• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2019 5:54 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 5, 2018
42 posts
13 upvotes

How is Freedom Mobile?

I been with Fido for over 10 years, prices are getting too much for me, my first phone company but Freedom looking more attractive right now

I do like to pair my laptop with my data often, scared about good customer service and reception

Any Freedom sharing experience is appreciated!
23 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30431 posts
4995 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
MiNuNDeCoMpUtEr wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 12:30 pm
I been with Fido for over 10 years, prices are getting too much for me, my first phone company but Freedom looking more attractive right now

I do like to pair my laptop with my data often, scared about good customer service and reception

Any Freedom sharing experience is appreciated!
Depends on your location.

For me, it works okay if I am in a Freedom zone and standing still in open space.

I will pay the extra fees to Rogers just so I can use my phone
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
1233 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
Check out Public Mobile, much more reliable and stable service for a similar price point. Though there are differences.

I'd say Freedom sucks in Toronto and the GTA but I've heard if you're out west it's good.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20849 posts
6876 upvotes
Depends on how often you leave the home zone.

If you're always in it, it's not bad. Has a few minor issues, but nothing too bad.
If you do leave the home zone with any sort of frequency, they're terrible.

Since 10GB/$60 seems to be easier to get nowadays, I'd rather pay the extra few bucks and get better coverage.
But I'm always out of the home zone.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13992 posts
2470 upvotes
Toronto
If you are in Toronto, Ontario, currently, Freedom Mobile is the ONLY phone service that works in Toronto's public transit subway system. (this does not include the free wifi, which is good with any carrier)
Great for subway delays (ie stuck in a tunnel) or for long rides if you just want to chat. (or let someone know how close or far away you are)

Unfortunately, that's all I have to recommend about it. Freedom tends to drop calls on the King streetcar, which indeed is annoying.
Feb 4, 2017
30 posts
38 upvotes
Been with Freedom since they were Wind in the GTA with almost no issues, prices are stable and the network is great for what I am paying. If you have your own phone, go with Public Mobile or Lucky Mobile. If you are looking for a phone upgrade then go with Freedom. Based on my experience with several providers please find the ranking below in terms of network quality.

Bell/Telus/Public/Koodo/Lucky/Virgin (tower sharing): 98/100
Rogers/Fido/Chatr: 95/100
Freedom: 85/100
Apr 29, 2018
124 posts
65 upvotes
Freedom is really bad in Downtown Vancouver. Wouldn't be able to use the Mobile Data, even with bars showing. Incoming calls wouldn't ring, until I restart the modem (Airplane Mode), even though it would show network bars. Switched to Zoomer and then to Public Mobile. Both are great.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2003
2258 posts
288 upvotes
Freedom is pretty good if you are in GTA area
I've been using them since last December, and it's been great!
Feb 28, 2012
245 posts
151 upvotes
EDMONTON
MiNuNDeCoMpUtEr wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 12:30 pm

Depends on your location.
User experience to a large degree will be determined by location.
Instead of depending on anecdotal evidence and the opinion of others, try it and see for yourself.
You can cancel within 15 days for a full refund (device in as-new condition).

If Freedom works for you, it's hard to beat the value on data.

Freedom allows continued access to data beyond plan quota, at throttled but still usable speeds without overage charges, while within the home network. Compare that to RBT's $100/GB. In store activations apparently still have the bonus 3GB data promo available, ask the rep about it. https://old.reddit.com/r/freedommobile/ ... o/ekwn9zj/

Freedom will often have clear-out pricing on last year's flagships, the LG G7 is currently available for $0 + $6/mo. To take advantage of device discount pricing, you must be prepared to see out the 24-month commitment, hence the importance of the no-obligation 15-day trial period.

If you're in Western Canada, Freedom-only access to Shaw's widely distributed Passpoint WiFi is a big advantage, especially for laptop tethering on-the-go. The VoLTE and WiFi Calling are other benefits not available on the discount flankers. Unlike the incumbents, Freedom's WiFi Calling is fully functional outside Canada.

