Entrepreneurship & Small Business

How to get a package into USPS system.... from Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2017 11:24 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 16, 2007
228 posts
47 upvotes

How to get a package into USPS system.... from Canada?

The goal is to ship 1lb of merchandise from Toronto to Japan, using a service with tracking info, for cheap.

CanadaPost's only option is XpressPost Intl, for about $55 CAD.
USPS has Priority Mail International for about $26 USD. Less than 1/2 price.
Other couriers (fedex, ups, etc) are far more expensive, so that rules them out.

USPS prepaid shipping labels can be printed online.
But how do I get the package into the USPS system, when I reside in Canada?
20 replies
Nov 24, 2007
501 posts
74 upvotes
frogblender wrote: The goal is to ship 1lb of merchandise from Toronto to Japan, using a service with tracking info, for cheap.

Other couriers (fedex, ups, etc) are far more expensive, so that rules them out.

USPS doesn't let Canadians pay for postage online, at least they didn't when I tried a year back.

Check out E-Shipper. You should be able to ship UPS Expedited with E-Shipper, assuming the box is small, for around $35. Saves you driving to the states as well.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2007
6814 posts
581 upvotes
Looks like you'd have to send it to the states, then have them send it Japan. 1 lb to the states would run you under $20, so you'd probably be cheaper, but I doubt that hassle is worth it.
Aug 16, 2007
228 posts
47 upvotes
RJones89 wrote: USPS doesn't let Canadians pay for postage online, at least they didn't when I tried a year back.
I had the same problem, also a year back. Although I haven't done this, I believe a solution is to register on USPS using a US address, and use a credit card with the SAME address. I called Amex at the time to find out why USPS kept declining the card - the problem was mismatched addresses, and Amex was willing to change the card's billing address to my freight forwarder in NY, same as what I'd used when registering on USPS. I never followed through, so no guarantees.

RJones89 wrote: Check out E-Shipper. You should be able to ship UPS Expedited with E-Shipper, assuming the box is small, for around $35. Saves you driving to the states as well.
OOohh, $36.36 UPS Worldwide Expedited. RJones89 is da man!
Dec 12, 2009
49 posts
GTA
Are you shipping this regularly or is this just one package?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
232 upvotes
frogblender wrote: The goal is to ship 1lb of merchandise from Toronto to Japan, using a service with tracking info, for cheap.

Drive to the states and mail it, otherwise deal with it. This is how the mail works. :facepalm:
Aug 16, 2007
228 posts
47 upvotes
jason9945 wrote: Drive to the states and mail it, otherwise deal with it. This is how the mail works. :facepalm:

There are more solutions other than driving to the USA, or "dealing with it" (whatever that means).
Mar 1, 2011
5 posts
oakville
We have similar problem. We have to send small parcels
and mail (20 to 50 daily) to our US customers.
In the most cases we are loosing competitive edge if we are using
UPS or FedEx (usually $ 20 for ground service per parcel)
or we are loosing speed with Canada Post (7-10 days!).
Looks like USPS rates, speed and services would be perfect for us but how to
send our mail and parcels using USPS without driving to US daily???!!
Dec 12, 2009
49 posts
GTA
Depending on the size of your parcels, how about sending them with FedEx ground to a U.S contact or warehouse, consolidated in a couple of larger boxes with the USPS postage on them. They could then be distributed into the USPS system. Or if you have 20 or 50 a day I can set you up with something similar but using great FedEx domestic ground rates from the U.S. side.
Mar 1, 2011
5 posts
oakville
Experienced wrote: Depending on the size of your parcels, how about sending them with FedEx ground to a U.S contact or warehouse, consolidated in a couple of larger boxes with the USPS postage on them. They could then be distributed into the USPS system. Or if you have 20 or 50 a day I can set you up with something similar but using great FedEx domestic ground rates from the U.S. side.
I am listening ??? Please tell me how? :?: :?: :confused:
Sep 27, 2010
75 posts
4 upvotes
Parkhill, ON
[QUOTE]consolidated in a couple of larger boxes with the USPS postage on them[/QUOTE]

and where exactly would you get the USPS postage to put on them?
Feb 28, 2015
1 posts
Scarborough, ON
I'm selling sneaker on amazon and ebay. around 10 a day can you help me ship to how to ship it use usps.

Thanks,

Wilson

Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
7140 posts
3513 upvotes
Also check out Flagship courier solutions. It sounds the same as E-shipper.
They basically have good volume deal rates with Fedex, UPS, and Purolator - so they will get you good rates that you couldn't get otherwise. USPS is not included in that list though.....
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
3302 posts
1042 upvotes
Alberta
SomeOtherDude wrote: why hasn't anyone mentioned ChitChats express??
Because this is a 4 year old thread someone dug up to spam.