Cell Phones

How to get a good deal buying a phone outright?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2018 11:06 am
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
4871 posts
1044 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
dutchca wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 7:45 pm
I need a new phone. GS7e has a pink line down the right side of the screen.

I have a $65 plan thats unlimited everythin with VM and 10GB of shared data between 2 devices. I dont want to leave that plan, which is with Bell.

I want another Samsung phone. GS8/GS9/Note9. How can I get this for the best deal?

Also, once I buy, do I just pop out the Sim and put it in the new phone or do I have to call the provider and let them know I have a new phone?
Sign and cancel.

Freedom Mobile

Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2382 posts
291 upvotes
Toronto
unlocked S9 will be $520 USD at US bestbuy for black friday
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15053 posts
5558 upvotes
Oakville
will888 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 6:50 pm
Good outright deal means not buying carrier phones. Carriers are not phone retailers. They sell cellular service and use phones as bait. Consider shopping non carrier brands.
I mean, it depends on your definition of "buying outright" - from my perspective, all it means is not being locked into a contract. So buying from Koodo and immediately cancelling would still fall under the outright umbrella, from my perspective. But that's just me.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Dec 4, 2017
262 posts
77 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 12:55 pm
I mean, it depends on your definition of "buying outright" - from my perspective, all it means is not being locked into a contract. So buying from Koodo and immediately cancelling would still fall under the outright umbrella, from my perspective. But that's just me.
Buying outright to me means that the entire cost is borne at initial purchase. If you ever have to make an insurance claim, this can make a major difference.
Dec 4, 2017
262 posts
77 upvotes
batcave wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 6:00 pm
The lockscreen ads were removed earlier this year.
Correct.
They are no longer discounted.
Their regular prices are still discounted, but the discount is smaller than before. With the removal of lockscreen ads, Prime phones went up by $20. Their current regular-price discounts are around $10-20. That's not worth it to me to accommodate a bunch of adware, but some obviously find it to be a good deal.
Dec 4, 2017
262 posts
77 upvotes
IanBrantford wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 8:43 am
Correct.

Their regular prices are still discounted, but the discount is smaller than before. With the removal of lockscreen ads, Prime phones went up by $20. Their current regular-price discounts are around $10-20. That's not worth it to me to accommodate a bunch of adware, but some obviously find it to be a good deal.
For those following the Amazon Prime Exclusive chat, they are now on Black Friday discount even more than before. The non-Prime phones are also on sale, but not by as much of a discount.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/11/1 ... right-now/
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2713 posts
547 upvotes
Oshawa
dutchca wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 7:45 pm
How can I get this for the best deal?

Also, once I buy, do I just pop out the Sim and put it in the new phone or do I have to call the provider and let them know I have a new phone?
HAHAHA! Hard to say .... hahahahahahahahah ... what a joke!

No need to tell your provider about getting a new phone! Unnecessary ...
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Nov 10, 2011
380 posts
69 upvotes
Burnaby
Samsung S9, S9+, S8, are going to be on sale (if not already) thru Staples and Best Buy. Google is having a Pixel 3 sale on November 22. Your best bet for purchasing outright.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15053 posts
5558 upvotes
Oakville
AV-Fishing wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 10:49 pm
HAHAHA! Hard to say .... hahahahahahahahah ... what a joke!

No need to tell your provider about getting a new phone! Unnecessary ...
No need to laugh, it may surprise you to learn that some people have never upgraded their phone except through the carrier, so how would they know how it works?
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient