Careers

How to get into taxation

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2016 5:09 pm
May 3, 2016
543 posts
76 upvotes

How to get into taxation

I have a B.Comm degree in Accounting. Want to get into Canadian taxation. Can anyone give some advice?

Should I start by taking a H&R block course and hopefully they will hire me during tax season?
21 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2409 posts
765 upvotes
New Brunswick
You can also apply to get your Master of Tax. In which field of taxation are you interested in?

You can do H&R block but they hire one or 2 from the training group.

Have you been applying to tax base jobs? My first job out of school was a Reporting & Tax analyst at a big bank. Firms should be hiring to prep for the tax season.

Have you applied to the CRA? Also, NPO organizations do look for volunteers to help themselves and others to file income taxes.

Also, you should connect through your school and LinkedIn to those that work in tax to get a feel of the field.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1832 posts
1223 upvotes
Depends on what tax you want to get into, personal or corporate tax?
Bcomm degree probably gave you basic basic tax knowledge;
I heard best way to get into tax is either you go into some kind of accounting and specialize in tax afterward or do Master of tax like ones from UofT and do coop and get hired after
May 3, 2016
543 posts
76 upvotes
Umm... I used to be in financial reporting for years but working experiences are that of abroad. Planning to move back to Canada but not sure how hard/easy for me to get a financial reporting job. Therefore, thinking it may be a good idea to get into taxes as it seems there's a lot of demand during tax season. Not sure where to start or should I even.

I'd like to continue my career in financial reporting if at all possible. However, if I need to change field to get a job, I am interested in taxes. Studying for a Master degree is not an option for me though.
raichu1 wrote: You can also apply to get your Master of Tax. In which field of taxation are you interested in?

You can do H&R block but they hire one or 2 from the training group.

Have you been applying to tax base jobs? My first job out of school was a Reporting & Tax analyst at a big bank. Firms should be hiring to prep for the tax season.

Have you applied to the CRA? Also, NPO organizations do look for volunteers to help themselves and others to file income taxes.

Also, you should connect through your school and LinkedIn to those that work in tax to get a feel of the field.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2015
1261 posts
1416 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Foreign experience. Good luck with your job hunt. For someone with years of experience, the fact of the matter is that foreign experience isnt weighted highly at all in Canada similar to all those PEng immigrants working as uber/taxi drivers
May 3, 2016
543 posts
76 upvotes
As someone with years of experience, can you provide any advice for me then? Thank you.
FrugalConsumer wrote: Foreign experience. Good luck with your job hunt. For someone with years of experience, the fact of the matter is that foreign experience isnt weighted highly at all in Canada similar to all those PEng immigrants working as uber/taxi drivers
May 24, 2007
553 posts
213 upvotes
wyho007 wrote: As someone with years of experience, can you provide any advice for me then? Thank you.
FrugalConsumer wrote: Foreign experience. Good luck with your job hunt. For someone with years of experience, the fact of the matter is that foreign experience isnt weighted highly at all in Canada similar to all those PEng immigrants working as uber/taxi drivers
Try applying to real FR jobs to test the market first. If no response, maybe try lowering your standards to HR block. Meanwhile, volunteer for tax clinics or local CPA chapters and network w/ peers.
Nov 9, 2013
223 posts
56 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
If you have previous financial reporting experience, my opinion is that it is probably easier for you to get a job in financial reporting more than tax. Your skills are more transferable from outside Canada especially if you have IFRS experience. Not only that, you will likely be able to move into a higher level role in financial reporting. Not sure at what level in the ladder you were working during your years of working outside Canada.

If you were to get into tax, I think it's likely you would need to start from an entry level position and build your Canadian tax knowledge. If you have an interest in Canadian tax though, when it comes to learning opportunities it's honestly hard to beat working in tax in public practice though you will suffer long hours and generally lower salaries. Source; suffered 4 years in public practice in tax (and counting).
Sep 6, 2016
756 posts
297 upvotes
I am taking the H&R block course

I have an excellent instructor and the book(s) has more 1000 pages !!!
Public Mobile $35 / 4GB LTE a month forever!
Sep 6, 2016
756 posts
297 upvotes
But you should start from low level position
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2015
1261 posts
1416 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MasterPro wrote: I am taking the H&R block course

H&R Block courses are a waste of time and the work experience is equivalent to McDonalds in the tax world. Everyone knows H&R block workers are incompetent and when you bring them any sort of problem with moderate complexity, they'd have to call some sort of support hotline. The only way to get into taxation or some sort of FP&A is to network, network, network. Attend as many professional events as you can to get your name out there.
May 3, 2016
543 posts
76 upvotes
But for someone without any tax experience, should taking some tax courses seen as helpful when looking for a job. Or, are you saying the Bachelor commerce degree is enough to find an employer who's willing to hire and train?
FrugalConsumer wrote:

H&R Block courses are a waste of time and the work experience is equivalent to McDonalds in the tax world. Everyone knows H&R block workers are incompetent and when you bring them any sort of problem with moderate complexity, they'd have to call some sort of support hotline. The only way to get into taxation or some sort of FP&A is to network, network, network. Attend as many professional events as you can to get your name out there.
May 3, 2016
543 posts
76 upvotes
What's the chance of being hired by H&R block, if not, by other tax firms after taking the course?

