[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
7905 posts
743 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

How to fix paint on license plate?

Hello,

We have some older plates on our car and instead of getting new ones with the same number (expensive) I was thinking of just painting the blue on them again since thats all that is coming off. Is there any special paint I should use or procedures for this?

Thanks
0_o
<_<
>_>
23 replies
Jun 2, 2010
534 posts
61 upvotes
For road use, that may be illegal. I think I read somewhere modifying licence plates is illegal.

The DMV should replace the plates if i remember correctly.

Plus old licence plates are sought after, and can be worth a pretty penny.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
529 upvotes
freerider_4life wrote:
Jun 4th, 2011 7:45 pm
For road use, that may be illegal. I think I read somewhere modifying licence plates is illegal.

could quebec plates be worth a pretty penny too? i got like bunch of them
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3331 posts
547 upvotes
Alberta
Just take the old ones in to a license registry and trade them in for new ones. Replacements are cheap and who cares what the new number is.
Jun 2, 2010
534 posts
61 upvotes
packardbell wrote:
Jun 4th, 2011 7:49 pm
could quebec plates be worth a pretty penny too? i got like bunch of them

It's the antique value. Early licence plates (40's, 50's) are highly sought after by collectors.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2119 posts
230 upvotes
Ancaster
freerider_4life wrote:
Jun 4th, 2011 7:45 pm

That's right...you can't paint them.

It seems like the paint on the new plates is alot thinner/cheaper that it used to be. The paint starts to peel from around the letters, especially on the front plate.

So then, some people will put on a clear plate cover to protect them...but you run the risk of getting a ticket for the plate cover. You can't win these days.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16047 posts
999 upvotes
Woodbridge
^ Definitely.

If you ignore your Plates and let them fade, you may get a ticket.

If you alter/paint them, you may get a ticket.

If you protect them with Plate Covers, you may get a ticket.

I guess MTO wants us to pay for replacement fees.

I have Personalized Plates and some of the letters are chipped/fading. Guess how much MTO wants, $90! Again, I'm in a no win situation because I/we spent $236 and can't even Protect them!

I hate douche bags who pretty much ruined it for us by trying to cheat Tolls/Radars.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
May 18, 2011
111 posts
7 upvotes
ORILLIA
I use synthetic wax on my plates and so far they've held up, even the fronts. Personalised plates at five years old.

Unless you can get a reflective blue paint that matches the original paint, don't mess with it. Even the proper reflective paint is technically illegal, but if you can find some and make it look original, you are unlikely to run into issues.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
7905 posts
743 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
That's so dumb. They should replace them for free or give us a good price since their products can't hold up against the elements in canada.

So it looks like either way I'm screwed if I try to fix the plates since I don't think I can find the blue paint they use.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Banned
Jan 7, 2011
3170 posts
262 upvotes
Here
I brought my rusty license plate into the local dmv here and they gave me a new one for free. But every province has different policies..
Jul 19, 2015
1 posts
1 upvote
CanadaPanda wrote:
Jun 7th, 2011 7:25 pm
Check Section 12.

" (a) defaces or alters any number plate, evidence of validation or permit;"

I don't see enhancing the actual numbers as defacing or altering, but of course a bureaucrat might.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
1661 posts
664 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Alas, an enhancement is an alteration and that makes it an offence.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2493 posts
622 upvotes
Halifax
I know in Nova Scotia, there were some plates that peeled, and the DMV offered to replace them for free. See what your DMV can do for you.