Freedom upgrades the network continuously, and just won significant new 600MHz spectrum across BC/AB/ON in the recent auction.
Last edited by pjw918 on Apr 15th, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
VoIP offers flexibility, economy, carrier independence
VoIP.ms / CSipSimple / VoIP.ms SMS / Groundwire
TCP for reliable mobile VoIP, low battery impact
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16523 posts
3574 upvotes
Toronto
Hmmm... Judging by the reports, it seems Freedom is still quite problematic, although not as bad as the Wind days.

Maybe by the time my kids need cell service in a few years, Freedom will be better.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16523 posts
3574 upvotes
Toronto
pjw918 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 11:34 am
Nothing like bias and ancecdote to bias perception.

Direct reports of current user experience, with specifics, are helpful.
All the rest is just noise.
Indeed.

Judging by the reports by current users, it seems Freedom is still quite problematic, although not as bad as the Wind days.
Feb 28, 2012
245 posts
151 upvotes
EDMONTON
EugW wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 11:51 am
Indeed.

Judging by the reports by current users, it seems Freedom is still quite problematic, although not as bad as the Wind days.
Okay.. As a current Freedom user in Edmonton, usage principally in the downtown area and southside, I find Freedom more than reliable, the data fast and ample. I make good use of the Shaw Passpoint access. To trial the new FUP, just yesterday I completed a bill cycle having fully used my 10GB allotment, plus another 2.2GB over-quota at the throttled speed of 256kbps, used primarily for 128-192 AAC music streams and SQ Netflix, with $0 in overage charges.
I've active SIMs on 3 networks. At home Freedom's signal is stronger than either the Telus or Rogers networks, and there's nowhere in my typical usage areas that Freedom's signal is inadequate..
Last edited by pjw918 on Apr 15th, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16523 posts
3574 upvotes
Toronto
pjw918 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 12:01 pm
Okay.. As a current Freedom user in Edmonton, usage principally in the downtown area and southside, I find Freedom more than relable, the data fast and ample. I make good use of the Shaw Passpoint access. To trial the new FUP, just yesterday I completed a bill cycle having fully used my 10GB allotment, plus another 2.2GB over-quota at the throttled speed of 256kbps, used primarily for 128-192 AAC music streams and SQ Netflix, with $0 in overage charges.
I've active SIMs on 3 networks. At home Freedom's signal is stronger than either the Telus or Rogers networks, and there's no where in my usage area that Freedom is inadequate.
I'm in Toronto, as indicated in my user description. Several reports just in thread alone are from the GTA.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16523 posts
3574 upvotes
Toronto
pjw918 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 12:32 pm
Which other current user reports in this thread were you referencing?

I'm not trying to be argumentative. My point was that prospective users should make their own decision, informed by actual experience in their typical usage areas, ideally taking advantage of the 15-day no-risk trial.

While not incumbent-grade, Freedom's network is improving by leaps and bounds, as reported by current users. Here in Edmonton there was a marked improvement last fall. The band 13 rollout is making a difference, network-wide.
Selective quoting.

From the very same post as your first quote:
Unfortunately, that's all I have to recommend about it. Freedom tends to drop calls on the King streetcar, which indeed is annoying.
For the record, the King streetcar runs right downtown and adjacent central Toronto areas, so it's not as if it's out in the middle of nowhere or something.

Plus, you left out this quote:
WMPCOT wrote:
Apr 12th, 2019 2:44 pm
I'd say Freedom sucks in Toronto and the GTA but I've heard if you're out west it's good.
Feb 28, 2012
245 posts
151 upvotes
EDMONTON
The quotes from my deleted post, for context.
playnicee1 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 7:36 am
If you are in Toronto, Ontario, currently, Freedom Mobile is the ONLY phone service that works in Toronto's public transit subway system...
Zoughi1 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 11:06 pm
Been with Freedom since they were Wind in the GTA with almost no issues, prices are stable and the network is great for what I am paying.
johnmoon wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 7:20 am
Freedom is pretty good if you are in GTA area
I've been using them since last December, and it's been great!
EugW wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 11:51 am
I'm done.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. My point was that prospective users should make their own decision, informed by actual experience in their typical usage areas, ideally taking advantage of the 15-day no-risk trial.
Last edited by pjw918 on Apr 15th, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.