Pets

How to get sample of Costco's Kirkland dog food?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2012 11:36 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1020 posts
35 upvotes
Montreal

How to get sample of Costco's Kirkland dog food?

Hi,
We'd like to try Costco's Kirkland food for our puppy and was wondering how to get a sample as their bags are too big.

We just want to make sure she can ate the new food before doing a full switch...
Got Heat?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3320 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
It's Costco, so if your dog doesn't like it then you can return the opened bag for a refund. In fact many pet stores does this, I know with Global you can definitely returned an opened bag of food if your pet didn't like it. Many brands of pet food don't come in sample sizes.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2006
1962 posts
189 upvotes
Orleans
Just buy the bag. If the dog doesn't like it, donate it to the local dog shelter. :)
Jun 7, 2010
62 posts
3 upvotes
They'll take it back if your dog doesn't like it. Plus the puppy food is only $15 for a massive bag, so if for any reason they didn't take it back, you could donate it to a shelter like poulet mentioned and you won't be out much.

We fed our pug puppy the Costco food until now-but we are switching him to a grain free food now that he needs to switch to adult food.
Jul 5, 2004
21321 posts
1568 upvotes
When switching food you should stick with the new food for at least 6 weeks to allow your dog time to adjust. Unless there are obvious Problens, then Of course you should switch sooner.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Banned
Jun 30, 2012
513 posts
21 upvotes
Just buy the dog food bag sir, I know you can return it within 7 days if the dog does not like it.
Nov 3, 2009
413 posts
97 upvotes
Agreed with all the others -- just buy it. Costco is great at returns.

We've had to return two types from there that my dog Toby didn't like (wouldn't eat it after first try-- even when mixed with his old one he did, he'd "pick around" the new stuff to get at the old stuff). Also had to return two open bags during the recall (as well as two closed ones), again not a problem.
Nov 30, 2007
630 posts
12 upvotes
I know this is a personal choice, but ugh please don't buy Kirkland food for your pets. These foods are the equivalent of buying hungry man dinners for a human. Sure, they're technically complete but.. Ugh. Yes it's more money to buy higher quality food but... Anyway, I don't mean to preach but if there's any chance you can afford it, any chance..

One thing to note, there is much good to a wet food that is relatively inexpensive called Lean Cuts. It's not top shelf dry food, but it's pretty stellar for a wet food, no fancy excessive ingredients.
Jun 19, 2010
79 posts
9 upvotes
andsoitgoes wrote:
Aug 1st, 2012 3:55 am
I know this is a personal choice, but ugh please don't buy Kirkland food for your pets. These foods are the equivalent of buying hungry man dinners for a human. Sure, they're technically complete but.. Ugh. Yes it's more money to buy higher quality food but... Anyway, I don't mean to preach but if there's any chance you can afford it, any chance..

One thing to note, there is much good to a wet food that is relatively inexpensive called Lean Cuts. It's not top shelf dry food, but it's pretty stellar for a wet food, no fancy excessive ingredients.
If you look at the ingredients in Costco pet food, they are as good or better than the ingredients in quite a few of the "quality foods" that are heavily marketed and promoted by many veterinarians. My only concern about Costco pet food is that it is made by Diamond which has had at least a couple significant recalls in the past. It has decent ingredients for an excellent price and my cats and my dog do well on it.
Nov 30, 2007
630 posts
12 upvotes
emmsmama wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2012 8:33 pm
If you look at the ingredients in Costco pet food, they are as good or better than the ingredients in quite a few of the "quality foods" that are heavily marketed and promoted by many veterinarians. My only concern about Costco pet food is that it is made by Diamond which has had at least a couple significant recalls in the past. It has decent ingredients for an excellent price and my cats and my dog do well on it.
You know what, I take back what I said. After looking at the ingredients and comparing it to the food I spend a LOT more on... It's not bad AT ALL. It's still better to go raw or really HQ dry food (Go, I'm looking at you!) but this is a bazillion times better than almost any other "regular" dry food available (Iams and such).

So please, by all means snag this. I do see your concerns with Diamond, and I think that may have clouded my judgement and it still worries me regarding long term usage, but if I remember correctly there were loads of kibble producers that were hit. It wasn't just diamond I don't think.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7525 posts
372 upvotes
andsoitgoes wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2012 11:39 pm
You know what, I take back what I said. After looking at the ingredients and comparing it to the food I spend a LOT more on... It's not bad AT ALL. It's still better to go raw or really HQ dry food (Go, I'm looking at you!) but this is a bazillion times better than almost any other "regular" dry food available (Iams and such).
I'm glad you looked further into it. Most people don't. I have found a lot of people just jump on Kirkland pet food and harp on it w/o really looking into what's in it and automatically assume it's crap. No, it's not a 5* dog food... but it's not the 1* stuff everyone seems to automatically think it is. Especially their Nature's domain food which is grain free.

I agree w/ the above posters, it is definitely not a bad food, just some hesistance because of the occasional recalls.

We don't feed our dog Kirkland but let me tell you, sometimes I wonder whether Orijen is worth 3x the price considering the ingredients aren't that far off. I don't even feed myself the quality of food I feed my dog!
Dec 22, 2006
193 posts
52 upvotes
My one dog has a sensitive stomach and would get diarrhea easily.
Since I have switched him to Kirklands Natures Domain Grain free dog food he NEVER gets diarrhea, and has smaller stools.
For around $30 for a 35lb bag, you can't go wrong...

Even the regular Kirklands puppy(or dog) food is a decent kibble. Puppy food just has more fat than regular.
Just buy a bag and try it. If your dog doesn't like it (he will like it) then Costco will give you a full refund.
× < >