Freebies

How to get free US magazine subscriptions - in Canada!

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2016 3:05 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10059 posts
2980 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kdotc wrote:
Mar 5th, 2007 11:08 pm
this is wat i got from thrunner
sorry no orders to Canada allowed at this time, thanks

so im suppose to use us adresa and then change it?
I don't see Thrunner selling any magazine subscriptions on Ebay at the moment... am I missing something?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
8527 posts
439 upvotes
Mississauga
got my EGM too 2 days ago. 2nd out of 3 subs!
Dec 5, 2005
566 posts
67 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Mar 7th, 2007 1:19 am
got my EGM too 2 days ago. 2nd out of 3 subs!
What was the other mag you got? I'm looking for some more subscriptions to buy :)
Jul 7, 2001
142 posts
2 upvotes
I'd recommend people stay away unless you really want to roll the dice. I lost a few bucks on about a half dozen mags to two of the biggest sellers on eBay who started out legit and then started scamming, klwh and cheapest mags. I did end up getting something like 10 mags and only lost about $10-$15 but still, I'm cutting my losses at this point and not trying again,.
Jul 5, 2004
22140 posts
2058 upvotes
othermike wrote:
Mar 8th, 2007 9:13 pm
I'd recommend people stay away unless you really want to roll the dice. I lost a few bucks on about a half dozen mags to two of the biggest sellers on eBay who started out legit and then started scamming, klwh and cheapest mags. I did end up getting something like 10 mags and only lost about $10-$15 but still, I'm cutting my losses at this point and not trying again,.
You just admitted that you got 10 magazine subscriptions and only lost $10 or so. Figure out how much those magazines would have cost normally. I can guarantee you're well ahead of the game, and that's precisely the point of this thread. There's lost of cases of people not getting what they paid for, but most of the time, people are getting exactly what they paid for. I lost $5 or so on a subscription, but I've saved hundreds on many other subscriptions. What is there to complain about? Sure, I got ripped off for like $5, but I'm still so far ahead of where I would have been normally.

It's well worth the risk.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Feb 14, 2004
234 posts
69 upvotes
http://www.fredou.net

You will find on my site a freeware I've just made for keeping records of all my magazines. It is linked with amazon which it is downloading all the information, including cover pages. I have also linked all magazines with their proper subscription management website so you can update your information more easily.

I started this couple months ago when I was subscribing to all those free US Magazines (you can find them in this forum) and I was looking for a way to keep tracking them. However it had so many bugs that is was useless. Since then, I improved it with new functionality and I have also fixed all the bugs I've found on 3 different computers and it seems pretty good so far. Before you ask, I started coding it with a template (as I don't know much about SQLEXpress) that I modified quite a lot a the end. This is my first applications! :)

The SQLExpress will automaticaly ask you for downloading and installing if you don't have it already.

Fredou
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1900 posts
79 upvotes
fredou wrote:
Mar 9th, 2007 12:13 am
http://www.fredou.net

You will find on my site a freeware I've just made for keeping records of all my magazines. It is linked with amazon which it is downloading all the information, including cover pages. I have also linked all magazines with their proper subscription management website so you can update your information more easily.

I started this couple months ago when I was subscribing to all those free US Magazines (you can find them in this forum) and I was looking for a way to keep tracking them. However it had so many bugs that is was useless. Since then, I improved it with new functionality and I have also fixed all the bugs I've found on 3 different computers and it seems pretty good so far. Before you ask, I started coding it with a template (as I don't know much about SQLEXpress) that I modified quite a lot a the end. This is my first applications! :)

The SQLExpress will automaticaly ask you for downloading and installing if you don't have it already.

Fredou
Cool - ill check it out. :cool:
Jul 7, 2001
142 posts
2 upvotes
I'm not complaining, I'm warning people reading this thread and thinking about going into it now. My point is it looks like the gravy train is coming to an end. Two of the most trusted buyers with good feedback in the hundreds have now gone sour, that's in addition to other sellers like anjones etc who ripped people off. It's feeling like at this point it's a much bigger gamble and risk than it was mid-last year. I'm happy with what I came away with but after having 6 straight subscriptions go unfulfilled I'm not going to throw good money after bad.
Shaner wrote:
Mar 8th, 2007 11:29 pm
You just admitted that you got 10 magazine subscriptions and only lost $10 or so. Figure out how much those magazines would have cost normally. I can guarantee you're well ahead of the game, and that's precisely the point of this thread. There's lost of cases of people not getting what they paid for, but most of the time, people are getting exactly what they paid for. I lost $5 or so on a subscription, but I've saved hundreds on many other subscriptions. What is there to complain about? Sure, I got ripped off for like $5, but I'm still so far ahead of where I would have been normally.

It's well worth the risk.
May 28, 2004
736 posts
81 upvotes
Milton
Did anyone get something from loss prevention dept @ ebay on this seller?

I bought R&T magazine from him back in January and it hasn't come but they recommend I get a refund from paypal (although 45 days has passed)
--
Item Title - ROAD & TRACK MAGAZINE 3YR SUBSCRIPTION $9.60 FREE S/H

Our records show that you were a bidder or buyer of one or more of this seller's items. We recently removed this seller's active listings and suspended the seller's trading privileges. Due to privacy concerns we cannot share further details about this seller.
--
Dec 25, 2004
35 posts
Devious wrote:
Mar 11th, 2007 12:13 pm
Did anyone get something from loss prevention dept @ ebay on this seller?

I bought R&T magazine from him back in January and it hasn't come but they recommend I get a refund from paypal (although 45 days has passed)
--
Item Title - ROAD & TRACK MAGAZINE 3YR SUBSCRIPTION $9.60 FREE S/H

Our records show that you were a bidder or buyer of one or more of this seller's items. We recently removed this seller's active listings and suspended the seller's trading privileges. Due to privacy concerns we cannot share further details about this seller.
--
I got this too concerning cheapest magz. 45 days have already passed for me too.
Feb 1, 2006
258 posts
20 upvotes
crazytrain wrote:
Mar 11th, 2007 1:00 pm
I got this too concerning cheapest magz. 45 days have already passed for me too.
I reported cheapest_magzz to you guys last week. I have been burned before so I didn't take any chances....I'm through being patient with these sellers gone bad. I filed for a refund with paypal after 5 weeks when I was unable to access my account online with the publishers. Unfortunately it's a flaw with Ebay where they only give you 45 days to file a dispute for a refund, so there's really no room to sit back and trust the seller when they say it takes 6 to 12 weeks. I did this previously and was unable to get my funds back. The seller politely asked me to be patient and promised my order had been processed. This turned out to be false and the seller was booted off of Ebay because they stiffed alot of people. I don't understand what makes these historically good sellers all of a sudden start to rip off their customers and throw their reputations out the window.
One clear redflag signal with "cheapest_magzz" was the surge of negative feedbacks within a short period. He had close to 7000 positive feedbacks when I decided to purchase from him. It's obviously about building up trust in the community then stiffing several hundred people all at once.
Lesson learned is don't wait past the 45 day purchase protection period to file a dispute with the seller when it comes to these magazine orders.
Also it appears these sellers open new accounts just as fast as their old accounts are shut down. Sometimes they even have multiple idenities already setup.