• Dec 25th, 2012 5:00 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 28, 2008
988 posts
149 upvotes

How to get Rogers iPhone 5 unlocked after porting out

The other day, I found a really good plan from Bell and ported out my number from Rogers without finding out how I can unlock the iPhone 5 before the automatic cancellation took place. Will Rogers still unlock the iPhone 5 despite my account is closed?
I think I meet all the Rogers iPhone unlock conditions but the first one (Account closed).
If the account is an issue, can I open a pay as you go account for 30 days and request unlock? What do you guys think?

****************************************************************************************************************************
Have an account in good standing
Have paid the un-subsidized / no term cost for the device at least 30 days prior OR have finished their Commitment Period (contract)
Unlock a device which is listed in their equipment history (no grey market devices)
Pay a $50 unlocking fee plus applicable taxes (note: prepaid customers must have a $50 plus the applicable taxes, balance on their account)
9 replies
[OP]
Feb 28, 2008
988 posts
149 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 9:12 pm
Call and ask or head over to their live support. I would think yes but not entirely sure.
Thanks. I will try to call them tomorrow. One more question. Since I will be paying the early cancellation fee, is this consider paying out subsidiary?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
43364 posts
3061 upvotes
Toronto
bose wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 9:19 pm
Thanks. I will try to call them tomorrow. One more question. Since I will be paying the early cancellation fee, is this consider paying out subsidiary?
Yes!

ECF is just paying for the rest of the phone since you got it for a discounted price when you activated/HUP'ed the line.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2008
988 posts
149 upvotes
bose wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 9:11 pm
The other day, I found a really good plan from Bell and ported out my number from Rogers without finding out how I can unlock the iPhone 5 before the automatic cancellation took place. Will Rogers still unlock the iPhone 5 despite my account is closed?
I think I meet all the Rogers iPhone unlock conditions but the first one (Account closed).
If the account is an issue, can I open a pay as you go account for 30 days and request unlock? What do you guys think?

****************************************************************************************************************************
Have an account in good standing
Have paid the un-subsidized / no term cost for the device at least 30 days prior OR have finished their Commitment Period (contract)
Unlock a device which is listed in their equipment history (no grey market devices)
Pay a $50 unlocking fee plus applicable taxes (note: prepaid customers must have a $50 plus the applicable taxes, balance on their account)
Update!!!

I guess the Rogers isn't as bad as I thought. They unlocked both my iPhone4S and iPhone5 without too much issue. I was going to trade it with Bell iPhones but I guess I don't have to and unlocking increased the resale value of the phone tremendously.
I am very happy.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2008
988 posts
149 upvotes
napoleon1769 wrote:
Dec 25th, 2012 4:09 am
Did you have to pay?
They charged me $50 each. It is way cheaper than ebay. The unlock from ebay is $150 for 4S and whopping $350 for 5.
I dont know why anyone pay $350 to unlock 5, but I saw plenty of people bought the service from sales history.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2004
2944 posts
148 upvotes
bose wrote:
Dec 25th, 2012 8:34 am
They charged me $50 each. It is way cheaper than ebay. The unlock from ebay is $150 for 4S and whopping $350 for 5.
I dont know why anyone pay $350 to unlock 5, but I saw plenty of people bought the service from sales history.
Because the people who do the unlocking have people inside Rogers/Bell/Telus/Apple. A bunch of them got caught for unauthorized unlocking.
[OP]
Feb 28, 2008
988 posts
149 upvotes
tmpz wrote:
Dec 25th, 2012 11:03 am
Because the people who do the unlocking have people inside Rogers/Bell/Telus/Apple. A bunch of them got caught for unauthorized unlocking.
Why does Rogers unlock from ebay cost way more than Telus? 4S: $150 vs $50. i5: $350 vs $50. I guess Rogers employees are greedier than Telus employees like the company they work for...
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2004
2944 posts
148 upvotes
bose wrote:
Dec 25th, 2012 2:23 pm
Why does Rogers unlock from ebay cost way more than Telus? 4S: $150 vs $50. i5: $350 vs $50. I guess Rogers employees are greedier than Telus employees like the company they work for...
I guess the risk and how many people are willing to do it. Rogers/Telus will do it legitimately for $50, but only if you're out of contract. You'll have to go the ebay route for $150+ if you're on contract.
× < >