Personal Finance

how to get a credit card with US billing address?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2009 4:38 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 6, 2004
166 posts

how to get a credit card with US billing address?

does anyone have a credit card with a US billing address? there are a couple online stores I would like to buy from, but unfortunately they do not accept ccs with a Canadian address. Could I open a po box in the states or something and get a cc based on that address? has anyone does this before?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
1785 posts
68 upvotes
master_wa wrote:
May 13th, 2008 5:05 am
does anyone have a credit card with a US billing address? there are a couple online stores I would like to buy from, but unfortunately they do not accept ccs with a Canadian address. Could I open a po box in the states or something and get a cc based on that address? has anyone does this before?
What I did was open a BMO USD CreditCard and then called them and switch my address to CBIUSA (niagara fall warehouse). Make sure you opt out of mailing statement and have email statement instead. Once you are done, you can switch back your address to your CND.
Nov 1, 2005
430 posts
12 upvotes
I got a US paypal account based on my US PO Box address. With this you can get a US Mastercard (debit card) that'll pass the Address Verification System. Visa and M/C just started to charge more for "non-conforming" transactions, meaning all cards that are issued to canada will be charged a higher discount rate at the merchant level. Meaning even if you change the address on a CDN based card they may not accept it.

You can also go to pretty much any US bank and open an account and they'll give you a Visa or M/C debit card.
May 9, 2002
253 posts
26 upvotes
Call the online merchant - most will accept a canadian cc over the phone as long as you provide a US shipping address. You have to call your cc company and add your US address as a valid and acceptable billing/shipping address on your account.

I've done this for 2 cc's so far and it has not been a problem when I called the merchant - on rare occasions they ask you to fax them additional info like photocopies of your drivers license + actual cc with signature.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
2732 posts
1 upvote
Ontario, CANADA
what about a US CC with a US billing address that is NOT a check card. How do us Canadians get these?
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18501 posts
930 upvotes
help_questions wrote:
May 16th, 2008 2:53 am
what about a US CC with a US billing address that is NOT a check card. How do us Canadians get these?
Drive across the border to the nearest Target. Go to customer service and apply for the Target RedCard Visa (the credit card, *NOT* the same debit card!). They will issue these t5o Canadians without SSN by doing a check with your SSI. The billing address right now though will be whatever is in your credit file (your Canadian address). Make some minor purchase with the card at the store to activate it and ensure it works.

Now, go back home, call them, and tell them you want to change the billing address to your US address.

The trick is coming up with a way to pay the card off without driving back across the border. For this purpose I also opened an account at a US bank, and a US Paypal account. To transfer money from CDN to US I just pyapal it to myself then withdraw. If you are an RBC customer you could open an RBC Centura account which will make the banking simpler.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Apr 6, 2005
13 posts
Hello

Looking into setting up a similar setup.

I need to setup a US paypal account with a US address credit card to be a verified Paypal account.

I will be using my forwarding US based address - Niagara Falls, NY

How does one signup register a US credit card without physical visiting the US

Any further suggestions/Tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jul 13, 2007
334 posts
Toronto
alexo_121 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2008 9:06 pm
Only way possible that I've heard about is to get a Canadian AMEX, and then do a "global transfer" (do a search on the forum) to an American-based AMEX.
Jul 15, 2003
515 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
HammerRFDer wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2008 9:51 pm
Only way possible that I've heard about is to get a Canadian AMEX, and then do a "global transfer" (do a search on the forum) to an American-based AMEX.
I just did this, and I don't think it will work. They wanted proof of my address in the States.
Jan 13, 2002
269 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
alexo_121 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2008 9:06 pm
Hello

Looking into setting up a similar setup.

I need to setup a US paypal account with a US address credit card to be a verified Paypal account.

I will be using my forwarding US based address - Niagara Falls, NY

Any further suggestions/Tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Apply for a Nordstrom Visa Card-I did it over the phone. Credit card arrived in 1 week.
Jul 13, 2007
334 posts
Toronto
fredder wrote:
Aug 26th, 2008 1:04 am
Apply for a Nordstrom Visa Card-I did it over the phone. Credit card arrived in 1 week.
Did you tell that them that you lived in the USA, or that you were a Canadian with a US Billing Address? I take it you don't have a US SSN/ITIN?

Just curious about how to do the same sort of thing myself.
Jan 13, 2002
269 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
HammerRFDer wrote:
Aug 26th, 2008 2:08 am
Did you tell that them that you lived in the USA, or that you were a Canadian with a US Billing Address? I take it you don't have a US SSN/ITIN?

Just curious about how to do the same sort of thing myself.
I gave them my Canadian address and my Canadian SIN and Ontario driver's license number. Approval took ~2 min over the phone.
Sep 14, 2003
977 posts
1 upvote
I applied for a Nordstrom Visa earlier this week by phone. Easy process.

Got an alert by Transunion about a credit check the day after.
Sep 11, 2009
1 posts
Victoria
Fredder and Bembem I just called Nordstrom and applied over the phone for their visa card. They would let me get a store care but NOT a visa. They said to get the VISA I needed to have a US SSN as well as a US address. :(
× < >