Freebies

How to get free US magazine subscriptions - in Canada!

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2016 3:05 pm
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12430 posts
4029 upvotes
Oakville
IDStorms wrote:
Feb 17th, 2016 1:50 pm
You have to enter your Postal Code in the same place where your Zip Code is already in.
abolfazl wrote:
Feb 17th, 2016 1:58 pm
thanks that worked. :P
Yeah, whoever did these sites (it's the same site for a bunch of magazines) needs a smack. Display a postal code field, but then don't accept postal code in that field. Smart!
Mar 27, 2013
298 posts
10 upvotes
GTA
Hi - I signed up almost 2 months ago for some free magazines. I am finally able to log into Hearst customer service. All my magazines are listed there. I changed the zip code to my postal code.

How long does it take approx. before I get my first issue (in Canada).

Also, I went to tradepub.freebizmag.co and signed up for another free magazine, I entered my US address and it brought me to a screen where I have to choose other magazines which are about $2.00 for 12 issues. I'd like to check off several, but is it safe to use my credit card?

My name on my credit card is not the same as the one that I signed up with.

Thanks for your help, this is all new to me.
I don't support or respond to forum bullying.
It takes more effort to be sarcastic than polite!
Mar 27, 2013
298 posts
10 upvotes
GTA
pathfinder35 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2016 1:43 pm
You need to use a different USA address when subscribing thru Recyclebank and then change that sub at the publisher's website to your desired USA address.
In your case they know that you have moved from your USA address to your Canadian address and their system is automatically doing the address change, so you need to use a different USA address initially.

Publishers such as Hearst use one account number for all mags you subscribe to with the same address. If you change your address to one, all of the mags addressess are changed.
Also, If you submit a new sub request with the USA address that they have already processed an address change for, they will proactively change that address to your new Canadian address, since they already know/have previously processed your 'move'/address change.

It can be confusing - it helps to record what addresses you use for the different mags.

Publishers Conde Nast and Time are similar in practice to Hearst.
Hi - just to clarify, if I find and subscribe to more free magazines through Hearst, I just use the same US address that I did originally, and it will get redirected to my Canadian address. I was just able to log in and I changed my address to Canadian.

Won't they get confused?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
1847 posts
316 upvotes
abuela wrote:
Feb 27th, 2016 2:40 pm
Hi - I signed up almost 2 months ago for some free magazines. I am finally able to log into Hearst customer service. All my magazines are listed there. I changed the zip code to my postal code.

How long does it take approx. before I get my first issue (in Canada).

Also, I went to tradepub.freebizmag.co and signed up for another free magazine, I entered my US address and it brought me to a screen where I have to choose other magazines which are about $2.00 for 12 issues. I'd like to check off several, but is it safe to use my credit card?

My name on my credit card is not the same as the one that I signed up with.

Thanks for your help, this is all new to me.
It literally takes 6-8 weeks for most monthly magazines after you change your address. So be patient. Regarding those $2 mags, be very careful as they auto-renew for the regular price. You MUST cancel the auto renewal. I personally would stay away. Most of them can be had free or for $4-10 at DiscountMags.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
5074 posts
8955 upvotes
Comox Valley, BC
abuela wrote:
Feb 27th, 2016 2:51 pm
Hi - just to clarify, if I find and subscribe to more free magazines through Hearst, I just use the same US address that I did originally, and it will get redirected to my Canadian address. I was just able to log in and I changed my address to Canadian.

Won't they get confused?
If you reuse the same Usa address, it may auto-change to Canada or it may change all mag subs to the USA address.
Mar 27, 2013
298 posts
10 upvotes
GTA
Thrasher wrote:
Feb 27th, 2016 5:57 pm
It literally takes 6-8 weeks for most monthly magazines after you change your address. So be patient. Regarding those $2 mags, be very careful as they auto-renew for the regular price. You MUST cancel the auto renewal. I personally would stay away. Most of them can be had free or for $4-10 at DiscountMags.
Thanks!
Mar 27, 2013
298 posts
10 upvotes
GTA
pathfinder35 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2016 5:34 am
If you reuse the same Usa address, it may auto-change to Canada or it may change all mag subs to the USA address.
So would it be best to use a different US address then?
Mar 27, 2013
298 posts
10 upvotes
GTA
pathfinder35 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2016 1:45 am
I think so - that's what I do...
Thanks again!
Oct 9, 2004
925 posts
140 upvotes
Mississauga
For GQ, how long does it usually take before US address shows up on their system?

I got my subscription in January, and system is unable to find the account. I have been trying on the GQ address change site and unsuccessful.
Phone: Koodo LG G3
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
5074 posts
8955 upvotes
Comox Valley, BC
RestIsHistory wrote:
Apr 7th, 2016 10:30 am
For GQ, how long does it usually take before US address shows up on their system?

I got my subscription in January, and system is unable to find the account. I have been trying on the GQ address change site and unsuccessful.
It depends on which freebie offer you submitted (Valuemags,Mercury, Rewardsurvey) but usually no more than a month. You should call GQ (1-800-289-9330) and ask them to find it. But it may have just not gone thru which is why I usually submit more than once, using different USA addresses.

You should just try again - here's a freebie GQ offer - https://gentlemansbox.com/free-year-of-gq-magazine/

Oh also, GQ is published by Conde Naste which has a terrible customer login system, where you have to create a login account using your email address.
I find it's not very good at finding your account which is why I usually end up phoning to ask for my account number and to ask them to change my address.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12430 posts
4029 upvotes
Oakville
pathfinder35 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2016 11:33 am
It depends on which freebie offer you submitted (Valuemags,Mercury, Rewardsurvey) but usually no more than a month. You should call GQ (1-800-289-9330) and ask them to find it. But it may have just not gone thru which is why I usually submit more than once, using different USA addresses.

You should just try again - here's a freebie GQ offer - https://gentlemansbox.com/free-year-of-gq-magazine/

Oh also, GQ is published by Conde Naste which has a terrible customer login system, where you have to create a login account using your email address.
I find it's not very good at finding your account which is why I usually end up phoning to ask for my account number and to ask them to change my address.
I've signed up for 4 different GQ freebies, and not one of them has been able to be found on the GQ login system. Bah, I have too many free magazines right now any way :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
5074 posts
8955 upvotes
Comox Valley, BC
wearysky wrote:
Apr 7th, 2016 3:47 pm
I've signed up for 4 different GQ freebies, and not one of them has been able to be found on the GQ login system. Bah, I have too many free magazines right now any way :)
Again, I would suggest try calling to see if they can find them. I just signed up twice for GQ thru Rewardsurvey.com on Apr 1 so we'll see if I can find those in the coming weeks.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
5074 posts
8955 upvotes
Comox Valley, BC
wearysky wrote:
Apr 7th, 2016 3:47 pm
RestIsHistory wrote:
Apr 7th, 2016 10:30 am

pathfinder35 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2016 4:25 pm
Again, I would suggest try calling to see if they can find them. I just signed up twice for GQ thru Rewardsurvey.com on Apr 1 so we'll see if I can find those in the coming weeks.
I checked today and both my GQ subs were created (today - Apr 8) and I was able to change the address. I bypassed the initial 'create login with email address' screen by entering a made-up email address and password and then on the next screen, entered my name and US address to find the sub.