H&R block only offers one course on personal income tax, right? How do you evaluate the H&R block course with others, e.g. Liberty Tax?
MasterPro wrote: But you should start from low level position
Sep 6, 2016
756 posts
297 upvotes
FrugalConsumer wrote:

this depending on your aspirations

For someone the university will be a waste of time.
Sep 6, 2016
756 posts
297 upvotes
I tried to take the liberty course and I find some mistakes like they forgot to change numbers according the new year

I tried to take softron course - however 30 hours is like zero
HR Block has 100 hours in the class plus homework plus two assignments, plus two exams

I have 1000 pages books about taxes: it is more than enough

Yes, you may spend your time or you may learn
It is your choice.

We started from the very beginning and go in the depth

How you can do complex things if you do not know the basic?
Sep 6, 2016
756 posts
297 upvotes
wyho007 wrote:
H&R block only offers one course on personal income tax, right?
It is not try. I have an access to two courses at the same time )))

It is in one book.

HR block course has an excellent extra materials
May 24, 2007
553 posts
213 upvotes
To be quite blunt. If I am looking for a junior level staff and I find out that you have been working for HR Block.... It will actually hurt your chances... I would happily hire someone without experience who seems promising and eager to learn over someone who worked at H&R block. Also, presumably you don't want to be a preparer for the rest of your life, you wanna be able to move up and start working on tax planning such as roll overs, estate planning...etc. Your best bet is to work at a public practice firm... nowhere else can give you these experience.

In my experience, every tax staff I know has worked on a file that has been previously handled by H&R Block and they have somehow screwed it up...

Of course this is just my opinion... What I think you should do is:
1. Take a college level course on Canadian taxation. Most of these courses will include a lab session on how to use either Taxprep (big to medium sized firms) or Profile (small firm). Market that on your CV. Your teacher is most likely a practicing practitioner who can connect you to potential employer.
2. Get a standard tax textbook such as Byrd & Chen (Comes with a trial version of Profile and sample T1s and T2s you can play around with)
3. Volunteer at a tax clinic this year: Please see link - http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/volunteer/

These 3 steps should get you started. let me know if you have any questions.
May 3, 2016
543 posts
76 upvotes
Thank you very much for your input. Does it matter what time of the year to do what's best? I can't start until late March next year, assuming volunteer at tax clinic is out of the question?
Jokkon wrote: To be quite blunt. If I am looking for a junior level staff and I find out that you have been working for HR Block.... It will actually hurt your chances... I would happily hire someone without experience who seems promising and eager to learn over someone who worked at H&R block. Also, presumably you don't want to be a preparer for the rest of your life, you wanna be able to move up and start working on tax planning such as roll overs, estate planning...etc. Your best bet is to work at a public practice firm... nowhere else can give you these experience.

In my experience, every tax staff I know has worked on a file that has been previously handled by H&R Block and they have somehow screwed it up...

Of course this is just my opinion... What I think you should do is:
1. Take a college level course on Canadian taxation. Most of these courses will include a lab session on how to use either Taxprep (big to medium sized firms) or Profile (small firm). Market that on your CV. Your teacher is most likely a practicing practitioner who can connect you to potential employer.
2. Get a standard tax textbook such as Byrd & Chen (Comes with a trial version of Profile and sample T1s and T2s you can play around with)
3. Volunteer at a tax clinic this year: Please see link - http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/volunteer/

These 3 steps should get you started. let me know if you have any questions.
May 24, 2007
553 posts
213 upvotes
You don't need to be an expert in tax to volunteer for tax clinic. They provide training and you are just entering slips. They wouldn't let you do self employed, investments or even rental. Let alone more complicated issues like partial residency.... or making any manual elections. Start next tax season. It's fun. I did two years worth of that during my undergrad. And it definitely helped me and gave me an idea of what it's like to be a preparer.

Bigger Firms hire mostly during January and September. And hire a few throughout the year as they need or when ppl leave. Those are the periods when they hire the most.

In your situation, Your best bet would be a small firm; ppl come and go during the year. You have a better chance of getting in. Once you have a year or two exp, jump to a bigger firm or a more senior role.

It's gonna be hard... you are competing with young recent grads plus designated more seasoned ppl looking to get into public practice. But as long as you don't give up and keep networking, volunteering, use your schools career resources I am sure you will find one soon.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2015
1261 posts
1416 upvotes
Toronto, ON
A BComm from a decent school is enough to get any entry-level tax position. If they hire co-op/interns, 2)6 wouldnt they hire a graduate? Also, there are many small tax firms that look to hire hardworking individuals, especially before busy season. They are often overshadowed by the big 4 and mid sized because they simply dont have the resources to throw big recruitment events. Again, taking a course at H&R block will provide the same if not less value than some volunteer position mentoring high-risk youth. If you want to do more schooling, then start completing COA modules to show that you are competent.

In the end, its all about networking. Entry level accounting jobs arent about what you know, but who you know. Firms want to hire someone who can hold a conversation well. I've had friends with C+ averages get into big 4 by networking when other friends with A averages lose out on big 4 recruitment because they are awkward.