Careers

How to get a job as a car salesman or salesman.?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2008 5:57 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 28, 2005
545 posts
58 upvotes
TORONTO

How to get a job as a car salesman or salesman.?

hey guys

well bascially iam a highschool student in grade 11 only bad thing is that all my marks are applid courses and arent very high iam good at some business courses and very good at selling things and communicating and very good at computer grahics also.

just wondering when i get my highschool degree and if i cant get into university will college help? and how would i start and what are the basic things and skills you need to know as a car salesman or other types of salesman out there.

also is there a job that involves electronics and selling?

i want a pretty good stable job at least 12/h to start out with.
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2005
5625 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
if you dont mind sales, look into upper management at a big box store. might take time to work your way up, but it sould be solid all the way through.
:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) it took me 45 minutes to make this signature :(
Dec 8, 2003
906 posts
2 upvotes
To go into auto sales, a friend of mine went to Automotive Sales College. Dealerships tend to hire off lists that the colleges provide them.

You can find more details here:
http://www.visitasc.com/html/lookingforwork.htm

I don't know how much it costs or anything, but its a 3 week course...so I'm guessing a couple thousand bucks.
Apr 20, 2004
390 posts
2 upvotes
GTA
if you're looking for a car salesman job my suggestion would be to go to a few dealerships and ask for an application, see if you can talk to the manager (used or new cars) for a few minutes. if you really want the job, ask him if he'll take you on a volunteer for 2 weeks just to test your salesmanship skills...hope this helps..
eat
drink
sleep
repeat

Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5658 posts
2586 upvotes
Victoria
Do people who sell cars get commission only?
Jan 9, 2005
672 posts
Vancouver, BC
Yes its usually commision only, some companies might offer you a 1 month salery or a draw but if you don't earn more in commision than your token salary chances are you wont be there long. Its rather difficult to get in really young. I would not pay to go to a school to learn to sell cars.

You can walk into a dealership and talk to the sales manager, be direct and upfront that you want to be a salesman, you'll work for free etc but the issue is that dealerships spend a tonne of money to bring the customers to the lot and want people who can get business not scare off people.

You might get lucky, don't try and get into the luxury market, they will laugh you out the door, your best bet is small independant dealers ( who are cuthtroat, they will screw you :) or companies like ford, hyundai or even chrysler.
INSERT SIGNATURE HERE OR HERE OR HERE BUT NOT HERE OR HERE Do you have a bad case of mahjongmaniacitis?
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3302 posts
141 upvotes
They hire in spring, (high buying season) look for advertisements and go to local dealerships, they will advise. You need to take a test they give you that will determine if you're suitable material (a lot of questions, timed, that will help them decide if they should throw $ into your training). If you're approved, they show you the ropes for a month or so... then send you to training courses. You're assigned dealership now expects you to perform (you get quotas you have to meet, this is the point that morals fall) or you're out and the next one down the line takes over. Usually by the middle of summer... you have proven yourself or mostly not. They keep the best and thin the rest. It's a bit of an eye opener if you have a sales career in mind (the pressure to perfom is high, most start to drink). I wouldn't recommend auto sales as a career, look for something a little less demanding and more $.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
Do you need to take a course or something? I think there is regulated guide line you must follow to be a car salesman. I could be wrong though.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
3589 posts
132 upvotes
Cochrane
This is something I'd like to try out for down the road. It's about confidence, persuasion, and it's quite gratifying that something I said helped them with their decision. I'm sure phone inbound soft sales is not in any way close to being a car salesman, but it's made me brave/foolish enough to give it a chance.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2509 posts
126 upvotes
if you are serous about being in sales i would recommend being part of this crew

www.cpsa.com

they also offer sales training as well.. this is the big leagues of sales people so i'm not sure if it would be too advanced for you yet..
they normally recommend people with some business background.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
1199 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
Grow a moustache, grease up your hair and wear bright coloured blazers (red or yellow). You'd be a shoe-in.

On a more serious note, I think the guys here have made some good suggestions. You might wanna get your start doing sales at Futureshop or Bestbuy (they always seem to be hiring).
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2677 posts
261 upvotes
springroll wrote:Grow a moustache, grease up your hair and wear bright coloured blazers (red or yellow). You'd be a shoe-in.

On a more serious note, I think the guys here have made some good suggestions. You might wanna get your start doing sales at Futureshop or Bestbuy (they always seem to be hiring).
Good suggestion on Futureshop/BB. I'd strongly recommend FS over BB...but I'm partial as I'm an FS employee! You get commission and no wage if you are a Product Expert (ask for it in the interview or you'll never get it) so its a real feel for sales.

The money is superb as well if you know your stuff.
× < >