None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2170 posts
454 upvotes
Toronto

How to get free satellite TV?

To my awareness (unless something changed in the last few years), it's legal to get FTA channels in Canada via satellite. Anybody has any suggestions on how to get around getting it? I don't mind to pay <$200 to set it up, including the cost of the satellite itself. I'm a complete noob in this area, so looking for some advice on what needs to be done - how to pick a dish (any specific suggestions on the model?), how to configure it, and if I'll need to get anybody else involved to point the dish in the right direction. I consider myself to be pretty technically-proficient, unless some real complicated things need to be done.

I don't have any specific preferences as to what I'm planning to watch (I expect it'll be some sports, news, and maybe sitcoms). I'm currently getting about 10 HD channels with my antenna, but would like to see whether it's possible to expand that number. TV is not something I'm willing to pay for on a monthly basis, no matter how little it is, so I don't care about any promotional packages (less reg-priced) from any providers.

I'm in GTA, if that matters.

Thanks.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
81 upvotes
In my experience, satellite is more trouble than it's worth. It gets hit and needs so much babysitting that a decent HTPC will blow it out of the water.
vero95 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 11:42 am
LOL what does project management have to do with project being over budget?
vero95 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2013 12:34 pm
$5c for a plastic bag >= $30 for a jug of milk
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2170 posts
454 upvotes
Toronto
flashy_mcflash wrote:
Mar 8th, 2012 3:51 pm
In my experience, satellite is more trouble than it's worth. It gets hit and needs so much babysitting that a decent HTPC will blow it out of the water.

Thanks. I assume you're talking about the pirated channels, and I'm only looking to get FTA, which (correct me if I'm wrong) don't get hit, and aren't even encrypted in the first place.
Feb 10, 2007
538 posts
37 upvotes
Oakville
Negotiator wrote:
Mar 8th, 2012 3:42 pm
To my awareness (unless something changed in the last few years), it's legal to get FTA channels in Canada via satellite. Anybody has any suggestions on how to get around getting it? I don't mind to pay <$200 to set it up, including the cost of the satellite itself. I'm a complete noob in this area, so looking for some advice on what needs to be done - how to pick a dish (any specific suggestions on the model?), how to configure it, and if I'll need to get anybody else involved to point the dish in the right direction. I consider myself to be pretty technically-proficient, unless some real complicated things need to be done.

I don't have any specific preferences as to what I'm planning to watch (I expect it'll be some sports, news, and maybe sitcoms). I'm currently getting about 10 HD channels with my antenna, but would like to see whether it's possible to expand that number. TV is not something I'm willing to pay for on a monthly basis, no matter how little it is, so I don't care about any promotional packages (less reg-priced) from any providers.

I'm in GTA, if that matters.

Thanks.
It is certainly legal to receive unencrypted (i.e. FTA) channels on C or Ku band satellite. For HD channels on Ku-band, you need at least a 36 inch dish and for C-band as well, a 48 inch or larger dish is required. This is an excellent way to complement your existing OTA system and increase your lineup of free channels. Available channels on both C and Ku band FTA satellite are listed at http://channels.drsat.ca/cfm/drsat/chan ... sourceid=6

Unless you are only interested in specific channels which are all from the same satellite, a motorized dish is highly recommended in order to receive all available satellites in your area.
Feb 10, 2007
538 posts
37 upvotes
Oakville
anoopi wrote:
Mar 9th, 2012 6:08 pm
Hey Pwrsurge, or anyone else that can answer my question. How do I get these free channels on the above channels.drsat.ca website.

You need the following components which can be either installed yourself or hire someone like us to do it for you:

- A relatively clear view of the southern sky as satellite signals will NOT pass through any obstacles such as buildings or trees.

- Satellite dish large enough to receive the channels you want along with the appropriate LNBF (i.e. eye on dish arm).
* For all Ku-band channels listed, an 85 cm or larger dish is required.
* For all Ku-band and C-band channels on 91W, 99W, 107.3W (except CBC) and 118.8W, a 1.2 meter or larger dish is required
* For all Ku-band and 90%+ C-band channels, a 1.8 meter or larger dish is required
* For all Ku-band and C-band channels, a 2.4 meter or larger dish is required

- Dish motor in order to receive all available satellites in your area. If you are only interested in channels on a specific satellite, you may install a fixed dish with no motor instead. The dish motor is installed between the dish and mount and will automatically aim the satellite dish to the correct position when selecting a channel located on a different satellite with the receiver assuming the dish was correctly aligned when installed.

- Receiver that supports the channels you wish to receive. For a new system, we strongly recommend an HD receiver that supports DVB-S2, even if you don't have or want to view HD channels as more and more channels are migrating from DVB-S to DVB-S2 format. The Openbox brand of entry level HD PVR receivers are cheap enough that cost should not be an issue.

Hope that answers most of your questions but feel free to post here if you have any other ones and I will answer them as soon as I can.