Cell Phones

How to get Google Voice in Canada. Act quickly... this may not last long.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2017 8:59 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20470 upvotes
ktlove18 wrote: Had a Google voice liked to my 403 number for last 6 years, but accidently delinked it last week, now it won't allow me to link the number, anyone has any suggestion on how I can do it. It was linked and i was using it on daily basis.

Pretty angry with myself.:(:(
Stay angry because there is no solution, unless google does make a concerted effort to officially include Canada in this service.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
ktlove18 wrote: Had a Google voice liked to my 403 number for last 6 years, but accidently delinked it last week, now it won't allow me to link the number, anyone has any suggestion on how I can do it. It was linked and i was using it on daily basis.

Pretty angry with myself.:(:(
Are you using the new Google voice android app? I don't think it's compatible with CDN numbers at all, even if they were linked properly. It always asks that the CDN number be reverified, but does not allow reverification.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1129 posts
525 upvotes
Corunna, ON
Are you referring to HangOuts or did I miss something.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
A new Google voice android app got pushed out a couple of weeks ago.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
l69norm wrote: Are you using the new Google voice android app? I don't think it's compatible with CDN numbers at all, even if they were linked properly. It always asks that the CDN number be reverified, but does not allow reverification.
I was in the US a couple of times and could not get that GV one way or the other.
I am trying out 〘 Textme〙 with a local free 647#. Text in, text out and incoming call are free. Outgoing calls are 2 cents a minute. Voice quality wise it is at par with Hangout dialer. I trust that is more manageable then GV AFAIK.
I am still not ditching my $20 Chatr line yet as my boss (AKA wife) is addicted to unlimited traditional calls
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20470 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote: I was in the US a couple of times and could not get that GV one way or the other.
I am trying out 〘 Textme〙 with a local free 647#. Text in, text out and incoming call are free. Outgoing calls are 2 cents a minute. Voice quality wise it is at par with Hangout dialer. I trust that is more manageable then GV AFAIK.
I am still not ditching my $20 Chatr line yet as my boss (AKA wife) is addicted to unlimited traditional calls
It is easy to get a google voice number if you are in the US. You just need access to a phone with a US number that google can call you back on to do the verification. Once that number is verified into your account, then you can add a google voice number to the account. It really is that simple.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1129 posts
525 upvotes
Corunna, ON
I read it has to be a number that's on the Big 4 though and not their subs.

So Verizon, Sprint, At&T and T-Mobile.

I tried on freedompop and it didn't work, but T-Mobile did.
Dec 15, 2009
180 posts
11 upvotes
proplayer44 wrote: I read it has to be a number that's on the Big 4 though and not their subs.

So Verizon, Sprint, At&T and T-Mobile.
It does. They have whittled down what is an acceptable base number to these. My brother wasn't even able to use his office number, he had to use his mobile or his landline.

I don't know that it needs to remain operational, so I presume you could buy burner and use it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I received the dreaded email verification for my google voice number. But they want me to verify my Calgary number which I though stopped working.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20470 upvotes
Gee wrote: I received the dreaded email verification for my google voice number. But they want me to verify my Calgary number which I though stopped working.
Your Calgary number is doomed. When you try to verify, it won't work because verification is as onerous as adding it the first time. You have to use the forwarding service from time to time so that the Calgary number gets some use and doesn't appear dormant.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
will888 wrote: Your Calgary number is doomed. When you try to verify, it won't work because verification is as onerous as adding it the first time. You have to use the forwarding service from time to time so that the Calgary number gets some use and doesn't appear dormant.
Unfortunately. The forwarding service doesn't work. I've always had the number forwarded.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20470 upvotes
Gee wrote: Unfortunately. The forwarding service doesn't work. I've always had the number forwarded.
What do you mean it doesn't work. In my google voice account, I checked my Canadian number as the number for forward calls to. On my phone, I run google voice app to always call using google voice. I also run voice choice app in parallel to apply filters on when to block google voice from doing the calling. I set a filter in voice choice to allow google voice for all out of province and 905 area codes and so that allows me to exercise my Canadian number. Everybody with a 905 area code often ask whether I am vacationing in the US.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
will888 wrote: What do you mean it doesn't work. In my google voice account, I checked my Canadian number as the number for forward calls to. On my phone, I run google voice app to always call using google voice. I also run voice choice app in parallel to apply filters on when to block google voice from doing the calling. I set a filter in voice choice to allow google voice for all out of province and 905 area codes and so that allows me to exercise my Canadian number. Everybody with a 905 area code often ask whether I am vacationing in the US.
My google voice number is not in jeopardy. But I had the number forwarded to a 403 number which was then forwarded to my cell number.

I'm constantly using my google voice number with Hangouts and it works great. My problem is the forwarding to the 403 number doesn't work so well

Google wants me to verify my forwarding number. Which doesn't work.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
6877 posts
1032 upvotes
Calgary
Gee wrote: My google voice number is not in jeopardy. But I had the number forwarded to a 403 number which was then forwarded to my cell number.

I'm constantly using my google voice number with Hangouts and it works great. My problem is the forwarding to the 403 number doesn't work so well

Google wants me to verify my forwarding number. Which doesn't work.
google closed the loophole for 403 numbers awhile ago if your account had no activity....i dont think there is a way to verify 403's anymore unfortunately
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
markj wrote: google closed the loophole for 403 numbers awhile ago if your account had no activity....i dont think there is a way to verify 403's anymore unfortunately
That's the confusing part. My account has had activity. I constantly use it.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20470 upvotes
Gee wrote: That's the confusing part. My account has had activity. I constantly use it.
Are you able to use your account in a way that involves the 403 number? If not, the number becomes inactive and subject to verification.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
will888 wrote: Are you able to use your account in a way that involves the 403 number? If not, the number becomes inactive and subject to verification.
I forward google voice to my 403 number, when someone dials my google voice number, it actually rings the 403 but I am unable to pick up the call because it also rings in Hangouts.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20470 upvotes
Gee wrote: I forward google voice to my 403 number, when someone dials my google voice number, it actually rings the 403 but I am unable to pick up the call because it also rings in Hangouts.
Interesting... So, this isn't sufficient activity to ward off the verification check. My actual phone number is in my google account. So calls to my google voice number forwards to my cell phone. Calls out from my cell line is forwarded through my google voice number so people think they are receiving calls from the US. This kind of periodic activity has allowed me to fend off a verification check.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
I hope my sending SMS messages via hangout will keep my household members' GV numbers (US, non-403) alive.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20470 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: I hope my sending SMS messages via hangout will keep my household members' GV numbers (US, non-403) alive.
Is having to verify the Canadian number that's problematic. Your google voice number will be fine.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)