• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2007 5:19 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 28, 2005
491 posts
3 upvotes

How to get rid of spiders?

my house is about 3 years old, I noticed there are a lot of spider webs outside of my house, some of the spiders are quite big, my question is why are there so many spiders and how can I get rid of them?
18 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24630 posts
2352 upvotes
Ottawa
You can spray with any number of products that are available on the market. One is as good as another. You won't get them all though, just know that. Also, winter (shudder) is coming and spiders begin to migrate to the warmth (yep, the warmest place is your house).
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28263 posts
803 upvotes
Spiders are your friends.
Hail Eris!
Nov 20, 2002
848 posts
6 upvotes
Edmonton
how about a paper towel and a quick hand!
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
1134 posts
17 upvotes
Home defense Max got rid of almost everything in my basement except the occasional (maybe once a month I see 1) little bug/house centipede.
Sep 4, 2006
213 posts
5 upvotes
hagbard wrote:
Sep 1st, 2007 10:18 am
yeah, don't you like spider man?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2007
1445 posts
hagbard wrote:
Sep 1st, 2007 10:18 am
That is 100% true. Spiders don't bother humans, while eating thousands of smaller insects which are bothersome to man.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 28, 2005
6323 posts
40 upvotes
Im having a similar problem with spiders, but in the winter i dont mind them. They get all sluggish and slow and killing them is pretty easy. I never was bothered with spiders before, but these black monsters in mississauga are a little gross when they run across the floor at night. I cant believe the size of these spiders.
- Private Investigator...contact me for your surveillance needs.
[OP]
Mar 28, 2005
491 posts
3 upvotes
it is getting out of control, my house and deck is covered in spider webs, and they have invaded the basement as well, I saw 4 huge ones today, about the size of a dime. I went to Rona today, didn't find Home defense Max, so picked up a can of CIL spider killer spray, but it was simply not good enough. I need something professinal grade and lots of it, so I can spray my whole house. Anyone know where I can find Home defense Max or something that's effective at killing spiders?
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2005
1134 posts
17 upvotes
newatthis wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2007 12:49 am
it is getting out of control, my house and deck is covered in spider webs, and they have invaded the basement as well, I saw 4 huge ones today, about the size of a dime. I went to Rona today, didn't find Home defense Max, so picked up a can of CIL spider killer spray, but it was simply not good enough. I need something professinal grade and lots of it, so I can spray my whole house. Anyone know where I can find Home defense Max or something that's effective at killing spiders?
Canadian tire/Home Depot... I was searching around for over a week untill I was clued in by a relative in Orangeville (!) that they had 1 last one in stock. I didnt care so I made the trip. I think everyone is just buying it cause its good.

Dont waste your time with those CIL stuff and raid, I believe they are only for killing the spiders ONCE you spot them, not like home defense max where you should not see them at all, maybe rarely.
Feb 18, 2006
867 posts
13 upvotes
If there are tons of spiders inside your house, then the spiders are merely a sign of another more serious problem that you have. Spiders eat bugs. Your house = full of bugs. Try sealing up any cracks and stuff around the exterior of your home. Eat only in the kitchen, and keep everything in it clean. Just think each spider you see in your house is eating a few bugs EVERY DAY. If that wasn't the case, the spiders will die off. Personally when I get the odd spider in my house I leave him be, as he will kill off any other bugs that manage to sneak in. Spiders also eat eachother, and if they aren't culling the herd, then they are being well fed from all the bugs in your house. Also spiders outside yuor home are very benificial, to kill mosquites/moths and stuff.
Mar 14, 2007
719 posts
ya, most houses have alot of spiders and bugs. so fully seel ur house, meaning the windows, cracks and doors.
I saw spiders coming in my house via the windows, i was like wtf....
cracks in the basement, removing the carpet, leaving the space meant an entrance for bugs and spiders.!
May 23, 2004
673 posts
16 upvotes
House centipedes eat spiders...You could always introduce some to your place.

although if I had the choice between 20 spiders or one of these, I'd choose the spiders!

Feb 18, 2006
867 posts
13 upvotes
NeilMcduck wrote:
Sep 4th, 2007 1:46 pm
House centipedes eat spiders...You could always introduce some to your place.

although if I had the choice between 20 spiders or one of these, I'd choose the spiders!

You're nuts if you introduce those to your house!! Those things are sick. I literally have a heart attack everytime I see one of them, plus they bite > :( . If you have lots of spiders in your house, the house centipede is probably already established. Also for anyone having a problem with house centipedes the first thing you want to look at is the humidity in the basement. They love humidity, and also silverfish (a tiny bug, which loves humidity as well, do a search on google for what they look like) is the house centipedes favorite food. Get rid of the humidity, and silverfish will die out, leaving the house centipede without food.

God I hate those things!!!!!!!!!!! Even the picture freaks me out.
× < >