Home & Garden

How to get rid of garbage stank in garage.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2019 7:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2955 posts
1462 upvotes
Burlington

How to get rid of garbage stank in garage.

Long story short, I was out of the country for a week and the person who was house-sitting left maybe like 6-7 bags of garbage sitting in the garage. I came back to the WORST smell I have ever experienced *. This was probably a mix of rotting chicken, cat litter, garbage juice, all sitting in my garage during what was a heat wave in Ontario. The entire house smelled, it was like rotting garbage everywhere.

Needless to say I've gotten rid of the garbage, washed down the floors and emptied something like two boxes of baking soda all over the floor to soak up the smell, but it still stinks when I go in there. I have a fan running 24/7 and I've put in like 4 scented candles to either minimize or replace the smell.

My question is....has something absorbed the stank? I cant explicitly smell it on anything, but the room itself just has a residual stink in it. The garage is basically just a concrete floor and drywall with metal racks and wooden shelfs as storage, nothing that I think could really.

I'm going to get some vinegar and wash the shit out of the floor, but I don't know if all I can do now is wait for the smell to dissipate.

TL:DR this is like an episode of seinfeld but in my garage.
Last edited by MrDisco on Jul 12th, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: seriously unnecessary
16 replies
Penalty Box
Apr 19, 2017
828 posts
635 upvotes
1. Do the wash with vinegar
2. Buy Glad garbage bags that come with built in Febreze.
Last edited by MrDisco on Jul 12th, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: original post was edited
CucuCovers, GreatCanadianRebates, LendingLoop, Mintos, PayMi, Stack, Tangerine, TransferWise, Uber, Wealthsimple
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2123 posts
1441 upvotes
SW Ontario
Leave the garage door up/open during the day for a day or two to air it out ...
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2955 posts
1462 upvotes
Burlington
Jojo_Madman wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 11:23 am
Leave the garage door up/open during the day for a day or two to air it out ...
Did that the day I got back and I've been doing it pretty consistently, doesn't seem to be fixing the problem....
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6220 posts
2495 upvotes
Alberta
Spray a can of Lysol in the garage and keep the door closed for awhile. Works for me.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1330 posts
719 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Rotting meat is terrible. The smell of death gets soaked in the walls and lingers for a very very long time.
Good luck.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3864 posts
3032 upvotes
Toronto
You've been focusing on the floors, but that's only one of the six surfaces in your garage. You also need to clean the walls and ceiling. Drywall and paint will absorb scents easily. TSP (get at any hardware store) is the preferred cleaner for painted drywall.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11790 posts
6101 upvotes
Toronto
Sievert wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 1:01 pm
Rotting meat is terrible. The smell of death gets soaked in the walls and lingers for a very very long time.
Good luck.
Yes, I remember your thread about the dead body and blood. What happened in the end?
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1330 posts
719 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
koffey wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 1:55 pm
Yes, I remember your thread about the dead body and blood. What happened in the end?
I made a thread about a dead body and blood? I had a tenant that caused havoc. There was some blood on the ceiling but that wasn't the real problem.
Someone committed suicide in an apartment building where some people I know live. The body was found after the smell leaked into the hallway. I heard that the stench was horrendous. I think they ended up having to gut the walls and replace the carpets.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11790 posts
6101 upvotes
Toronto
Sievert wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 2:03 pm
I made a thread about a dead body and blood? I had a tenant that caused havoc. There was some blood on the ceiling but that wasn't the real problem.
Someone committed suicide in an apartment building where some people I know live. The body was found after the smell leaked into the hallway. I heard that the stench was horrendous. I think they ended up having to gut the walls and replace the carpets.
Ah, that was it. Close enough lol
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2955 posts
1462 upvotes
Burlington
TomLafinsky wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 2:03 pm
Pour a gallon of bleach on the floor and leave garage doors closed. The stinky smell should be replaced by the smell of the bleach and then gradually the smell of the bleach will go away. Use two gallons for double garage, three gallons for three car garage.
Just got back from Fortinos...

I bought 2 gallons of bleach, some vinegar and lysol. When I get home i'm going to sweep up all the baking soda, then pour down some bleach and leave the vingar out in the open.

Hopefully that will get rid of the stank. I will report back if it worked.

The cashier looked at me like I was disposing of a body. Missed opportunity, should have bought a shovel while I was there.....
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11790 posts
6101 upvotes
Toronto

DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 18, 2014
602 posts
374 upvotes
Markham, ON
drywall absorb smells and odor...

to really get rid of it you might need to replace the drywall entirely
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2123 posts
1441 upvotes
SW Ontario
Dpack22 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2019 12:06 pm
Did that the day I got back and I've been doing it pretty consistently, doesn't seem to be fixing the problem....
Oh ... ugh!
That has to be pretty nasty then to still linger like that.

Any sort of material or fabrics in the garage as they tend to be bad for absorbing smells?

The bleach idea seems rather sound to me and I'd be trying that or something else to replace the smell ... pinesol might be another option.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4537 posts
1411 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Can try Odoban as well if smell still exist.