Cell Phones

How to get a good deal buying a phone outright?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2018 11:06 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
4990 posts
885 upvotes
Peterborough

How to get a good deal buying a phone outright?

I need a new phone. GS7e has a pink line down the right side of the screen.

I have a $65 plan thats unlimited everythin with VM and 10GB of shared data between 2 devices. I dont want to leave that plan, which is with Bell.

I want another Samsung phone. GS8/GS9/Note9. How can I get this for the best deal?

Also, once I buy, do I just pop out the Sim and put it in the new phone or do I have to call the provider and let them know I have a new phone?
23 replies
Jul 11, 2016
21 posts
2 upvotes
I have the same line on my s7 edge.. thinking about a s8/s9 myself (FYI some s8+/s9+ have that same pink line).

I can answer your last question, you just have to switch the sim from your s7e to the new phone (if it uses the same sim card format, which it should).
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
2962 posts
417 upvotes
Markham, ON
lol there are no deals for outright...they make their money by locking you into their ridiculous plans.
AVOID buying dashcams from BlackBoxMyCar (BBMC) Read about their lies and unethical tactics HERE.
Aug 18, 2018
434 posts
247 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
Best way to get a good deal is to either stay one gen behind or buy used (preferably from a trusted seller on RFD). Start by looking at the BST section.
GV/Hangouts + T-Mobile $10/2GB Simple Choice = Win
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2382 posts
291 upvotes
Toronto
Samsung had a $200 trade in promo for Note 9 which expired last week.
Right now you can get 10% off sticker price of S9 with a SPC card.
There should be deals again for black friday.
Aug 18, 2018
434 posts
247 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
Which phones were eligible for the $200 trade in? Typically these Samsung trade in deals are not that great since they really lowball you on your phone.
Dec 4, 2017
262 posts
77 upvotes
For outright purchases, I've been waiting for the right deals to come on Amazon USA, having them shipped to the UPS store in Ogdensburg, NY, and driving down to pick them up myself. That place does brisk business with Canadians. Within Canada, sometimes there are good deals to be had via the Canadian versions of Amazon, Best Buy, Staples, or Newegg. Canada Computers has some as well.

One of the best ways for the patient person, for handsets that are a few months old, is to wait for one-day sales that happen simultaneously on Amazon USA and at Best Buy USA. I never buy the Amazon version of the phone because I just don't trust the ad-laden custom software -- I get the fully unlocked and generic firmware version.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15024 posts
5556 upvotes
Oakville
I'm guessing there will be some decent deals on the S8 on Black Friday. Usually you get a deal on last year's flagships that day.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Aug 18, 2018
434 posts
247 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
IanBrantford wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 5:02 am
For outright purchases, I've been waiting for the right deals to come on Amazon USA, having them shipped to the UPS store in Ogdensburg, NY, and driving down to pick them up myself. That place does brisk business with Canadians. Within Canada, sometimes there are good deals to be had via the Canadian versions of Amazon, Best Buy, Staples, or Newegg. Canada Computers has some as well.

One of the best ways for the patient person, for handsets that are a few months old, is to wait for one-day sales that happen simultaneously on Amazon USA and at Best Buy USA. I never buy the Amazon version of the phone because I just don't trust the ad-laden custom software -- I get the fully unlocked and generic firmware version.
If you can stomach the risk, the absolute best deals on phones are found on the US eBay site. The key is use Paypal so you get 6 months of buyer protection, and also not get too greedy and pass up the too-good-to-be-true deals (ie BNIB for 50% off, either's a fake or or it's stolen).

Also I don't think "Amazon version phones" are a thing unless you're talking about their own Fire Phones. If it's iPhone or Android sold by Amazon, it'll come with either the carrier firmware of your choosing, or a generic factory unbranded one.
Dec 4, 2017
262 posts
77 upvotes
arkane wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 2:24 pm
Also I don't think "Amazon version phones" are a thing unless you're talking about their own Fire Phones. If it's iPhone or Android sold by Amazon, it'll come with either the carrier firmware of your choosing, or a generic factory unbranded one.
Oh, they are very real. "Prime Exclusive" phones typically have a small discount in exchange for coming pre-loaded with Amazon software. Until a recent security fiasco, they even had unavoidable advertising on the lock screen. Amazon had to back down on how intrusive the branded stuff was. I just forgo the adware and get the "Standard Version" of phones.

I don't know how many models have been "Prime Exclusive" over the years, but it's been done with lots of Moto phones. Example:

https://www.amazon.com/Moto-G6-Unlocked ... %2Bg6&th=1
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2538 posts
942 upvotes
Everywhere
IanBrantford wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 5:09 pm
Oh, they are very real. "Prime Exclusive" phones typically have a small discount in exchange for coming pre-loaded with Amazon software. Until a recent security fiasco, they even had unavoidable advertising on the lock screen. Amazon had to back down on how intrusive the branded stuff was. I just forgo the adware and get the "Standard Version" of phones.

I don't know how many models have been "Prime Exclusive" over the years, but it's been done with lots of Moto phones. Example:

https://www.amazon.com/Moto-G6-Unlocked ... %2Bg6&th=1
The lockscreen ads were removed earlier this year. They are no longer discounted. If you bought a phone from Amazon with the lockscreen ads, it was removed free of charge.

https://bgr.com/2018/02/06/amazon-prime ... s-removed/

BTW, you can get the same Moto phone at Costco US for the same price.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2382 posts
291 upvotes
Toronto
arkane wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 2:03 am
Which phones were eligible for the $200 trade in? Typically these Samsung trade in deals are not that great since they really lowball you on your phone.
As long as the phone turns on you will get $200 BONUS trade in. A lot of people will just trade in any value-less dumb phone or ancient smart phone to get $200 off.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
16617 posts
5154 upvotes
Toronto
Good outright deal means not buying carrier phones. Carriers are not phone retailers. They sell cellular service and use phones as bait. Consider shopping non carrier brands.
Koodo $35/5GB and $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo $120/12GB/90 days
Fido $0/3GB
Rogers $25 500U home internet
Tangerine Bank
Aug 18, 2018
434 posts
247 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
ak-47 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 6:27 pm
As long as the phone turns on you will get $200 BONUS trade in. A lot of people will just trade in any value-less dumb phone or ancient smart phone to get $200 off.
That's amazing. All we had down south was "up to $600", and of course to get $600 you had to give them your S9+. What a racket.
will888 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 6:50 pm
Good outright deal means not buying carrier phones. Carriers are not phone retailers. They sell cellular service and use phones as bait. Consider shopping non carrier brands.
You mean factory unlocked versions of carrier branded phones, or phones not offered by any carriers but will work on their network?