• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2012 2:07 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 6, 2007
310 posts
20 upvotes

how to get ATSC tuner stand-alone in Canada

I have a sony HD projector and need ATSC tuner. The only thing I find is the crappy analog converter.

I wouldn't mind buying a usb tv tuner if I can find a cheap Media player to plug it in ( I don't have any computer to use as HTPC) . I know about the Boxee+Live TV but it would be very expensive and seems like the manufacturer is giving up on this model
15 replies
Apr 21, 2010
75 posts
15 upvotes
Gatineau
the only available, stand-alone atsc tuner that i am aware of would be the silicon dust's _hdhomerun dual_ unit.
when on sale (79cad with free shipping @ newegg.ca, last time it happened), it is the best deal for the functionality you're purchasing.
the only catch: it is a lan-based unit, which means you need some form of computing platform to run a client for the hdhomerun.

...and for that, the raspberrypi could do the trick.
if the raspberry pi foundation could find a way to release a firmware update unlocking the already-present mpeg2 decoding capabilities (it is de-activated, as they did not pay the license to activate it), you could load openelec on your pi, connect it to your telly and voilà!
(mpeg-2 decoding, plus cooling of the unit are active discussions in the 'pi community)
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Do it separately:
1. HD ATSC (OTA is max 720p/1080i anyway)
http://overtheair.saveandreplay.com/win ... _tuner.asp , check availability of other HD models, and also pricing at computer stores.

2. Refurb WDTVlive, or refurb/used ATV2 and JB, or $100 Xios DS... the latter two if you want XBMC (look up 1channel plugin ;-) ). You may be limited by your projector's inputs/media player outputs.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
It would be a shame not to feed your HD projector with the HD OTA feed, assuming you need an ATSC tuner because you have an OTA setup.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
chaoslord wrote: I have a sony HD projector and need ATSC tuner. The only thing I find is the crappy analog converter.

I wouldn't mind buying a usb tv tuner if I can find a cheap Media player to plug it in ( I don't have any computer to use as HTPC) . I know about the Boxee+Live TV but it would be very expensive and seems like the manufacturer is giving up on this model
This does not work anyways.

audit13's suggestion is the best if you can still get a hold of one of them cheap HD ATSC box.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
ppl4golf wrote: This does not work anyways.

audit13's suggestion is the best if you can still get a hold of one of them cheap HD ATSC box.
I didn't even check his link. Stock showing in some stores. Great price!
Jan 6, 2007
310 posts
20 upvotes
thanx for the replies, the digiwave tuner seems to be what I'm looking for, unfortunately I'm in Montreal. I'll try to see if my local Canada Computers store can have one shipped from Ontario.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2007
1860 posts
890 upvotes
I'm in the same boat looking for a ATSC Tuner for my LCD Monitor that I had been with a Rogers HD PVR. I dislike cable, but still need it for live sports which is all I watch on TV.
Jan 6, 2007
310 posts
20 upvotes
prices don't make sense. the cheapest digital tv is a Insignia 19 inch with ATSC tuner for 99$. How come these tuners are so expensive?
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1617 upvotes
North York
chaoslord wrote: prices don't make sense. the cheapest digital tv is a Insignia 19 inch with ATSC tuner for 99$. How come these tuners are so expensive?
the cheapest one on that page is 69.99 well below the insignia one.
also the other ones offer more features then the basic insignia.
hardware is also better in these ones as well some of them even having dual tuners and ethernet for internet or lan streaming.
i doubt for 99 bucks any other tuner will have even one of those features.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
8554 posts
5570 upvotes
Trudostan
chaoslord wrote: prices don't make sense. the cheapest digital tv is a Insignia 19 inch with ATSC tuner for 99$. How come these tuners are so expensive?
Because we live in Canada and get hosed on pricing. Many of these units aren't that amazing either, and you'd often be better off just buying a new TV if you don't want to involve a computer with a ATSC tuner
SAMSUNG SUCKS! NO SSD WARRANTY IN CANADA > https://forums.redflagdeals.com/has-any ... d-2098075/
Jan 6, 2007
310 posts
20 upvotes
infamouskid wrote: the cheapest one on that page is 69.99 well below the insignia one.
also the other ones offer more features then the basic insignia.
hardware is also better in these ones as well some of them even having dual tuners and ethernet for internet or lan streaming.
i doubt for 99 bucks any other tuner will have even one of those features.
the one at 69.99 seems to be a converter and the only outpout is RCA !!!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
The other option is buy a dvd recorder that has a digital tuner. I know there's a couple of Panasonic models that have them.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2011
1073 posts
528 upvotes
Toronto
Before I moved to a condo, I had an antenna on my roof and received OTA HD signal to my digital projector. It was fantastic. Back then I had purchased a Samsung DTBH260F HDTV tuner which did the job perfectly. I had to order it from a big electronics store in NYC (I checked, but they don't carry it anymore).

Here's a link with a description and there is another link on the page that connects you to some Amazon resellers. Hopefully, they ship to Canada.

http://www.ezdigitaltv.com/Samsung_DTBH260F.html

BTW, I hooked a Bell Expressvu receiver to my projector, and over the air just blows it away. Satellite and cable are compressed, so the flaws are really evident on a 100" projection.