through that way.

5) Second floor? Ouch.. do you feel comfortable climbing through the attic? You can drill down through the walls top-plate, into the wall and pull/push cable that way.

If you could provide a better description and layout of where the jacks currently are, we can talk further.. Or if you are in the west GTA, feel free to hire me to do it for you :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
6083 posts
727 upvotes
Vancouver
Why not just feed it through the ventilation ducts?