How to get out Bell cell phone contract

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2011 9:48 am
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2008
1281 posts
39 upvotes
Langley
I would really love to hear how fair the OP thinks it would be if Bell suddenly called them and told them that they did not care that the contract was for 3 years and they were extending it to 4. I am sure they would be on here ranting and threatening to sue. Why do people think that its fair for them to try to weasel out of legal contract that they sign but complain if the corporation they signed with wants to make them honour it?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2008
6964 posts
63 upvotes
Ottawa
Your best bet quite frankly is to wait for your 1 year to be up, and that should reduce the cancellation fee to $400. Or if you wait for the full 1 year to be up, you can remove the data without penalty, and keep your basic plan as someone else mentioned.
Jan 20, 2011
6 posts
Mississauga
Hopefully you learn a lesson from this debacle you have gotten yourself into. Never use any Bell product. I myself learned the hard way.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19026 posts
1480 upvotes
vdubber wrote:
Jan 19th, 2011 10:43 pm
if you read your contract, it says early cancellation fees are $20/ month and a maximum of $400
they are trying to stiff you
He probably also has a data ECF too, which is additional.

People really have to start paying attention to their contacts they sign with these cell companies. I sign contracts to get free phones too, but I know what I am signing when I do it.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19026 posts
1480 upvotes
Ursal751 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2011 2:29 am
Hopefully you learn a lesson from this debacle you have gotten yourself into. Never use any Bell product. I myself learned the hard way.
The lesson should be "read the damn contract you sign'. This has nothing to do with Bell as all cell phone companies require hefty ECF fees unless you pay a bunch for the phone. This guy should not be signing things he doesn't understand - 6 months into the contact and he wants to bail? This SCREAMS immature.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
4302 posts
210 upvotes
Farm
bell doesn't have a 'maximum' like Rogers does. you pay $20 for the remaining months.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3405 posts
621 upvotes
al3x89 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2011 2:38 pm
bell doesn't have a 'maximum' like Rogers does. you pay $20 for the remaining months.

Bell does have a maximum. $400 + your DECF.
Sep 14, 2008
138 posts
5 upvotes
I hate Bell, I hate it when their telemarketers call, when the canvassers come to the door and when they send regular mail with their new improved Internet -NOT INTERESTED - and people should really ask the customer service, before they sign a contract, how much it will cost to get out of.
Anyones better than Bell, who uses Bell for cell usage :lol:
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
120 upvotes
Barbara Ann wrote:
Jan 25th, 2011 7:19 pm
who uses Bell for cell usage :lol:

People who don't live in Southern Ontario? Population wise Rogers has good coverage but geographically they are missing a lot.
Nov 14, 2005
371 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Hunter316 wrote:
Jan 20th, 2011 11:23 pm
I would really love to hear how fair the OP thinks it would be if Bell suddenly called them and told them that they did not care that the contract was for 3 years and they were extending it to 4. I am sure they would be on here ranting and threatening to sue. Why do people think that its fair for them to try to weasel out of legal contract that they sign but complain if the corporation they signed with wants to make them honour it?
Yeah, sure. That's why there should be a contract termination penalty. However, the amounts they are charging are a bit excessive - and seemingly arbitrary.

I have a blackberry with Bell with 16 months left on a 36 month plan ($65/month for data and voice). They want $540 to terminate. I find that excessive as that is over 50% of my monthly charge. But maybe that's just me and you're right, I'm being a baby. Perhaps if it was $250 or $300...

The fact that these termination fees are going up and up shows just how desperate Bell is getting trying to claw every cent they can milk out of their customers anyway they can.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6057 posts
737 upvotes
Greely
cynan wrote:
Feb 18th, 2011 6:48 pm
Yeah, sure. That's why there should be a contract termination penalty. However, the amounts they are charging are a bit excessive - and seemingly arbitrary.

I have a blackberry with Bell with 16 months left on a 36 month plan ($65/month for data and voice). They want $540 to terminate. I find that excessive as that is over 50% of my monthly charge. But maybe that's just me and you're right, I'm being a baby. Perhaps if it was $250 or $300...

The fact that these termination fees are going up and up shows just how desperate Bell is getting trying to claw every cent they can milk out of their customers anyway they can.

Was the ECF not outlined in the contract before you signed it and agreed to it?
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2010
1220 posts
203 upvotes
Toronto
expensive lesson you've just learnt
"signature removed for rule violations" Hell ya, that's what we do! 😝
Jan 10, 2011
33 posts
Richmond Hill
dandon wrote:
Jan 18th, 2011 9:21 pm
I have a three year bell plan, and about 2 and half year left. I want to get out this crappy plan which cost me 60+tax. However, bell told me I need to pay 720$ something to get out of this? Is there any easy way to get rid of it? Thanks.

I don't think you can. There will be a penality charge. A friend of mine living in Waterloo area, where the phone reception for the bell phone is very bad, wants to cancel the service. She is been told that Bell is working on improving the signal but she can not cancel the phone. She got stuck with phone that hardly has any signal.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6920 posts
1654 upvotes
It is possible, however very unlikely that you can get out the contract. But, it can be done, and even done for FREE!

Remember, contracts work both ways, not just you contracted to Bell, they are also contracted to you.

Watch your bill very closely every month. If it changes even 1 cent up or down, from what you have signed to pay, or if a service you have signed to have changes in any way. Call them up and tell them they have breached the contract, and you want out, free of any ECF.

This has been done in the past, so there is a precedent for it, but I say your odds of catching them in a mistake is not too likely.

Good luck, but I think you are in it for the long haul.