• Oct 16th, 2017 9:20 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12894 posts
1639 upvotes
Toronto

How to get faster Internet speeds on my older PC

I ran a Rogers speed test  on my faster PC (Intel Core i7-2670QM @ 2.20GHz) and able to get 945 Mbps on the Rogers Gigabit service.  On my older PC (Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.50GHz with 4 GB ram and 256 GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD), I can't seem to get back 645 Mbps.  I tried to do a file transfer between systems and can get around 121 MBps to 125 MBps so I know the network card can handle gigabit. 

I also removed the Antivirus and using Windows Defender so I know nothing else Is the bottleneck. I know that 645 Mbps is decent speed but would like to get the max speed from the Internet connection if possible.

Any suggestions?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
1496 posts
3537 upvotes
How is the setup between two machines are they identical?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12894 posts
1639 upvotes
Toronto
markopas wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 10:33 am
How is the setup between two machines are they identical?
Different hardware, same OS with the older machine having a faster SSD. I suspect it could come down to the processor as the laptop i7 is quite a bit faster. I am just confused why transferring between PC's can achieve 1 GB speeds but not on a speedtest. If I was off a little, I would not care.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12894 posts
1639 upvotes
Toronto
willy wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 11:42 am
I believe the CPU is the bottleneck ... To verify, is the CPU maxed out during the speed test ?
I just checked and the CPU does hit around 88% at the time. Interesting that the Ethernet speed in the Performance tab shows over 800 Mbps yet the speedtest only shows in the 640 Mb range. On my faster PC, the cpu does not exceed 40% and the Ethernet speed in the Performance tab shows 990 Mbps and Rogers shows 943 Mbps.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2655 upvotes
ON
If you can find a server that can supply you gigabit, try a download from each.
It could just be the speedtest app is not working optimally on the other computer (and thus the huge CPU usage as well).
As you said, it seems your computer is capable of transferring at the full gigabit internally. Externally shouldn't be any different as far as your computer is concerned - network transfer is network transfer.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10100 posts
3876 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
You also have to look at the current state of your OS. While you might be running the 'same OS', things are installed and uninstalled at different times may effect how 'smoothly' your OS runs. The only true test would be to do a fresh install of the OS on both boxes, updated all drivers, patches, and firmware and then run the speed test.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
1496 posts
3537 upvotes
Are both machines sitting side by side connected to the same hub?
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1674 posts
917 upvotes
I suspect you're running into performance limitations of the JavaScript client that probably is doing the downloading for a so-called "speedtest". In that, such is pegging out the CPU.

You might want to adjust the performance settings to "High Performance" (if you're using Windows) to ensure that the CPU is not being downclocked. The particular CPU part you quote (still a very powerful CPU, BTW) is actually for a laptop or mobile application, so typically laptop users will have their settings set to 'balanced' or even "power saver".
Mar 26, 2008
326 posts
75 upvotes
are both using wifi or cable? also, try downloading an identical larger file on both machines, which might be a better (real world) test.