• Nov 26th, 2010 10:00 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4287 posts
66 upvotes

How to get hired at Best Buy/Future Shop

I'm planning to apply at Best buy or future shop, can someone give me tips to increase chances of getting hired at these stores?
I've dropped off my resume many times before, even when they were hiring, still i didn't get selected. now i learned that they might be hiring again (not sure) so i wanted to know what is it that they look for?

I have a pretty good computer knowledge.
I know a lot about movies
I also know a lot about electronics such as TVs and Sound Systems.

is there anything else i should know...?
and i usually just drop off my resume and fill out the application if they have it. should i also include cover letter ?

thanks.
107 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1758 posts
161 upvotes
First off it wouldn't hurt to fill out the online application

But more importantly, you can't just drop off your resume and expect them to call you. You should realize that they probably get 100s of resumes from people like you everyday. You need to a) give it to a supervisor/manager b) get their name and c) call them again and again and again...be persistent. What's the worse that could happen? You keep bugging them like that and when hiring time does come, there's no way they can't at least remember your name and consider you.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
1133 posts
59 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Oh man.

Step 1 - prove an unparalleled level of incompetence
Step 2 - similar to police training, you must walk through an obsticle course, ignoring all innocent bystanders/consumers...
Step 3 - display mastery of consumer electronics by placing a metal fork in an outlet.... 4 times
Step 4 - supply a list of references from teachers, who can vouch for your ability to come up with ******** excuses why you didn't complete your homework... because lying and deceiving will be part of your new job.

hehehe
Up and Atom!!!
If my thread or post was helpful, a "thank you" is always nice.
My RFD Feedback
My HeatWare
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2002
4985 posts
416 upvotes
I got hired at Best Buy for seasonal before. I just did the online application and got a call back one or two weeks later for an interview. After that interview, I had a call back for another short interview with the store manager, then I got my offer after that interview.

You really have to do the online application well, then you have to interview well.
Jan 22, 2006
417 posts
4 upvotes
fishlips20 wrote:Oh man.

Step 1 - prove an unparalleled level of incompetence
Step 2 - similar to police training, you must walk through an obsticle course, ignoring all innocent bystanders/consumers...
Step 3 - display mastery of consumer electronics by placing a metal fork in an outlet.... 4 times
Step 4 - supply a list of references from teachers, who can vouch for your ability to come up with ******** excuses why you didn't complete your homework... because lying and deceiving will be part of your new job.

hehehe
Another satisfied customer. :D
Dec 28, 2002
970 posts
1 upvote
theres a few questions on the online interview that u have to answer correctly to get an interview or else youll get the good old

you do not meet our requirements n stuf
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2003
4199 posts
154 upvotes
just put in ur resume at a store and talk to the manager.. u might get interview right at the spot..
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2002
3914 posts
1 upvote
During the interview, tell them that you think selling Monster Cables, and Extended Warranties would be the greatest facets of your job. Sell, sell, sell...and that you would sell your soul if you could also sell an extended warranty with it.
My DVDs for sale

"I want you to step back from the guacamole dip! I want you to put the chicken fingers down!"

U2 360 Tour in Vancouver, 2 Tickets for sale http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/pair ... -a-805801/
Oct 25, 2005
576 posts
Rometiklan wrote:During the interview, tell them that you think selling Monster Cables, and Extended Warranties would be the greatest facets of your job. Sell, sell, sell...and that you would sell your soul if you could also sell an extended warranty with it.
yep he's right. That's exactly what I did to get hired at BB :)

They asked me to 'pretend to sell something to him' (the manager) and I sold him a printer and asked him for the extended warranty (i didnt know they were so technical and semantic and called it a PSP). Anyways, he was impressed and I got hired on the spot!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
7220 posts
316 upvotes
xpoint9 wrote: I have a pretty good computer knowledge.
I know a lot about movies
I also know a lot about electronics such as TVs and Sound Systems.
that doesn't matter at all

All they want:
-A+ certification for geek squad/techs
-Answer every question perfectly online
-Referals (if u know someone there, u got a job already)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 19, 2003
7220 posts
316 upvotes
b0rk wrote:yep he's right. That's exactly what I did to get hired at BB :)

They asked me to 'pretend to sell something to him' (the manager) and I sold him a printer and asked him for the extended warranty (i didnt know they were so technical and semantic and called it a PSP). Anyways, he was impressed and I got hired on the spot!

that too

added bonus : you sound like a used car salesman and have experience scamming
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10458 posts
1056 upvotes
First decide what type of position you want, and how much you want to work. NEVER consider this as a career path, you will hate yourself for trying to make it one in the long run.

If you just plan to sell your ass off and rape them for the employee discount, go work at FS instead of best buy, you have a possibility of making commision and may not get crapped on as much.

Do the online app first and wait for a call. If you don't get called, that means they don't like you or don't have a position open. You can reapply, but it may be just as futile if they don't like your refs or skillset. Don't bother dropping off resumes in store, odds of them making it to a manager is miniscule. When you apply on line and if you get an interview in store, use the responses for the questions that give you the best image, plus putting on the face of offering service plans, accessories and related products, and installation or other services as well will help. If you don't, you will likely not get hired.

Just remember unless you want to deal with tons of bs thruout your time there, try to get on part time so you can work as little as necessary but exploit the employee discount and stock purchase plan as much as you can.

They are an ok stepping stone for fair pay and to build your skillset if you are new to electronics or building your resume. You will make better money in the long run with a industrial company or governmental job, so don't waste your time working a full time job there too long...

Here's a site that will give you an idea of the world you are heading into:

www.bestbuysux.org
× < >