Careers

How to get connected with headhunter/recruiters?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2018 6:47 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 30, 2010
224 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto

How to get connected with headhunter/recruiters?

Does anyone know how to connect with local headhunters/recruiters? Currently looking to switch jobs and I've had ok experiences with them so far in past jobs, actually got my current (permanent) job thanks to a recruiter. I'm confused about simply registering on their website and upload resume (which probably does nothing), vs actually having someone managing my profile and actively looking for me. I've registered with a couple of agencies previously but don't really know when "I'm on my own", or when someone's actually actively helping me. Sometimes I didn't even register with the agency, and they call me and tell me they found a job match and want to set up an interview. Was I just lucky or is there any trick to get that to happen more often? I'm actively looking myself as well, this is just to help speed it up.
12 replies
Dec 28, 2017
59 posts
17 upvotes
I wouldn't recommend connecting with recruiters.
If you know the field you are looking .. just log on to company websites and find jobs that way.

I set up multiple workopolos, linkedin, and indeed auto alerts and it helped me to find the past 3 jobs.

Recruiters will connect you to employers if they are certain they like you... those jobs are generally the same level job you are currently working... but.. if thats the case. .. it's pretty easy to find the same job
Jul 18, 2015
241 posts
50 upvotes
Petawawa, ON
There are some companies that will only hire by going through a 3rd party, such as an agency or a head hunter.
I'd give it a shot and see how it goes.

If you already have a FT job, what do you have to lose?
[OP]
Oct 30, 2010
224 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
ayufan wrote:
Aug 5th, 2018 11:03 pm
If you know the field you are looking .. just log on to company websites and find jobs that way.

I set up multiple workopolos, linkedin, and indeed auto alerts and it helped me to find the past 3 jobs.

Recruiters will connect you to employers if they are certain they like you... those jobs are generally the same level job you are currently working... but.. if thats the case. .. it's pretty easy to find the same job
I know what I'm looking for but like 3rd poster said, recruiters have much better network than me and have visibility to a lot of jobs not posted on job boards that they receive directly from hiring companies. This is excellent for speeding up the job search.
canny19 wrote:
Aug 5th, 2018 11:09 pm
There are some companies that will only hire by going through a 3rd party, such as an agency or a head hunter.
I'd give it a shot and see how it goes.

If you already have a FT job, what do you have to lose?
Lol I know there's nothing to lose, I was wondering how to actually connect to them and have someone actively helping me look at the same time.

I've actually tried calling into these recruiting agencies and told them I uploaded my resume and if someone can be assigned to my profile, and just got told "if there's a match we'll contact you", which is the expected no-answer answer. Obviously they won't have thousands of recruiters to help the 100k job seekers, but what are some things to do to get them to notice me? Connect via LinkedIn? That's the only method I know of.
Feb 7, 2018
138 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto ON
True, some companies (the banks for example) would only hire trough staffing agencies. Others would hunt down employees directly. Third would do both. No idea where you're heading at. But for banks, you have no choice.

I already answered a similar question like 1-2 weeks ago here. Search for it. But there is no such thing "someone is actively helping me". For a recruiter you're not a VIP.

General rules:
1) Upload your resume to few places to make yourself findable. I would say Indeed. If you're looking for an IT/financial/science job, LinkedIn too. No idea how it will work for other fields.
2) Don't contact them further. And they won't "actively help you". For them, you are just one record in the database - name and keywords. Nothing more or less. They will contact you, IF they need you.
3) Most important thing are the keywords - you match with what's now hot for them - they will burn your phone to get you.

That's it. Review well your resume, edit as much as possible to polish it. Decide where you're heading at and put matching keywords. Google and the other search engines will do the rest for you.

PS: Okay, little correction - there _is_ actually somebody actively helping you - and this guy is Google. So be sure you know how to communicate with the guy.

Everybody nowadays land jobs with recruiters, being from staffing agencies or corporate recruiters from the company looking to hire. Personally when I am on a hunt, I spend everyday like 2hrs or less reading posts, but answering usually to only like 2-3 per day or less. Most of the job is done however by Google/LinkedIn, since I get calls and emails when something's hot. And don't underestimate the staffing agencies databases - even now I still get calls/emails from agencies where I posted resume like 3-4 y ago, but they didn't deleted me from the database (usually most claim will delete you after 1y of inactivity, but the calls I get point otherwise). Sure, they have heavily outdated information and they are too busy to just look me up on LinkedIn to check what I am up to, but still - I get their calls.

Moral of the story - be active! But also put worms here and there, you never know what fish will bite.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
1114 posts
279 upvotes
They have their own websites and job posted on there. You can apply directly there or post your resume on job sites (i.e indeed, monster). If you have what they need they'll call you.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
1114 posts
279 upvotes
ayufan wrote:
Aug 5th, 2018 11:03 pm

It's good to go thru recruiter but I don't recommend the one that take a cut from your pay check indefinitely. The one that charge a one time fee from the employer is ok.
Jul 29, 2018
9 posts
xpressmerchant wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 8:30 am
It's good to go thru recruiter but I don't recommend the one that take a cut from your pay check indefinitely. The one that charge a one time fee from the employer is ok.
If they do take a cut, how to negotiate for it? Can I ask for pay raise once the probation/training is done?

I am in advanced stages with a recruiting agency and it seems like they're only offering me up to the company just because I kinda sorta made it sound like I come cheap (some interview questions threw me off my game). It's a 1 year contract but I'd be paid by the recruiting agency located 200km+ away from the company/site.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
1114 posts
279 upvotes
noobification wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 9:50 pm
If they do take a cut, how to negotiate for it? Can I ask for pay raise once the probation/training is done?

I am in advanced stages with a recruiting agency and it seems like they're only offering me up to the company just because I kinda sorta made it sound like I come cheap (some interview questions threw me off my game). It's a 1 year contract but I'd be paid by the recruiting agency located 200km+ away from the company/site.
You should negotiate now . Tell them you want a certain amount otherwise say no. The company payout a certain amount and if you negotiate with the agency it just mean that they will get a smaller cut. If you are getting hired on as a contractor then they would love to keep you there since they are milking you. I would never accept a job with an agency this way (unless you're really desperate) since you are getting exploited twice. I would go for a full time job or working with the company directly as a contractor not thru the agency. Pay raise? It can happen but then the company can decide not to renew your contract or terminate early then you're screwed. I would rather get what I can now.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
12251 posts
1042 upvotes
Mississauga
xpressmerchant wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 8:30 am
No one cuts your salary, it comes out of cost of acquisition budget. For senior positions, it's rarely direct.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
4418 posts
687 upvotes
Toronto
i'm going thru 4-5 recruiters at the moment but i was thinking, wouldn't it be cheaper for the company to NOT use recruiters? Recruiters charges a fee which doesn't really benefit the employers, only the job seekers. If the resume looks good, why not just contact the applicant for the interview? Not much difference between using a recruiter to hiring directly.
Jul 29, 2018
9 posts
yesstyle wrote:
Aug 13th, 2018 2:22 pm
i'm going thru 4-5 recruiters at the moment but i was thinking, wouldn't it be cheaper for the company to NOT use recruiters? Recruiters charges a fee which doesn't really benefit the employers, only the job seekers. If the resume looks good, why not just contact the applicant for the interview? Not much difference between using a recruiter to hiring directly.
Exactly! Having a recruiter makes sense for some positions when the company doesn't want to openly advertise. But this is absolutely ridiculous at lower levels.

Why are recruiters and HR people so valued? They can't even write a good job description.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)